1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chickening out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Katchoo, May 23, 2016.

1. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, I'm kind of looking to feel normal here, so, I'm kind of hoping that people tell me they chickened out a lot.

When you are/were working on coming out, how much did you chicken out? Any patterns that made you chicken out more? What helped/helps you to finally go through with it?

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course I chickened out a lot, it's totally normal. :slight_smile:. I wrote and rewrote my thoughts on how to come out to my siblings and mom a million times before talking to them. But I think the most obvious chickening out was with my Dad. First it was th excuse, it has to be face to face (which is tough because I live overseas from my family; and note that I didn't wait for that with the rest of my family or my 2 besties). Then when he visited, I totally chickened out through his whole trip. I finally did it on my trip home last month.

I think the most useful thing for me was to make myself accountable by setting s deadline/goal date and telling a friend about my plans to come out. Then I felt accountable.

And just general encouragement to myself or from friends helped too, listening to music that pumped me up, etc.

#2 baristajedi, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chicken out plenty.

4. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is very normal! I have felt that too, and still do/am going through it with some people.

It was a commitment (sort of a deadline) that helped get out first. I had decided that I *did* want to be out, and I *did* want to (among other things) get involved and volunteer with our LGBT Center. I went down to the Center, introduced myself (very easy step saying "I'm bi" in a friendly setting) , and I signed up to help set up PrideFest last Saturday, 8am to noon. Having committed to that, that meant I definitely had to next come out to my band, it was right for them to know. So the first commitment drove the second one.

Coming out to my band leader didn't go as planned because band practice got postponed, but I'd told her I wanted to talk. I went through with it, she was great. I figured I'd tell the rest of the band at our next show. Well, at the show, we got to setting up equipment, sound check, and so on, and I couldn't find a good time, so I mighta been chickening a bit again. I also wondered if they knew (I had told band leader when I came out that it was okay to tell, that was the whole idea). My guitar player was more friendly than usual. The other singer's dad, who is a rightwing news guy, put his hand on my shoulder and gave a warm welcome too. Very strange.

After the show, the guitar player came up to me and told me the leader had filled them all in, and they were all 100% supporting me. It was so awesome, a life moment I'll never forget.

I still have a way to go, but I'm getting there. But yeah, I've chickened too, a lot probably.

Sorry for the long story. It is really interesting to me some of the reactions, especially the righty dad. I might be the first LGBT person he knows? Another reason to come out?

Good luck, Katchoo. You can do it, you will do great.

5. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I chickened out the day before I came out to my wife. I decided to cancel everything, tell my wife my anxiety made me crazy and crawl back into the closet. So, yes it is so difficult to say it.

Frankly, I had made such a big deal on this forum about my coming out day that I felt I couldn't go back. So, I waited till as late in the day as I could.

We each have our own way of doing this. For me, it was a deadline. For others, it just needs to be right in the moment. Or, even an accidental outing.

I think it also depends on how important it is to come out. My marriage was dying due to my deceit. So, I had motivation.

6. mrj2688

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am out to my entire family, but not a single one of my friends. Telling my friends is much more difficult for me. I'll be in a situation where it would be natural to mention it, and I just chicken out every time. I also don't have many friends where I live--they're basically scattered around the country. So, I'll need to tell them each individually. I'm not sure it'll ever happen.

7. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have chickened out many times. I think setting deadlines helps. When I used to go out with a girl I didn't tell anyone for ages then ended up telling loads of friends at once. I don't like or mean to make big announcements but somehow I end up doing that.

For me I think once you tell one person that often leads to telling another. There are definitely some people that I think if I tell X then I really must also tell Y.

Also, do you think it is bad to tell some people via message or email or whatever? (And I mean people you could easily tell face to face)? I have been thinking about doing this lately. It seems like it's own form of chickening out but saves on awkwardness maybe?

8. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just called my brother, who is halfway through a 900 mile drive. He told me he got fired from his job this morning. I did not manage to counter with an I like the ladies disclosure. I think there is no such thing as a perfect time. Might call him back and try again. I mean, he has like another 6 or 7 hours of boring driving today.

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There really is no "right time". I kept thinking the same with my Dad during my trip home, that the timing was terrible. But then I just blurted it out. Sometimes you can't plan a right time.

You can do it katchoo! We're all behind you!

10. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm slowly starting to realize this myself....I don't think I'll be in the closet for much longer...gotta stop chickening out.

We're all behind you Katchoo, you can do this!

11. Morgana

Chickening out is normal. What you're doing can be difficult, and there's no shame in waiting. The best thing I can say is... don't wait forever. There's nothing wrong with postponing because of bad timing, or the person to whom you want to talk is having a crappy day. But ... If the ONLY reason you're waiting is because you're scared, you should find a way to stop waiting.

Talking to my mom was hard, but I think it was easier because it wasn't planned. We had been talking about therapy for my stepdad, who is dealing with some painful life issues, and I mentioned that I'd been in therapy myself. Of course, being my mom, she was worried about me, and asked me for what I was talking to a therapist.

So I told her.

Fortunately, it went well, and she is very accepting. She doesn't always understand why I do things, but she knows I'm her son and she loves me no matter what.

I'm right here behind you, Katchoo. And I'll be here afterwards to hear how it went and offer high-fives, or perhaps hugs as needed.

Morgana

12. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally normal, I was wavering today. I'm looking for a new job and got a sudden irrational fear, that no one would hire me if they heard I was "one of the gays". But then I thought of all the LGBT people I know of around town, I always see them at their jobs. Everyone's right, you can do it. There's nothing wrong with going at your own pace.

13. CameOutSwinging

I almost called my wedding off to my "wife" (we didn't go through with the legal part of getting married, just had the party) at least 5 times before it happened. Actually talked about it. I actually told her I was gay. Sometimes calmly. Sometimes in huge fights. And every time I was out and it was done, I chickened out on all the changes it would mean and went back on it. Said I wasn't gay after all, or that I was still just figuring it out. That I wanted to get married. All of that.

I almost feel like I've spent the past 10 months becoming an expert at chickening out. I could give classes in how to not follow through with something that is good for you.

I keep having moments of thinking I should back out from the apartment I've agreed to take. I'm forcing myself to not give in to that and to follow through with the decision to move. I haven't quite gone as far as to end my relationship. We'll be separated, but I don't think either one of us has 100% thrown in the towel. Partly its hard to do when you're still living together. And partly I'm still so afraid of what happens if I just throw the towel in, especially since she won't do it. It has to be me.

So for now, I'm considering it a win that I haven't chickened out on taking the apartment. It's what I've got to hang my hat on at the moment.

14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah, i chickened out more than a few times. you will say it when you have to and when you're ready.:slight_smile:

15. kypso

Oh my word, I chicken out on a daily basis. I feel elated when I tell someone, however irrelevant the information seems to them.
    I still chicken out, every day

16. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for being so supportive, friends.

I am being a bum today. Doing my job? What's that? I am practcing coming out to my cat. This is a good thing to try. I feel better having explained my gayness to my kitty several times. So glad he knows now, lol. Im going to try calling my brother again and see if I can pull it off. Over the weekend I wasnt really able to play my Power Playlist. But, I can now....

Haha, im feeling so sensitive! I just was telling the cat about my college roommate. He turned around to lay the other way. I panicked a bit, thinking, oh no! He turned his back! Hes rejecting me! Lol, lol. So sensitive.

17. brians34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Katch, for the 5 people I just recently came out to, now 6 because I just talked to my doctor, I didn't come right out and say I'm gay.

My chicken way of doing it, I told them that Debbie and I were splitting up. I let them get that shock going, then I said, "I've decided to come out". It took them all a little to understand what I was saying, but when they got it, I think the shock of me telling them we were splitting up took a little sting off the other. So it was a little chicken of me, but it got me through it.

Good luck and in your own time. Just muster up that courage and rip that bandaid off my friend.

18. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Listening to the power playlist to pump up. Got my batwoman underwear, my dapper clothes from goodwill yesterday. May need to go have several fingers of rum in a glass of juice. I should at least hold the phone....

Freudian typing. Instaid of phone, I just typed run. My scared feels are ok! My sad feelz are ok! I want to be casual and strong, but its ok if I show the feelz, even on the call. Deep breath.

19. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cried when I came out to my dad. It's ok to show all your feelz. :slight_smile: you just do what feels right to you.

20. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn, this rum is going to make me puke. Sorry, rum and juice, you can't come on my journey today. Gotta call.... .... .... Yeah. Gonna call.