1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The bisexual dilemma

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tomás1, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love this forum & I appreciate all who've posted, especially those who've responded to my posts, critical as well as complimentary. Some posts have been about formerly bisexual men who are now gay... often with a subtle hint that being bi is just a half way stop to being gay. That's a very common reaction, by gay & straight people, although not true in all cases. I had intimate relationships with women and men in my 20s & 30s, got married at 35, & divorced at 40. At the divorce, I thought maybe I was gay, so I moved from Silicone Valley to San Francisco in the 90s... because I always got a thrill walking down Castro Street! I lived there for 5 years, had a lover, went to Blow Buddies enough times where I began saying to myself "I need to leave this place". As well, I missed being intimate with women... missing the intimacy of the heart as well as sex. I realized I was much more comfortable in a mixed gender community or party... that one that was exclusively male.

There was always so much more romance with a woman: wooing her, taking her out, holding hands, kissing... & then after sex, she'd spend the night, maybe make love in the morning, eat breakfast together... & the woman having decided to have sex meant that she liked me, wanted to be with me, see me again... have a relationship. Plus with a woman, there's the yin/yang dichotomy, and complementariness... a dance so to speak... as opposed to the yang/yang of two men together, more boring, without the fire of a heterosexual relationship.

With men, it has been sooooo different. Like yesterday, I had a hookup, a really handsome younger guy, I met on a hookup site, came over, we were all over each other within about 5 minutes of his getting here. No kissing though, I could intuitively sense that cheek to cheek was about as close to a kiss as we'd get. I texted him today... no response... altho I did notice he's back online on the hookup site.

Perhaps hookup sites are not the best place to meet a guy, but where else do you find so many guys looking to connect? My challenge has always to see a guy a second time. Of the 25 hookups I've had over the last few years, only once or twice has there been a second time... and I don't think ever a third.

I'm a top, looking for an oral bottom... the dom iso a sub. Sometimes I think, "How could I, a together strong male, ever relate to a guy who comes over to service me, other than sexually?" Perhaps they're not interested in a second time, because they've done their whole intimacy trip the first time... without leaving anything for a second meeting. This is so much different that women - excluding the one night stand - with a woman, it's usually a few dates, of getting to know each other, before you are sexually intimate.

The only remaining ? is "why do I still hookup?" I think it's alot about sex addiction, the quick and easiness of finding sex on hookup sites. It's almost always accompanied by a drink or two. Finding a woman is not as simple as going to a hookup site. Of course there are all kinds of women. The truth is some women are more desirable than others, and it'g generally more of a challenge to date them, because there's more competition from other men... competing on genes, physical appearance, prosperity, etc.

My bisexual dilemma is paying attention to my upper head rather than my lower head.

2. HereWeGo

I can't speak to a lot of what you're talking about because I lack the experience of being with a guy, but I'm wondering about the places where you're hooking up with these guys.

If you're hooking up with guys online, can you state in your profile what your intention is? That you're looking for more than a one night stand? What about looking for guys through organized groups where you have a similar interest whether it's hiking, cooking, etc.?

3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Beingdude wrote

#3 Nickw, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  4. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been sensing that hookup sites are not the best place to meet a quality guy … that a hookup ap is only a place to meet a guy for sex. My profile states I'm looking for a fwb, but that noes the count for much. In my exp, when a guy is out there looking for sex, it's stats & a face pic that count the most. I have had guys tell me that trying to establish friendship first, or being vulnerable, takes the charge off of sex, which is true.

Nickw - what's your experience in this area of meeting guys?

5. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Beingdude

I haven't been with a guy since I was a kid. I fell in love with my wife at a pretty young age and had never considered practicing my gay side until a couple years ago.

That said, I have met a couple of guys, recently, where there was a very strong mutual attraction that would have gone a lot further if I was not committed. I am a bad cheater. I fell apart even considering it.

My athletic activities allow me access to men. So, it is pretty easy to meet a lot of guys. Since I don't plan on having sex with them, I am not afraid to engage them emotionally...ie I am very friendly. I think this starts a completely different process.

I think it is also worth mentioning that I do this with women too. Similar results.

The thing is...people want to be desired. Men and women. I just try to show this when I meet someone...not in a pervy way. At a minimum, you make someone feel good about themselves for a bit. Sorta fun on its own merits!

#5 Nickw, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems to me that a lot of it really comes down to the medium. It sounds to me like you don't meet women on hookup sites. You could. I have straight male friends who do. It seems that their results are pretty similar to yours except it's not a problem for them because that's what they are looking for. I never used the apps but back in the day I definitely hooked up. But it was guys I met at bars, in classes, at parties, at the gym, at the beach-i.e. the way I used to meet women. They were hardly ever one-off things. Maybe the sex was but usually not the friendship. Many of them I am still friends with twenty years later. Actually, I ended up marrying one of them.

I guess I would say if you are having different experiences with men and women don't assume it's necessarily about the difference between men and women. It may be about the different ways you approach them, the different expectations you bring to the encounter. Try approaching men more the way you approach women and see if you get a more desirable result. I hope everything works out for you.

7. faustian1

So many things about your post describe my personal frustrations, and they have not been of a short term nature. The trajectory of your life even has more than just a few similarities. If you read some of my own posts, you most likely will discern some of my own frustration on this. However, you have described the nature of the problem much better in some ways than I have.

I have come to the conclusion that the portion of what you describe (that I have clipped and quoted above), is not really correlated to being gay. It is correlated to being male. I think you and I have misunderstood the predominate, hard-line, social rules that males go by, in relation to being "friends" with other males. And, also, I must as usual disclaim that I do not mean facebook "friends," one of the words Zuckerberg has bastardized to an awful degree.

Oh, sure, dating sites have lots of guys who claim to want intimacy and "long-term relationships" with other men, but after a life of training with the system you so perfectly described above, do they even know how?

At the very least I have to thank you for affirming that I, and those in this emotionally-available minority aren't nuts. When the situation that you described in the first paragraph above--physical intimacy followed by you-don't-exist--happens, I feel like a complete failure and a reject. I'm sure you do too.

I've met quite a few people who have the attitude that they can play for 35 years, and then "settle down." About 90% of them crash and burn in a not-too-pretty way. You learn to be a good friend, by long training and practice. It's like flying an airplane. If you are put in the pilot's seat for the first time when it's in the air, there won't be a happy ending.

#7 faustian1, Jun 5, 2016
  8. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Faustian thx for your response. The cute hunky guy I hooked up with a few days ago has started answering my msgs on the hookup site... so it's possible we will meet again. In the typical style of this persuasion, he'll banter about sex & what we'll do to each other, but he's been noncommittal so far about meeting again.

As to "guys wanting intimacy"... it is a rare breed. It's more of a woman's thing, right? Like the old adage of the wife trying to pull some feelings & emotions out of her husband, while all he wants to do is drink beer & watch the game... & occasionally get angry. Altho younger men seem more emotionally available... the culture has changed, there's more awareness of the heart.

I've learned it's best to go easy with someone who's less emotionally present - not be superior, not a know it all... to cultivate a safe open zone, where the emotions of the other are welcome.

Driving around this afternoon, going to the beach, obsessing about meeting my hookup bud again, made me aware of how sexually focused I am... & have always been. I've been to Sex Addicts Anonymous, read their literature, read many books, seen therapists, etc. I first had sex at age 10... as I understand it, sex at a young age can make you sexually focused. There is obviously some guilt and shame about it... tho there's nothing I can do about what happened at age 10. I also had a buddy in college who gave me awesome blow jobs every few weeks for a few years. I can only think that it left an impression on me, to find a guy like that again. I notice when I'm obsessing about a guy, I'm not putting energy towards meeting a woman... who have more relationship potential for me. This is the bisexual dilemma....

