1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Stuck Again

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by 1Tiny0wl, May 14, 2016.

1. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So a little background, I'm lesbian in a straight marriage. Having a hard time finding a job and making friends. (Ok fine, having a hard time with life in general). If kids weren't involved I wouldn't mind couch surfing with family members but thats not an option right now. Lately I'm not sure what I am supposed to do, I don't really have anyone to talk to and although am seeing a therapist I have not mentioned the issues with my sexual orientation. I'm honestly scared to bring it up. At his point I feel so hopeless. :frowning2:

2. Butterfly2016

You and I are so alike its unreal. We can help each other. Hopefully.

3. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. I think so too :slight_smile:
    I really hope things start to look up for both of us soon.

#3 1Tiny0wl, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  4. TravelerMe

Why not bring it up with your therapist? What could you be afraid of in that setting?

5. marriedcd

I agree with Traveler me, bring it up in therapy, if that is your conduit/outlet use it.

6. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know that I need to bring it up, but I am the type of person that has a hard time opening up to people. I know that I've posted here on EC but face to face is really hard for me. Part of anxiety I suppose. And other than to my husband and here on EC I haven't told anyone about being gay so it's still hard for me to say aloud.

7. bi2me

I've found that the more (admittedly small number of) people I've told, the easier it's gotten. This week, I told someone I barely knew (but knew through a friend was bi), and I didn't even flinch or stutter my way through. Your therapist should be able to handle it, or s/he isn't a good therapist for you. Good luck!

8. TravelerMe

I'm right there with you. Not out to my wife even. I had to practically drag myself to my therapist but once I broke the seal it has been wonderful and have even joined a gay men's support group via therapy. It all started by just saying it out loud a few times when I was alone.

Try this once. When your alone in the car say it out loud say it louder and louder maybe even look over at another car (at a red light of course) and say it. I did this and I just started laughing and smiling; strangely very therapeutic.

So I kept it up saying it to myself in the mirror; even to my dog. It's fun!

#8 TravelerMe, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  9. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is good advice thank you., I have only recently gone for my second appointment with the therapist so I guess I will try to push myself to tell her the next time I go.

Thank you. I will definitely give this a try. (Honestly I'd rather tell my dog, man/woman's best friend for a reason).