1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Positive Attitude

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, May 24, 2016.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Last night, as I travelled for work and settled into my hotel bed, desiring instead to be going to sleep next to my partner, I had time to reflect on my journey and think about how I have progressed so far.

As all of us on EC continue to face our demons, confront challenges and, at each of our own pace, overcome those challenges. So, late in the evening, I was pushing myself while staring at the blank ceiling from my non-descript bed to consider what attribute provided the foundation for me to finally find myself.

And through thick and think, the emotional ups and downs, confrontation of the unknowns, I considered how I always saw the glass half full, even during my darkest hours.

A Positive Attitude: this is what saw me through it all.

The consideration that I can put things right, that I can win the horse race towards self realisation, that while I may not be in full and complete control, I do have an ability to encourage and manipulate myself towards the outcome I desire.

A positive attitude has helped me get through the depressions, the family traumas, the professional uncertainties, the questions of acceptance by others, and the overall risks to my health and wellbeing that I perceived would occur having come out, even the financial implications.

Positive attitude also encourages me to continue the fight where I can to help others in similar situations. To support equality initiatives where I can, to know that we, as an LGBT community, still have a way to go but we can achieve the full acceptance we all deserve.

I ask each of you to think about where you are on your journey, consider how your attitude has helped or hindered your progress, and no matter where you are on that journey, look at the glass as half full rather than half empty. A positive attitude can be medicine in of itself to help you get through the difficult times, and accelerate your progress during the good times.

From one of my favourite Monty Python movies - Life of Brian: "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"!

#1 OnTheHighway, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love this post. I'm so glad you are in a place of peace, and I appreciate you sharing how you've gotten there. What helped you find that positive attitude? When did you feel you gained that healthy perspective to help you get through the tough times?

As for me: it's interesting to see you post this because I was thinking about this general idea of positivity just a few days ago.

It's kind of my natural inclination to think positively, even when I'm struggling. But I hit a wall when I started coming out, and started facing the truly unrelenting negativity between my husband and I at that point. I felt like I was fighting an internal battle to keep reaching for a positive outlook but unable to see anything good anymore. It was not just that I was struggling and going through s tough time, I was also angry at myself that I couldn't find resolve, optimism, some strain of positivity. Because it has always been a thing I have tried to hold onto through every part of my life, even the really shitty times. And ivd gone through some shitty times, some things that i've shared on here, some that I haven't.

But then I started thinking a few days ago, was this sense of positivity *really* a part of my internal core my whole life the way I always believed? Was it really? I think I have always really reached towards that internal sense of positivity, clung to it; I went through all the motions of being positive. But I don't know if I've had it most of my life. There are periods of my life, when I've taken risks, been willing to be vulnerable and pushed for positive change, and in those times, I did have true positivity.

I think I have finally reached a point now, as well, where I do indeed feel a true sense of positivity. And I believe that at the heart of it is this journey on coming out. I'm *so* far from having sorted out my life, but I feel like things are clearer, and I know I can do what I need to do to forge the path that is true to me. I have confidence, I've shed a lot of shame, and I don't feel regret about the past or apprehension about the future. I feel truly positive right now, and I think that this will get me through the rough patches ahead; I know there will be some super rough patches ahead.

Perhaps this sense of positivity will come and go as I face challenges and I get a knock to my confidence, but I'd like to believe that we can't so into a deep sense of positivity that can persist through hard times. I don't know for me whether that's the level of positivity I've reached or whether I'm just in a good place right now. We shall see. But I'd like to think I can maintain this as part of my core attitude and perspective.

---------- Post added 24th May 2016 at 12:29 AM ----------

Typo: what I meant to say was - I'd like to believe we can tap into a deep sense of positivity that can persist through the hard times.

#2 baristajedi, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016