1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The understanding spouse/partner

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CameOutSwinging, May 26, 2016.

1. CameOutSwinging

It's an interesting phenomenon reading about the people here who have significant others who receive what could often be soul-shattering news about your sexuality in a positive way. Partners who want to still be there for you and work with you through everything you are going through. It surely takes a toll on them, but the love and respect they have for you is so strong that they don't view this as enough to throw in the towel.

I'm not sure if it makes me jealous. I mean, I had a partner like that for 7 years, and it was pretty awesome getting to just be myself and not having to lie about my wants and needs. We didn't work out, but I'm at a point where I don't necessarily regret us not working out. I think it was all part of my journey.

And yet, I still find it frustrating that my partner right now can be so petty about everything. I know she doesn't owe me any sort of care or understanding, but it is hard not to let it hurt sometimes. Especially because even through all of the fighting, our friendship is still there and still strong. We actually do enjoy spending time together when we're just having fun.

I guess in an ideal world, I'd love to just be myself around her and let our friendship flourish. I'm not even sure if that means I'd want to stay in a relationship with her. The longer we go without having sex or being romantic, the more it makes me think about doing those things with guys instead. I don't think she gets that, or cares to get it...I don't know.

But like last night is a perfect example. She's getting ready to go on a girl's weekend with some co-workers to South Beach this weekend. She was telling me that apparently the clubs they want to go to all have $100 cover charges just to get in. I suggested they just go to a gay club, because surely they'll let the girls in there for much cheaper (plus, it's South Beach, I mean come on, the fun is going to be at the gay clubs). She said no, she doesn't want to go to gay clubs because she wants to get hit on while she's out. This honestly made me smile and laugh. I thought maybe it was a sign of her realizing that we are in fact separating and maybe even breaking up, and I totally support her goal of boosting her confidence in herself by having people flirt with her. She is beautiful, it will happen.

Anyway, a little after that, we got to talking about one of her co-workers who is going on this trip. I thought she was seeing somebody so I asked. Turns out they seem to have broken up because she thought the guy might be gay/bi and straight up asked him if he is bi. He was super offended and flipped out at her. I asked my wife if I could see his social media account, as she said he looked "very gay" to her on social media, though I warned that my gaydar is pretty bad. She responded with "Joe, your gaydar is so bad, you couldn't even tell YOU were gay." I laughed soooo much! I thought that was hilarious! She laughed as well. She also said in this conversation that after her experience with me, she doesn't believe bisexual is a real thing and that people are either straight, gay, or gay but lying to themselves about it. I said to her "so you think I'm gay and lying to myself?" She said yes.

So a little later, feeling like the lines of communication were kind of open, I mentioned to her that I'm considering going back to therapy. I had stopped back in March or so, mostly because I felt like if she saw me stop therapy she would get that I wasn't questioning being with her anymore. It didn't matter. Anyway, I am considering going back now. So I told her this. She asked why. I told her it's because I'm still questioning my sexuality. She became really upset about this (even though she was just basically calling me gay, jokingly and not jokingly, less than 20 minutes earlier) and asked me if I was questioning because I met somebody. I said no (technically true) and just that I need to figure this out. She was visibly upset the rest of the night. And that was that.

It's like she flirted with the idea of being understanding. That our friendship at it's best can handle jokes like my gaydar is so bad I didn't even know I was gay, and yet if I'm the one who wants to talk about being gay or the daily struggle I feel like I'm going through, it's off limits and I'm an awful person for it.

I know she's going through a lot, and I probably just have to accept that she can't/won't be there for me through this. But it's tough when somebody truly is your best friend and you just want them to laugh with you and maybe hold you and tell you it's all going to be okay. And they won't.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You guys need time to figure out how your relationship will settle and what form it will take. It is still early days. The best case, you figure out how to remain friends; alternatively you can each reach a point of indifference, which would not be that bad either.

Give it some time, go with the flow, don't push her too hard, see how things get on and keep an open mind.

3. HereWeGo

It sounds like things are still really raw for your partner. Sometimes people make jokes to cover up the pain. I've experienced that in my situation. My wife will make a joke in the moment but I know from conversations that follow that there is a lot of turmoil, uncertainty, sadness, worry, self-esteem issues, etc. You mention in your own post that you know she's going through a lot, so you get it. When I first came out I felt like it was all about me announcing I'm gay and not really listening to my wife's side of the story and be a support for her as much as she is supporting me. Perhaps you're already checking in on how your partner is doing, but maybe that's something to be mindful of?

