1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Many colours in the homo rainbow, a warm embrace and a kind hello... :)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, May 26, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a particularly good mood today. And I'm starting my commute off with Homo Rainbow by Wean, yasss I love this song!

Yesterday my husband and I talked over rules for open marriage. He's getting more comfortable with the idea. And we're on the verge of sealing it. We're talking again in a couple more days. He's got some things he wants to explore too... I'm excited for both of us :slight_smile: I think it will be kind of hot to share our mutual exploration and talk about what we're learning about ourselves.

I feel successful as a mom today too. We've been struggling a little with our routine, and even though my little monkey slept way in today, mama got her out of the door only 15 min later than I would have liked. And we had fun (per usual) on our walk. Racing all the way there. I love my little sweetie!!!!

I'm wearing a flannel to work today (it's a casual office). I feel like I look particularly gay today. I love it.

Share the things that have made you happy lately! Or share whatever you want, I love you guys, I want to hear it all! :slight_smile:

#1 baristajedi, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG!!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!!! Let us know when the deal is sealed and you can check that off your list.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_bigg. Thanks OTH!! I'll be updating for sure!!!

I'm really hoping my husband truly gets something out of this too, I want to grow together. Being able to share with him my happy feelings about being queer and exploring with women will make me feel really good too. He's my best friend after all and this is a huge part of my life.

#3 baristajedi, May 26, 2016
  4. SnowshoeGeek

WOW!!!!!

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

That's just so amazingly wonderful to hear!!!

Well, I think my joy to share is simply that I have no longer got ANY people in my life who shame me, or are ever mean to me, or make me feel like there is anything wrong with me for the things I want.

And, I have a cluster of people I consider real friends, who share my sense of joy and exploration about life.

For me, this is an enormous accomplishment!

(&&&)

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes it is an enormous accomplishment Snowshoe!!! And one you fought long and hard for. You should be proud!!!

6. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's great. So happy for you! :slight_smile:

7. CameOutSwinging

This is really amazing, Barista. Very happy for you and for him! I hope he continues to be open to this. You said he has some exploring he wants to do as well? Is it of the same-sex variety, or other things? And how does that make you feel?

8. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks COS!

Yeah, so in the last 2-3 months my husband has started revealing some interesting things about feeling a little bi. It's not like me, I think it's more like Kinsey 2 or 2.5 (he actually used the Kinsey scale to describe it!)

There are a couple of men from his past that he developed a ronantic sort of bond with. This is not a bromance, it was to my eyes a true emotional romantic intimacy. I suspected with one of our mutual friends a couple of years ago. And I also met one of the guys from his past, and have heard him talk on Skype with another. when he was in love (his words) with the guy I knew, O, it was like a painful and sweet kind of thing. He *needed* to be with him, he was very emotionally charged by everything between them.

My feelings about it are... Well it makes me extremely happy. I feel like it can only make our situation more positive, no matter where our path leads us.

Ultimately, my decisions about what I need in the end are not dictated by this. My needs in terms of women are something I need to consider as my experiences unfold, so it doesn't change my decision process or my view of my own needs. I'm letting my exploration help me learn what my ultimate needs are.

But there are a million reasons for this being positive -

First, if I'm exploring and growing, I want him to be too. It seems unbalanced otherwise.

Second, I like thinking I have a confidante in my journey, and in some way he might understand me as a queer person and that feels really good.

Third, I kind of find it hot for some reason, and honestly I have no idea why, but there it is, that's just my feelings.

So, I'm just looking forward to this stage of the journey:slight_smile: I really can't wait to go on a date. And another. And another :slight_smile:

I want to be really open to being vulnerable and letting my feelings just happen. And I really can't wait for that.

#8 baristajedi, May 26, 2016
  9. kypso

That's fantastic!
    What kind of rules are you suggesting if you don't mind me asking?
    I would love this arrangement but I don't think we are there yet...

10. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome Barista! I haven't decided if I want an open marriage yet...guess it depends on who I'm with. That's a long way off anyway.

11. Morgana

Barista, if I may make a comment. Boundaries are great. We all need them. One thing that a lot of people forget though, is that occasionally, boundaries (and the rules that define them), need to evolve. The boundaries should be there for mutual comfort and safety, not to hem one or both of you in.

For example, one of our initial boundaries when we first discussed polyamory was that I couldn't date anyone local. She wasn't comfortable with that and so my relationships for a while were limited to long-distance ones. Over time, that boundary evolved to a similar but more relaxed one: I don't bring people home. Now that's not to say I can't have a date pick me up here, or even have them over as friends, but there is no sexual contact in our home with them. We either go to their place or get a motel room if neither of us has a place to go.

So be open to the evolution of boundaries as things grow and get more comfortable between you.

I'm very happy for you both, and hope that both of you learn and grow together,

Morgana

12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Barista

My wife thinks my guy thing is "hot" too. Last night she brought up one guy I told her about several times. After awhile I decided it was not for my "benefit" any longer...which made it even hotter for me!

This is supposed to be fun...life that is. I hope your husband can open himself up to some other experiences too.

13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks TinyOwl!! :kiss:

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 04:19 PM ----------

Well - so far, he wants to only stick to meeting people who are also in open relationships. This was my instinct too, so I'm cool with that. We're working on discussing safe sex and how to manage that. He is *very* nervous about that. We've been talking about frequency of seeing other people (with our schedules, and parenting commitments, 1/wk or 1/2wks is what we both think is manageable). We talked about honesty, and transparency as well.

I think there's more, but I'll have to try to remember. Now I'm realising we need to write these all down!

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 04:21 PM ----------

Another thing I should mention is that yesterday we were talking mostly about his rules, I think tomorrow I'm supposed to lay down some of my own rules... so I need to think a little about that.

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 04:24 PM ----------

Thanks!! Take your time and figure it out as you go along :slight_smile: That's half the fun, learning about yourself and your needs.

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 04:27 PM ----------

This is really helpful insight. I kind of had that in the back of my mind as we were discussing this yesterday. I think that is a good thing to keep in mind, to keep this as an open conversation.

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 04:30 PM ----------

Nick - I don't know what it is, there's something about bisexual men who I am involved with that really turns me on. It has started to extend to really enjoying watching those dynamics play out in movies, shows, etc. I'm really into it :icon_bigg

I agree - life is meant to be fun!! I feel like I'm in a particularly positive place right now to really enjoy life in a new way too. And it seems you are too! I'm happy for you!!

#13 baristajedi, May 26, 2016
  14. Butterfly2016

Wish this could happen for me too. *sigh*...its all hopeless for me I guess.

15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi butterfly (*hug*) I'm sorry your struggling. Are you trying to open up your marriage? I'm sorry I don't know your back story. Why does it feel hopeless right now? If you share maybe we can help you think things through.

16. Butterfly2016

Open marriage would never work with my husband. Either I'm his completely, or he'd rather be divorced. Thats just how he was raised. So I never talk about it. It all seems hopeless right now because no matter how hard I try I can't find work. I always get rejected. Work is the only way out of my situation...but it seems that will never happen. I'm lonely, suffering with worsening depression, and anxiety. Its almost too much...:help:

#16 Butterfly2016, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  17. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Am I understanding correctly that you're thinking of leaving your husband? Do you have any family who might help you get on your feet while you're looking for work, so that you can leave before you find a job? Can you take a low-paying job for a bit while you look for work? And is it completely off the table to talk to your husband about opening the marriage? I wonder if you bring it up in small doses that he might be willing to think it over?

Big hugs, hun. I'm so sorry you're struggling right now. (*hug*)

In the meantime, I wonder if building a strong lgbt support system could give you a feeling of being in touch with your identity and making good friends at the same time. That makes a world of difference sometimes.

#17 baristajedi, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016