#8 Tomás1, Jun 5, 2016
  9. faustian1

We seem to have walked a lot of the same paths.

I'm not sure what I think of the concept of "sexual addiction." I suspect it might be built that way. This is something that I can analyze in myself. Women have been known to criticize we men for "thinking with our penises." If they only knew. The basic, primal impulses that seem to leap forward when we are "horny" are fascinating. For example, How I resolve not to write again to somebody (like your hookup mate you described) who I'm annoyed with, but do it anyway when I'm aroused. In the same way some drunks have to put away the cell phone when drinking (to avoid drunk dialing), I think sometimes it would be a good idea to put the computer away when I'm aroused.

I guess I "had sex" around age 10, too. I had an early puberty. Of course, "sex" consisted of experimentation with friends my age. I'd probably be put in therapy for it today. That's the present thinking, that "playing doctor" is the result of child abuse. I wasn't abused--my brain was simply waking up. I apparently wasn't in a state of shame for it, to the extent you have been.

Every adolescent, say age 15 or so, is almost guaranteed to be obsessed and fixated on sex. It is built in. As adults, we learn to tame that primal impulse in appropriate ways, but it is no less primal.

So yes, the addiction model fits. The problem is, it's very, very hard wired. To the extent it is hard to "treat." With drinking there are people who cannot handle it, and then there are the majority, who can use alcohol when they want, and avoid it for long periods when desired. Asexuals can do this with sex, but this is a minority of the population. Perhaps that means asexuals are more "evolved."

I'm eager to read your future thoughts about the sex addiction issue and how that unfolds for you. I'm here to learn from others and to share. It's a great opportunity for me, since these kinds of conversations are tough to find in 3D.

#9 faustian1, Jun 5, 2016
  10. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Beingdude

Apologies, I'm going to be a little mean here. As I recall, you are older than me (55) by a bit. I know that I do have issues with my age even though I am pretty well preserved. When I first considered cheating on my wife, it was with a woman probably 20 years younger than me. It was, frankly, a vindication that I still "had it".

Siennafire, on my first post, suggested I was really looking for a fling with a younger man. He was off a little...but, not completely. Right idea...wrong sex. I wanted to prove something to myself.

I noticed that you brought up that this current hookup is younger...a couple of times. Are you sure this isn't more than sex? Is this a confirmation of your manhood? Sorry, but, it almost seems like you are bragging a bit here. I, totally, get that.

If what you desire is a committed, and intimate, relationship with someone, male or female, you may need to look at what you can give in that relationship. Not how the sex with someone defines you. If you don't really desire that...cool too...that is what is great about the human condition. But, you sort of have to decide what you really want here.

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find people whom want a relationship on the sites will expressly state so in their profiles, those that want fun only make it obvious as well.

Hook ups are meant to be no strings attached and a quick release. If your looking to build a relationship, stick to the profiles that expressly say that is what they are looking for or use other apps or sites more suited for dating.

#11 OnTheHighway, Jun 5, 2016
  12. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As to addiction... & men being hardwired for sex. Yes & no. One of the amazing aspects of being human is that we can change our minds, change our direction, etc. Mentally and psychically, there are many layers, some are more frozen than others. It's important to know what we want, and take any intuitive ideas to move in that direction. I sometimes put a note up on my kitchen window "No X hookup website for the next 24 hrs"... because I find I attract more men, the less I'm on the website.

I was born in '47, & generally attract people 10-15 yrs younger, even more so w guys. I've learned the most important thing in dating is to go with who I'm attracted to. This may sound "Duh"... but long term compatibility is much more likely if we are genuinely attracted to the person. I have several times had rel w women who come on to me, and they've never worked out long term. It take strong self esteem to engage with someone you're attracted to (usually)... but that's the best predictor of compatibility.

Thx OTH about profiles ... obviously true. I have often gone with the passion, of face pix, stats & comments. I will look for indicators of rel rather than just hookups

#12 Tomás1, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016