1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Queer Comics

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Katchoo, May 25, 2016.

1. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, this morning I read All-New X-men #40 and Uncanny X-Men #600, which have the Iceman Comes Out scenes in them. So good. (Thanks, Marvel Unlimited!!!)

What comics/manga/anime do you enjoy that have queer themes? I'm sure the Manga/Anime list will be super long.

Obviously I'm a big fan of Strangers in Paradise, though I've only read about 5 volumes. Super good. I really resonate with Katchoo and Francine's perpetual friendlationship.

I want Kitty Pryde and Illyana to wind up together so much. Made me a little mad in Uncanny #600 when Illyana was trying to get her brother to be with Kitty. Grr. Go get her yourself, Illyana!

Saga has plenty of gay characters, including Izabel. Wish there were more major plots around queer stuff.

Ratqueens has some queer characters. Jedi, I think you would like that book. :slight_smile: I should give it another shot. Ijust had trouble focusing on it.

Kaptara is super gay and awesome. I've only read the first issue, but it was hilarious and awesome. If you liked He-Man...

Though Sex Criminals doesn't have anything queer that I remember, it's super sex positive, awesome, and hilarious.

I just want to read all the gay comics right now. Any other recommendations?

2. Glowing Eyes

I don't read a lot of comics. I like to read Aliens related graphic novels and in one of them there was a woman saying her wife was in a spaceship about to leave the planet. I really like how casual that was. No big scene, no "omg she's gay", at no part is it said she is. She just so happens to be.

#2 Glowing Eyes, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  3. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's kind of how Saga handles Izabel. Just mentions and moves on. It's also why I like the way the podcast Welcome to Night Vale handles queerness.

4. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm definitely going to be following this thread. I only have minimal comic book knowledge but I want to know what you guys all recommend!

Katchoo, what's Ratqueens? I'm excited, I love new reading material!

5. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ratqueens.... How to describe it.... It's set in a fantasy world that has D&D type races, like elves and dwarves, mostly focused on a group of women who do illegal activities together, and they all have BIG personalities. One of them is a hippie hobbit theif (I think she's one of the queer ones). When she was put in charge of food for an expidition, she just brought candy and LSD for lunch. One of them is a Rockabilly style warrior elf. One of them is a hipster dwarf. The other one is a human preistess who is questioning her family's cthulhu-like religion. It's an impressively feminist book to have an all male creative team. I haven't read more than a couple issues. It's a really great book, I just couldn't focus on it, and there were lots of other things I wanted to read.

---------- Post added 25th May 2016 at 02:18 PM ----------

Jedi, here's vol 1, which is blessedly cheap. I love that image does cheap first volumes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1607069458/ref=cm_sw_r_taa_rWErxbN9YPD8E

---------- Post added 25th May 2016 at 02:23 PM ----------

Ah! Lumberjanes! The all agest feminist book about girls' summer camp, in which everyone is at least a little bit queer! It's so fun! https://www.amazon.com/dp/1608866874/ref=cm_sw_r_taa_G0ErxbBQSH0FY

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Thanks for all these recs! I've got some new reading material now!!

7. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Jasika Nicole is one of my celebrety crushes, and she writes/draws comics, mostly about her (queer) life, and she posted them on her website. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Morning
    J+C
    Jasika Nicole Comics

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 02:25 AM ----------

Kate Leth is one of my comics heroes. Her podcast (Less than Live with Kate or Die) helped me to feel comfortable being queer and was a part of me working to come out. Her webcomics (Kate or Die) include some cool queer themes. She has another set of web comics, Ithink called Little Ghost.

All of the comics:
    Archives! | Kate or Die!

Individual comics that are cool:
    Bisexuality: Pt 1 | Kate or Die!
    Bisexuality: Pt 2 | Kate or Die!
    Bisexuality: Pt 3 | Kate or Die!
    Bisexuality: Pt 4 | Kate or Die!
    Biphobia | Kate or Die! <--There exists a tshirt about being the best taco, from this comic.
    Kate or Die!

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 02:25 AM ----------

Kate Leth is one of my comics heroes. Her podcast (Less than Live with Kate or Die) helped me to feel comfortable being queer and was a part of me working to come out. Her webcomics (Kate or Die) include some cool queer themes. She has another set of web comics, Ithink called Little Ghost.

All of the comics:
    Archives! | Kate or Die!

Individual comics that are cool:
    Bisexuality: Pt 1 | Kate or Die!
    Bisexuality: Pt 2 | Kate or Die!
    Bisexuality: Pt 3 | Kate or Die!
    Bisexuality: Pt 4 | Kate or Die!
    Biphobia | Kate or Die! <--There exists a tshirt about being the best taco, from this comic.
    Kate or Die!

8. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Flutters1980

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Dykes to watch out for and the girlfriends manga series.

11. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. mirkku

Hi there! As it turns out I am currently writing my MA dissertation on LGBT in certain comics. It's a lot of fun, but also quite depressing (due to audience reception, not always accepting).

From the big 2 Marvel and DC, you have many current and past comics with LGBT charcaters, and even couples: DC Comics Bombshells, Young Avengers, current Detective Comics, New Avengers, Midnighter...

I highly encourage you to read some IDW series such as JEM (including lesbians, gays and trans main characters) or The Inifite Loop graphic novel (about fighting the heteronormative system + sci-fi greatness), as well as most of Boom! and Oni Press publications, all very LGBT friendly and/or lead! :slight_smile:

13. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I reread volume 1 of The Wicked + The Divine last night. So good! I need to read vols 2 and 3 asap.

On first reading, I missed that one of the characters is a trans woman. Lots of other queerness happening, too. So good. I kinda wanna cosplay Luci from that book, but my app says I will be on my period at dragoncon, and, white pants. Nervous.

#13 Katchoo, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  14. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
  15. AmyBee

Love and Rockets by Los Bros Hernandez has a LOT of queer characters. Maybe as many as more than half. That's just a plus for me because they both draw and write the best stories. Zodiac Starforce, a new comic, has some, too. It's kind of a "magical girl" HS story that's equal parts Sailor Moon and Buffy. Really cool. I really love Wandering Son, a manga by Takako Shimura and also her Sweet Blue Flowers. The first deals at least in part with gender questioning and being young and trans in Japan and the second is a lesbian awakening story that's super beautiful and poignant. Both were adapted into anime, too. I'm starting to get into JEM in that I've bought some issues but I haven't cracked them open yet because I've got so many other things I'm reading at the moment!

---------- Post added 23rd Jun 2016 at 10:21 PM ----------

Oh and Skim by Mariko and Jillian Tamaki. That's a must read.

16. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I really love Wandering Son, a manga by Takako Shimura and also her Sweet Blue Flowers. The first deals at least in part with gender questioning and being young and trans in Japan and the second is a lesbian awakening story that's super beautiful and poignant. Both were adapted into anime, too.

THIS:eusa_clap:grin:

17. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So many things I want to read! Ive looked for hard copies of love and rockets off and on for a while. I bet thats something I should just read digitally.

18. mirkku

Virgil by Steve Orlando and JD Faith is great too! Steve Orlando's works are always amazing.

19. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone