1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I did it...update 1

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by quebec, May 24, 2016.

1. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently posted that I came out to my wife on May 17th. Update...last night before we went to bed she wanted to talk. My heart rate went through the roof! I had told her that my therapist had expressed concern for her. After all I have dealt with being gay and hiding for 55 years and she had known for 4 days. That's a huge adjustment. She told me that at first she was just plain shocked, then in complete denial and finally she accepted it. She told me that she realized that I had given up part of my self so that I could have a family better than what I grew up with and because I always wanted to be a teacher. She said she was proud of me for making that commitment when I was only 15 and loved me more now than ever. I cried myself to sleep....more to come.

2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. Excellent! Do you feel the weight suddenly gone from way down deep? So happy for you!

3. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    !!!! This is the sweetest thing!! I am so proud of you, and I'm so proud of her! All the feelz! (*hug*)

4. marriedcd

That is so awesome! Great to hear

5. Butterfly2016

So brave. Now if only I could do what you did...I'd give anything to be myself again. Literally anything.

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never thought it would work out like this. I thought I'd either hide for the rest of my life or something would happen to give me away and the result would be terrible. To have things work out like this is so far beyond my wildest dreams that I'm still in shock and probably will be for a while. The horrible weight is gone, but sometimes I forget after carrying it for 55 years....then suddenly I remember...she knows and I don't have to hide anymore...then the tears start.

7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how this feels. I have been smiling and laughing myself for 5 days after coming out to my wife of 30 plus years. My wife and I can hardly keep our hands off each other with the new intimacy that this honesty has provided.

This is so good for you and your wife! Congrats again! Best to you as you start a new phase of your life!

8. MOGUY

That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you both!