1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My gay Saturday: Goodwill Dapper, Indigo Girls, and Tarot Cards

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Katchoo, May 28, 2016.

1. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, yup. Doing the gay things.

I mentioned my recent tarot card aquisition in another thread. I looooove them. I've never had a tarot card deck before. I mostly wanted them because when Iwas in the middle of ccoming out, my friends had a tarot reading party, and my reading basically said, talk to people, talk to your friends, talk to people, you can't do this by yourself, talk to them. So, yay, cards.

I've basically been sitting here pondering how to have appropriate boundaries with Mom that will help us both.

At first Iwas asking basicaly how Ineed to be with mom, what I need to do in order to make our relationship work even with all the transition. The cards said that in the past I have gathered wisdom and learned to apply it, and currently I am in a place of tension and discomfort that hopefuly I can resolve into feeling balanced. The "unconcious influences" card was the generosity card, which felt like such a compliment, but, yeah, I really do want to help my mom, even though sometimes I also resent helping my mom. The next steps card was about boredom. I'm not sure what the right way to interpret this is. I take it mostly as, I don't have to force things, that my role right now may require a lot of innaction, together with that open generosity. Probable outcome, endurance. We're going to get through. So, I have wisdom that I know what to do with, I have kindness and generosity at my disposal, I can remain calm and open and not feel like I have to do everything, and we're going to endure and be ok. The drawing on the endurance card kind of looks like little kid me, which is kind of how I picture my inner soul-heart-self, or however you think about that. Things will be ok, or at least I will get through ok.

I tried a spread about boundaries and accountability, asking in reference to my mom. The cards were all like, this is a super struggle. You'll be challenged in setting boundaries with your mom by near constant constant failure and frustration. You need to find peace and stability in yourself and work from there, and it will also require a great deal of skill. Um, yup. Thanks, cards.

So, I just did a spread about how to acheive the goal of having this peace and stability and guidance on my own. The cards are all like, you have going for you that you are generous and kind (repeated card from first spread), that you are making these things happen and getting them to come into reality, and that you have experienced healing yourself and are looking to give it to others. I need to watch out for unfairly judging people. (Mom, myself, etc. All the unfair judgements). Also, cards tell me that to meet my goal I need to get my finances under control (I've basiaclly not worked at all this week, and very little in the previou month, which is going to be killer on my stability and peace). The card that is positioned to tell me something that I need to know about my goal that Ineed to know asks me, Where do you need to be more courteous or understanding? Sigh. To myself and to my family, both. I can't be centered and at peace and directed if I'm criticizing myself and my mom. Be kind to myself and to her.

2. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've never had my Tarot cards read and, honestly, the scientist/analytical lawyer in me says it's complete hogwash, but there's another part of me that says "huh. just huh. Well... What if? Weirder shit has happened, right?"

So, give it to me straight (pun very much intended), do you put real stock into them or is it just something you do to access a part of your own brain that may not be willing to consciously process some of what you need to process? Or is it something else entirely?

Inquiring minds want to know...

3. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a set of Tarot cards myself, purely because I think they're interesting. The logical side of me knows that it's probably crap, but the creative side of me likes to remind me that some very weird things have happened to me in my short life time, much weirder than Tarot cards. I've never had mine read and I don't know how to read other people's, but I think it's fascinating.

Despite my earlier comment, I don't necessarily see Tarot (or any psychic stuff, really) as mutually exclusive to logic, because you can argue that there IS some logic in the supernatural world. I know this is a little off topic, but take aliens, for example. They're often dismissed as fantasy creatures, but out of the whole, entire universe, the concept that Earth is the only planet with life on it isn't really logical.

In short: if you like Tarot cards then go for Tarot cards. They're pretty and very fun.

4. MayButterfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I just had my cards read by a medium that I trust, eight months ago she told me many things of my past and future that have now happened. The first card said I was very heartbroken and I was! Overall it was a very positive reading and gave me hope that things will be ok eventually. As she read she mentioned things going on right now that she couldn't have known. I say keep reading your cards, if you believe in them and they comfort you or give you hope, what's the harm? :slight_smile: I can't wait to read mine again in a few months! I love things like that!

5. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that part of what is going on with them is that they are helping me pull insights out of my brain. Tactile, visual, symbolic, self reflective, narrative combination of elements that help me have a different perspective inside my head and see whats going on in there, not too unlike how I do play therapy with little kids. I dont know if there is a spiritual element happening, because im not sure what spiritual things are real, ever. But, maybe. I really want there to be some sort of spiritual dimention to the universe. Idk, though. Anyway, seems helpful for now, and I like it.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just for you, Emma (and for the others too, of course):

You have to understand what tarot cards are and what they aren't in order to appreciate them. They are not some mystical, supernatural thing...they are cards with pictures representing archetypes of human experience.

The idea is to ask a question (generally referencing a problem of some kind)...then lay out a spread of random cards (I most frequently use 3, but there are lots of ways to do it), and (this is the important part) *assume* that they are presenting you with a useful perspective on your problem/question. Given the archetypal nature of the images, you could certainly pick 3 cards that would speak *directly* to your problem in a way you'd anticipate...but since the cards were random, chances are you'll get 3 cards that at first glance don't have anything to *do* with your problem...your task is to *make* them have to do with your problem. This forces you to *change* your perspective on the question/problem, and how to address it.

*That* is what makes the reading useful.

When you get good at it, you'll find that many/most readings become *eerily* useful, and seem to speak *directly* to the problem, offering unexpected wisdom. This is an illusion...but it's a highly *useful* illusion. Does that make sense?

7. yeehaw

I love your explanation, biannika, and I totally want Tarot cards now...

8. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BiAnnika, yes! That's totally what the experience is like for me so far. Like, it helps me to take a different perspective and consider the problem from new angles. I don't know that another person could read my cards in a way that's as useful as when I consider them, because I'm the person with the most information about my life and situation. It feels like a really beutifully illustrated, deeply meaningful way to sift and reconsider my problems.

9. PrettyinPunk

That sounds really cool. I've thought tarot cards and readings were interesting. A family friend who was a magician actually gave me a set of tarot cards and a book for my birthday. Your post makes me want to go find them and figure out how to read/use them.

Also I'm glad they're giving you helpful insight!

10. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BiAnnika, that is the best explanation of Tarot reading I've ever seen, thanks for that!

It reminds me of my favorite Cher song, "Dark Lady"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUH7Wk8-WI

You are doing great, Katchoo! I think your Mom will come around, too.