1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I guess it's happening

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CameOutSwinging, May 11, 2016.

1. CameOutSwinging

I've agreed to take the apartment my friend's aunt has available.

It's a step. What it means entirely I don't know yet. In factual terms it means I'll have my own place (well, with roommates, and yes they're my FWBs) and won't be living with my "wife" anymore or depending on her family's extra apartment for when she wants space.

But does it mean we've broken up? She still refuses to end it with me, even after saying in no uncertain terms "I don't want to be in a relationship." When I even remotely suggested that we were seemingly breaking up, she became angry and said that her saying what she said didn't mean that she didn't want us to still be a couple. Except that's literally what those words mean! It seems more and more like she wants me to be the bad guy. That this can't end unless I end it. And maybe once I officially move (by June 1 if not sooner) and get some space away from her, it will be easier to actually do. I still find it so incredibly hard. Even when she's confusing me or being awful towards me.

I was talking to an acquaintance at the gym today who went through something similar (ending an engagement, not the sexual orientation stuff) and he agreed, sometimes it's better to be the asshole instead of the idiot. Staying with somebody who has basically said they don't want to be with you even if they won't actually break up with you makes you kind of an idiot. Or me, I suppose, kind of an idiot.

Anyway, baby step one complete. The apartment is mine.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with your friend, if it helps her move on to think your being the bad guy, then let her have the emotion.

This sounds like massive progress to the extent you do move June 1st. Stay focused on accomplishing this objective. It might be a difficult few weeks, but you have the rest of your life at stake.

Oh, and as a reward to yourself, after you move break in the apartment with your fwb couple you mentioned in the last post!

#2 OnTheHighway, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. CameOutSwinging

They'll be living in the room right on the other side of the apartment, so that's definitely the plan! :lol:

I like how you framed this - that I should focus on the first step, which is moving into the apartment. The landlady said we could move as soon as the people living there now (who, not so ironically, is my ex-girlfriend and her fiancé...this is like Monica's apartment on Friends. Everybody has lived there!) move out. She won't even charge us extra for whatever time in May that covers. They're supposed to move this Sunday, so I suppose I might be able to by next weekend.

I've given that "take things one step at a time" advice plenty. Now I should take that advice!

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep us apprised. I am very keen to hear how you get on.

5. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    COS

Congratulations on moving forward. I am usually one that cheers for the survival of marriage. But, the way you have described your relationship with your wife is not one of those. Best luck.

6. AndyG

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Be the "bad guy". Take that burden off of her shoulders. Easy advice to give, really difficult to do I know... I wish I had done this at your age. Sounds like in your particular situation, you'll both be better off.

Good luck!

7. CameOutSwinging

I have to admit, I'm feeling so much guilt right now with this. It becomes more and more clear that I have to do this, but I'm just so bad at it. Ugh.

8. Butterfly2016

Good work bro. And stay strong. You're doing the right thing :slight_smile:

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe it would help you to feel less guilt if you consider maybe she wants you to break it off. That you're doing her a disservice by staying with her. she probably wants to move on too but doesn't know how.

#9 baristajedi, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  10. CameOutSwinging

The guilt is coming from her saying that she doesn't want us to break up. She's giving me mixed signals, and I know that has to do with her and really I need to just decide what is best for me, but it felt better when I thought we were on the same page. Heck, her saying she doesn't want to be in a relationship and wants to focus on herself and maybe just work on our friendship is part of what pushed me to thinking about breaking up.

I feel like we're playing relationship chicken.

11. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why don't you take her out of the equation for the moment and think about what you from your life and then man up and do what is necessary to get it? Sometimes you have to close one door before opening another. Decide what you want and then go for it. Don't let guilt sway you into staying in a relationship that you are lukewarm about and then find yourself married a decade or two later regretting your decision that was influenced by guilt. You need to own the decision, and you'll find yourself a stronger person for doing so.

#11 SiennaFire, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey COS

You have provided us lots of evidence as to why you should divorce. Can you share why you shouldn't? Why stay?

13. CameOutSwinging

Taking this apartment and actioning an actual change is my first step in this, the way I see it. I think when I feel less dependent on her, it could make the emotional aspects much more clear and easier to deal with as well. It's pretty hard feeling broken in a relationship when you still live together, etc. You're totally right though, choosing to take this apartment made me feel strong. Choosing to not let fear stop me from doing something made me feel strong. I think it's probably clear my self esteem isn't the highest, so even these little steps of feeling stronger help. It's just like exercising. I'm building up my self-confidence muscles. I wish it were more physical and less emotional though. I'll still take a jab to the head anyday over half this stuff.

