1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out over the pulpit again!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OGS, Jun 3, 2016.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So last Fall I managed to unthinkingly out myself over the pulpit to several hundred Mormons at my Father's funeral in Utah. I didn't really think about it. I was telling a story about how awesome my Dad was and in order to get the story you had to know that I was gay so I said "I'm gay. In fact I'm here with my partner of seventeen years..." I went on to tell the story and didn't really think much of it until people started to come up to me after the service complimenting me on the eulogy and talking about how courageous I was. People were wonderful about it--everyone who hadn't already met him wanted to meet my partner and people just couldn't have been sweeter or more supportive.

Well, anyway, it sort of happened again this last weekend. Last week my Mother-in-Law passed away. We attended the funeral in Oklahoma. This time I didn't do it myself, the pastor did. And it wasn't Mormons it was Baptists. The pastor introduced us as my Mother-in-Law's son D and his husband Stephen. This time everyone climbed out of the woodwork to meet me. Again people couldn't have been sweeter or kinder.

Hmm... Mormons and Baptists, Utah and Oklahoma. Things are definitely looking up.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those are both touching stories and inspiring responses from the people st the funerals.

I'm so sorry for your loss. (Both)

I admire how open you were!