I'm glad to hear you're going back to therapy. Shit, I spent two years working through my sexual identity in therapy and still haven't stopped. I'm sorry your partner has a problem with that and I don't really understand why she would. Maybe she doesn't understand that it's more complicated than just figuring out that you're gay. Regardless, you need to go back for your own sake.

Maybe you addressed this in another thread but does she know about your friends with benefits situation? I'm just thinking if you want her to be on your side and supportive, she has to trust you and know you're being completely honest with her...

4. CameOutSwinging

I try to be supportive of her, but it's pretty hard when she won't really talk to me without just being angry. I think her opinion of supportive would be me letting her go to heal on her own. Maybe she's right.

No, she doesn't know about my FWBs. At least, she doesn't know from my admission. She's not dumb, and I do think she suspects. She's obviously not at all happy that I'm moving in with them. If I confirmed this for her, it would be the last we spoke and it would hurt her so much. I know, that's all good reasons to probably have not gotten into this situation. But here we are. And I'm not willing to give them up given our current relationship status.

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 10:51 AM ----------

You're definitely right. My fear is she'll never speak to me again. But maybe I just need to take that fear by the horns and let whatever will happen finally happen.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My ex talks to be now only on an as-needed basis, and I have accepted that. It's probably best that we reached that point. She we do speak, it's very cordial and mature. Funny thing is, I still stay in regular touch with her other relatives whom am was close to.

As far as your fwb situation, may I just give you a word of caution. Recognize that you are moving in with them not only for the "benefit" part, but I am sure to give yourself some needed attention and comfort given you had not been alone for quite some time and may not be used to being alone. Please recognize, at some point, you may want and actually need some alone time; it is a natural part of the journey your on. View the fwb arrangement as a temporary "rest stop" on your journey. When your mind and body tell you it's time to move on, be prepared to do.

You may not get what I am talking about now, but remember this thread and reference it when the time comes.

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    COS,

You talk about being sad and worried that you won't remain friends if/when you break up. I think at the heart of this, based on all of your posts, you feel a giant srnse of responsibility to your wife and feel like letting her go makes you a bad guy.

(Before I go any further I should say- I don't want to push you one way or another, but I get the sense you are leaning mostly towards breaking up. So my thoughts will be focused on that side of it.)

When it comes down to it, all relationships are growing experiences. Your wife has gained s lot from what you've had together. And she will heal and move on to find good things in her future. Please forgive yourself for the decision you may be soon making, before you make it, because I think in order to make any kind of break at all, you have to first understand that it's ok for you to do this. Short term pain for your wife will pass, and she will move on to a happy life. I promise you that this is true. You know it's true, you just haven't let yourself see it yet.

Take a deep breath; you are not responsible for her happiness. She owns her life.

#6 baristajedi, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    COS...I am going to be pretty harsh here.

Have you really figured out what you want in life? Because, it is really hard to have it all. You seem to want the security of a relationship with a woman. Yet, you don't really seem to want to do a lot of work to maintain that relationship.

I don't know if you are referring to my relationship with my wife and how coming out has turned out for me...But, there is a lot more that has gone on in my marriage over 30 years that allows my wife the confidence in me to trust me and support me right now. When my sex life with my wife fell apart it was many years before I even considered finding something to fill that void. My love for her would just not allow me to even think it (and I have a pretty high sex drive). My wife knows this. So, she understands that if I reached the point where I needed the intimacy and started looking for it elsewhere, that it was also a failure on her part.

Of course, had I been honest with her all along, it would never have reached the point that it did. But, had I really shared my sexual orientation with her when first started dating, and how important is was, I am not completely sure that the level of trust we have would have developed. Even my wife, who is pretty accepting about sexual orientation, may have had some doubts on my ability to remain faithful as a bisexual.

Having a couple of FWB's on the side and random hook ups once in a while would probably have violated that trust (really?). And, there is no way my wife would have not figured that out if that was what I was up to...especially if she had nagging suspicions as a result of my bisexuality. Sorry to put it so bluntly.

Sexual desires and acting on those desires are two different things. My wife has no problem with what I am. It is what I do that is important to her. So, at this point, how we proceed, will be based on a mutual understanding of what both of our needs are. Not based on what I decide I need and the expectation that she should understand.

8. CameOutSwinging

I actually totally get it. I've had a few conversations with [for simplicity sake I'll call them] the boys and we're all on the same page about what we are doing and when it will likely end. I mean, honestly, part of me might look for/hope for a partner who isn't strictly monogamous as I think there's slight potential that I may be poly as much as anything else. Or at least that's something I may want to experiment with. But I realize one way or another, this arrangement has a shelf life. :slight_smile:

And as for alone time, there's a lot of likelihood that I won't spend that much time with them. They'll both be working and going to school. I'll be working as well. And feeling like a third wheel around them isn't my goal either. I do understand that forcing myself to be alone sometimes is key, and I plan on trying that. But you're definitely right that it's not something I strive for very often at all.

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 01:04 PM ----------

Thank you, Barista. You're definitely right that I feel responsible for her happiness. There are times when she even says as much. Telling me she's basically never going to have a family because we aren't working out. That's really hard to hear. It's enough to feel like I've made a mess of my own life, but to feel responsible for somebody else as well, oye. And feel like I can fix her life by just forcing myself to be normal (I forced myself to just run with the word that I wanted to say without editing myself, so forgive me for the use of normal, but you get what I mean).

There's no way around feeling like this makes me a bad guy. I just need to own it. Be the bad guy.

#8 CameOutSwinging, May 26, 2016
  9. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Regarding your jealously of the understanding partner, it seems to me that you are jealous because you want to hedge your bets regarding your sexuality and your current partner isn't playing ball. Or at least this is the sense that I get by reading between the lines. So we're back to where you've been stuck since joining EC. What is your sexual orientation and what will it take to get you to stand up and say you're gay or bisexual and proud :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

On the other hand, if you've come out as gay and said things are definitively over, then not every spouse is supportive. Mine was not. This is human nature. I agree with OTH that you need to let the chips fall where they may.

Hopefully the step of moving out with help bring clarity on these questions.

Best,
    SF

#9 SiennaFire, May 26, 2016
  10. CameOutSwinging

Hey Nick,

I wasn't specifically thinking about your situation. I'm very happy for you, honestly. To be honest, reading Barista's post about her husband being understanding about an open relationship and such really made me think down this line. But there are actually tons of people here who have spouses and significant others who are sticking by them through this. Just like there are plenty of people who have lived through what I'm going through, with the spouse who just wants to make you the bad guy and tell you that you've ruined their life. I'm not exactly jealous, maybe envious? Maybe just wishing that things could have worked out for me that way. But truth is, my partner was never the person who was going to handle this without issue. And that's okay. She's allowed to be with a totally straight, totally monogamous guy if that's what she desires. The selfish part of me is still in conflict about taking the action to let her have this, that's all.

I also get that a lot of people on here have had longer relationships with lots of history, versus my 3 year relationship that isn't surviving its first major bump in the road. Can't compare situations entirely. But I can't help but wish. Maybe it's all part of mourning what could have been.

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 01:18 PM ----------

I really do feel like I'm stuck back at the beginning. I'm worse than a stock. Up and down, up and down. Or, gay and bi, gay and bi.

I do feel like moving out will help me to really think about this. That's also why I want to go back to therapy now.

And part of me still thinks I won't really figure it out until I just end this relationship and try dating guys. The "see if you miss girls" experiment as somebody said in my other thread from yesterday. Honestly, it might even be easier to end things once I've moved out in roughly a week. God, that makes me sound like such a chicken. Get out and then end it so you don't have to deal with the fallout directly. But I guess that's what people do, right? My ex dumped me and had hotel reservations set for the night for after she did it. Bah, I should just take her advice and be the bad guy.

11. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd definitely try dating guys.

All I can say is that once I kissed a (married) guy I had some feelings for and felt sparks like I never felt with women, I knew that my attraction for guys was stronger. Once I started dating gay men who were emotionally available and we clicked, holy shit, I truly found what I'd been missing.

Your mileage may vary (!)

#11 SiennaFire, May 26, 2016
  12. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    COS

I suppose I got a little preachy. But, really my point is that the sort of relationship that allows the sort of understanding and acceptance that you are lamenting may not really possible with your partner at this stage...only a short time together. Maybe what you miss is that it never had that chance to begin with and that is not the fault of you or your partner. I, honestly, don't know how one could know if that sort of trust and understanding can result going into a relationship. It takes time.