---------- Post added 13th May 2016 at 03:58 AM ----------

For a long time, I thought "because I love her" was enough of a reason. It's not, intellectually I know that.

If we're being totally honest, I've probably stuck around this long because of my own issues. My fear of abandonment. Of being alone. My codependency. My genuine fear of change. The fear of being seen as a bad guy.

I feel like I've had moments of strength, where I was ready to step up and say we need to end this and move on. And in those moments I've had myself easily convinced, both by myself, by my wife, and by my family to not shake things up. To keep things status quo and just deal. My aunt literally said to me once that happiness isn't everything. I've had people extremely close to me play into my biggest fears, and I've been too weak to stand up and say no, this is what I need.

I actually haven't told my aunts that I'm taking this apartment. Because I don't want to hear them disagree with me. I'm in enough conflict with myself about this, I don't need people telling me I'm making a mistake.

Everybody on here has been extremely supportive. All of my friends have been supportive. I love my family and I know they want what they think is best for me. And I've made some bad decisions in my life. But a lot of those were driven by feeling like I had to do things in secret, that it was the only way I was allowed to be happy. I'm 32, I'm officially tired of not doing whatever makes me happy. And figuring out what that even is.

14. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've already made your decision. Your challenge is to own it and become committed so that you don't flip-flop when you face obstacles. It's hard when your decision hurts someone you love. I felt a lot of guilt coming out to my wife, but I had to make a choice and be selfish in a good way (assertive is a better word). I was called a selfish faggot by my wife because I stood up for myself. I reclaimed the term and let her remarks nourish me because I was standing up for myself and doing right by me for the first time in my life. Yes, that's really scary.

It is about building muscles and taking baby steps (though moving out is more than a baby step). As you take more action you begin to develop muscles and the strength to take on bigger items. You're on the right track.

#14 SiennaFire, May 13, 2016
  15. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey COS

I think a lot of us get married because the institution of marriage offers safety and stability. While it does do these things, when my marriage has been at its best these were minor parts. The marriage should provide a basis, and an environment for growth. If it is not, then it is just a hole to crawl into and let the world go by outside.

Siennafire mentioned using my experience climbing to help deal with coming out to my wife. My marriage used to be like a climb. We would each belay the other and catch them when/if they fell. In the end we reached a summit that neither of us could have reached alone.

Lately, I have crawled into the den of marriage and curled up. It was not working. My bisexuality is just another climb we are going to work on. I am excited about this now.

If there is nothing in your marriage that is providing the platform for you to grow, then it is not really a marriage.

16. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How about taking a more pragmatic approach for the time being. Ignore the guilt. You can deal with that a bit later, and you will need to (and there are people on here whom can help you do that). In the meantime, stay focused on the most immediate initiative at hand which you have set for yourself. Moving out.

Not sure you have seen this in my other posts, but as I went through times like this, I imagined myself to be a racehorse at the gate. As that horse, I had blinders on. Those blinders kept me from seeing my opponents on each side or behind me; where those opponents were their to hold me back and beat me in the race. With those blinders, I am only able to look straight ahead, and in front of me is the finish line. The gates open and the race starts, and I sprint as fast as possible to the finish line, with no attention to what is next to me or behind me.

Then once I finished the race, I had a chance to regroup, let my heart rate slow down, and recover from the extremities the race caused.

Try this out for size. Then lets engage once you hit the finish line to begin the real healing.

#16 OnTheHighway, May 13, 2016
  17. CapColors

What everyone else here has said!

Except I still object to moving in with your FWBs. That does not seem like a good idea for someone who can't break anything off. Also mixing money and friendship is usually asking for trouble.

Manhattan is full of roomies. Find some ugly but nice women (sorry to be an asshole here but basically people you aren't attracted to) and go date around for a while.

18. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    COS

After reading Cap's post. I wonder if you are in a similar place with me about sex. That having sex somehow validates yourself? You are trading your marriage for an apartment with a sure thing across the hallway? Just theorizing here. I am trying to get out of this ugly place for me where I asked my wife to validate our marriage with this single metric.

Still, probably, a step in the right direction.

19. CameOutSwinging

I think it is totally valid to say I use sex as validation. It's not why I'm moving in with my FWBs. They just happen to need a place too and so it makes sense. And we'll have a month to month lease, so if it doesn't work out, we can move whenever. But I think it will be fine.

20. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you use sex as validation or are you codependent and need companionship?