1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going back in the closet...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, Jun 2, 2016.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...not that I ever really came out of the closet. Why would I? After nearly 45 1/2 years, I've got it nicely decorated with tasteful decor. :lol:

More seriously...recently I have felt like I am going backwards--deeper into the closet...

Or so I felt the last few weeks as I worked on a story that I submitted to a writing contest. This story is not new--indeed, it dates back more than 10 years in one form or another. The last time it got updated and submitted for consideration was two years ago. At that time, it represented a brave step towards coming out: there was a definite LGBT sub-theme added. Three characters were LGBT, including the narrator. While the chances of the story actually seeing print weren't that great, there was a chance of it being accepted. If that happened, it would be out there, forever, with my name on it... So it was, perhaps, a bit of a brave act submitting that story.

This year, I revised the story again. And everything LGBT ends up on the cutting room floor. Two characters stay more or less the same, but turn straight. The third goes through a sex change...and also turns straight. (2 of the gay characters had been dating, and the dating relationship had to continue.)

A part of me thinks that no longer having LGBT characters serves the core story better. But another part of me is ashamed, too. That other part is what is thinking that I'm backing further into the closet...

Indeed, I had several mental debates:

Maybe I could keep the narrator gay.

Then, again, what purpose would it really serve? It really would add nothing to the story.

Is that true? Or is that my position because I'm afraid of outing myself if the story makes it into print?

No matter...the story was mailed. It's completely out of my hands now. If it wins, it will run the way it is, good points and bad points. If it doesn't win, well, given history it will likely get revised at some point. And who knows what I'd do a that time...

2. A Seraphim Moon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a writer as well. I'm only saying that, because everyone is different. With how they perceive themselves as writers and the way they write. I prefer freestyle poetry. I hate having to follow a strict structure. Like, for instance haiku's. Every time I wrote one it seemed to be jumbled or confusing. But, if I switched around the lines around, instead of line A having the correlation with line C and so forth down. If I had them follow right after each other, then it read much more direct and less confusing.

For instance with your narrator. The narrator can be gay in your mind and only you would know. You could write it where the narrator never mentions it. It's never stated once. If the narration is in first person if never have it stated "I am gay." then the reader will never know. Or say third person "He is gay." it could almost be the same thing. All up to perception/interpretation.

Like the 2 characters you say are a couple. Don't mention they are gay... It never has to be stated. Writing it in a way that even in your mind you don't make a connection to the word gay might help keep it from turning into something you as the write have trouble accepting. Or keeping it from being all about the fact they are gay. Say for instance concerning their love... 'It was bound to happen eventually. They were straight. Laura and James fell in love.' 'It was bound to happen eventually. Lincoln and James fell in love.'

See what I mean? I am not sure how you write or rather how you wrote your characters relationship... But, you wouldn't {well, doesn't mean it hasn't happened} write that your characters are straight and make it known in such a way. So, why couldn't characters that are gay be written in a way that their being gay was just an after thought? Generally that is how I write. I never mention it... Never mention that it is different or that they or friends have an issue. It's common place same as male/female relations. I find it flows better that way.

Instead of dealing with falling in love one of the same gender and that causing stress with their emotions... It's something else that is causing them stress in the falling in love aspect. Whatever comes to mind... It could be the friendship could be hanging by a thread due to a disagreement or they don't feel good enough for them. The words I don't like using anything related to their sexuality. It's usually an after thought that the couples are straight, so why can't it be an after thought with my characters? Same with the narrator... There are times you don't know who they are... Whether they are male/female, alive/dead, one the characters, etc.

So, when the time comes that you want to revise your story again... Keep it as an after thought. See if that helps! :slight_smile: Good luck as well! I hope you can get it published. It would be a great feeling to get something published, been trying myself! :icon_wink So, again! ~Good Luck!~ :thumbsup:

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks!

A lot of what you said has also crossed my mind. Particularly with not directly stating sexual orientation. Indeed, in the last version of my story, there was some direct statement about the narrator, but it was in context to explain why his (straight marriage) divorce. As for the gay couple, nothing was ever directly said IIRC about one of the women--she was just mentioned as a new girlfriend. So...she might be gay, or she might be bisexual.

At this point, I am not even thinking about revising again... It is submitted, and and it is Done With until at least the point I know for certain the fate of this subsmission. If it doesn't win, and I decide at some point to give it another try, we'll see what I feel like doing... Indeed, it's amazing how many twists and turns and changes have occurred through the course of the series of "rebirths."

Good luck to you, A Seraphim Moon, as you try to get published!

#3 BMC77, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016