Regardless of what blame is being tossed about, you are still not responsible for your partner's happiness. The failed relationship may have been due to your sexual orientation. I don't know. But, from what you have written in the past, she did not really hold up her end of the bargain either.

I will toss this out. I would have been divorced at your age if my wife and I would have had as little sex as you report. I would have been on CL (or the pony express equivalent) looking for hookups too!

13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never did answer your original thread question - I think there are some rare instances in which a spouse might be understanding about their lgbt spouse's need to be with other partners.

1 - There are the rare folks who are just really really open as a general rule. It does not sound like your wife fits that description; which is ok, she's entitled to her feelings.

2 - Another case would be something like what Nick described - perhaps the spouse isn't naturally inclined to be open, but their love for their partner really pushes them outside of their comfort zone, and they're willing to give it a go. It sounds like your relationship with your wife has never gotten to that level, and to give a fair and balanced criticism, I think that neither you or your wife have given what's necessary to cross that threshold, but I also think you guys are early in your relationship, and that is probably the reason for that.

3 - And finally, there are circumstances that make divorce incredibly messy, like having a kid(s) together. In that case, the spouse might think it's worth taking creative measures to give it a go and see if it can be fulfilling.

In my case, I think my husband fits into both 2 and 3. More accurately, I think his feelings waver back and forth between those two.

I think that it's totally fair for you, COS, to be tempted to stray from your relationship, and to consider breaking it off, just as it's totally fair that your wife wants something very specific in her spouse, and she is not willing to bend much in that area. You are both just being honest about how you feel and trying to find what you need in your personal paths.

In the end, only you own your happiness and only she owns hers.

And you said earlier, you just have to own being the bad guy. Yeah, that's true. Sometimes we're each going to be the bad guy (or female version of that), and it's just life. You can't live your life without being the bad guy sometimes, and honestly sometimes being the bad guy is ultimately the right thing.

#13 baristajedi, May 26, 2016
  14. CameOutSwinging

This seems to be the direction I'm heading in, but slowly. Once I move, this weekend more or less, I'm going to start really thinking about what I want to do moving forward. Being out of the house already may make it easier (hard stil but easier) to tell my wife the truth.

Part of me is thinking about just being honest with her about certain things. That I need to be open about my sexuality since its part of who I am. That I feel like I need sexual relationships with men. Basically tell her I need these things or we won't work out. I already know the answer (there's not going to be a surprise here) but at least she can't say I wasn't honest about my needs.

If she said sure to those things, would I consider staying with her? Possibly. Our relationship is pretty damaged so it might all be pointless anyway, but I digress.

---------- Post added 27th May 2016 at 02:56 AM ----------

I do think my sexuality has a lot to do with the failure of the relationship. Like, sex is where everything roots back to. I was supposedly wonderful, doing all the chores around the house, giving her everything she wanted, etc. but our sex lives died down quickly after she told me almost two years ago that she felt too pressured into sex. I felt awful when she told me that and backed off on my requests. Told her she should say no when she wants to (and that's absolutely true). It turned into me always being the one to initiate and her shooting me down almost every single time. It wasn't until we were dealing with my sexuality again that she finally admitted to me that she's had a problem having sex with me because of my sexuality more than anything else. She admitted this because I kept asking her to maybe talk to a therapist or Doctor, because I figured something had to be wrong that had nothing to do with me for her lack of sex drive (turns out she doesn't lack a sex drive, just lacks wanting to do it with me).

And even now it feels like she's not addressing that at all. I don't get that from her. How she essentially wants to stay together but doesn't want to work on the most major thing that was bothering me. The bad thing is, I'm at a point where I don't even desire sex with her anymore. It's been so rare for so long that I'm just not there anymore.

This really isn't the problem I expected to deal with at 32. You're right about that. I don't think any of it excuses my actions in terms of going outside of the relationship for sexual satisfaction, but yeah.

---------- Post added 27th May 2016 at 03:05 AM ----------

Im going to take my wife's side on this one and totally run myself down here.

My wife has been very honest about what she wants in a partner.

I have not.

Why? Partly because I think I'm still figuring that out. Even the idea of dating guys, I fee like I have to figure out if I want to be in an open relationship, if I want to try being poly, etc. But even the things that I do know I've not been entirely honest with her about. I should have told her that my feelings towards guys weren't going away like I thought they would. I should have told her when I started being tempted to find guys to do anything with years ago. I've spent a lot of time just trying to fit the things that she's said she wants. So she won't leave me and will love me. Heck even a few months ago when I decided I wanted to make it work, making it work meant going back on a lot of what I said. I told her I didn't want to be openly bi/gay anymore. I told her I quit therapy because I didn't want to question anymore. That I would just focus on her and giving her what she wanted. And that's my big mistake ever time. I literally tried pushing myself back in the closet.

She doesn't get why telling me none of my attempts to fix things the last few months didn't matter hurts so much. Probably because she doesn't get how much I was trying to just deny myself of who I was to make it work.

The funny part is I think somewhere under her anger, she wants me to be myself and be happy. She just wants me to go do it and leave her to figure out her own life.

Step one, I'm moving out. Just have to keep reminding myself that. Step one. Get it done.

15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    QUOTE=CameOutSwinging;3062109
    Step one, I'm moving out. Just have to keep reminding myself that. Step one. Get it done.[/QUOTE]

Stay strong on step one :slight_smile:

16. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that the time away will go a long way to clarify your thought process. I would not spend too much mental energy trying to anticipate how you'll feel once you move out. You're taking an important step by moving out. Take that step and see how you feel after a few weeks. You'll be in a much better place to appraise your situation in a month.

One of the counterintuitive aspects of the coming out process is that I became a stronger person as I came out. Small victories build and create momentum that can be used to tackle the next bigger challenge on the journey. I'm a much stronger person today than I was a year ago. So it's quite possible it will become easier for you to tell your wife what you need to tell her once you have the accomplishment of moving out behind you. If you are a Star Wars geek, have a look at baristajedi's sig because it captures the process pretty well.

#16 SiennaFire, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  17. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you have come a far way as it is, and if you wanted to, you could tell her whatever you wanted to tell her whenever you wanted to.

18. CameOutSwinging

Thank you! The positive attitude is always appreciated! (*hug*)

---------- Post added 27th May 2016 at 06:16 AM ----------

This is the way I've been trying to look at it. Give myself some space from the situation and start to figure everything out. But my wife looks at it a bit differently. She thinks me moving (and especially moving in with who I'm moving in with) means it's already done and I've chosen to end us. We fought quite a bit last night about this. Interestingly, her mother is on my side so to speak. She thinks it's great that I'm getting my own place and even thinks it's fine that I'm doing it with the roommates I'm doing it with. She ultimately wants us to stop fighting since she sees the damage it is doing to her daughter and to us in general, so she sees this as a good start to whatever is going to happen. And she still considers me family. Sometimes I think this frustrates my wife more than it makes her feel understanding. Ah well.

I think I have a lot of things I have to come to terms with and figure out what I want. And yes, if I want my cake and to eat it too, I think that's okay...I just have to be honest about that want and accepting if the cake has no interest in being eaten. Or something like that. The metaphor started out better in my head.

And I'm not the biggest Star Wars geek, but I am a gigantic film geek so it's not like I haven't seen all of the movies and can't appreciate the advice! :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 27th May 2016 at 06:22 AM ----------

Thank you! Your faith in me is always really empowering in a way and I appreciate it so much, OTH. I think there's been a few hard parts for me, and I'm crossing them off the list. Starting with depending on her for a place to live. That's about to be done. Next is dealing with the fact that if I tell her these things, in all likelihood, she will want to not talk to me or see me anymore. Also sucks that I'm taking a real gamble on possibly never getting to see our dogs again, or at least for a long time, because she becomes very vengeful and will keep me away from them. That really sucks, but it's something I may have to face.

I'm hoping with the space, and with us not fighting, we'll reach a point where there's less anger and we can talk calmly so that even if she doesn't like what I have to say, even if she wants no contact for awhile, it's out of a place of healing and not of hatred.

#18 CameOutSwinging, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  19. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's called the point of indifference; you will get there.

20. CameOutSwinging

You're absolutely right, OTH! I reached that indifference with my ex girlfriend and I never thought I would. It will happen here too. Just takes time.

My theme song for the next month is this song most of you might not know by the pop punk band Four Year Strong called "One Step At A Time." Rocking out to it on loop every time I need a reminder that I'm doing the right thing!

Ohhhhh, I should get a record player for my new apartment! My wife wouldn't let me get one in our apartment. So doing this!