1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a balance?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RosePetals76, Jun 7, 2016.

1. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, for background... I came out in March when I entered my first lesbian relationship. It only lasted until mid May, and I'm again alone.

Now, with it being June and pride month I'm struggling with finding a balance between showing my pride, aND not being over the top. Especially on social media.

I'm not a flashy person, nor one that wants a ton of attention. I'm more an introvert. Does anyone else struggle with finding a balance between showing pride and not wanting to annoy or look like an attention seeker?

2. smurf

Personally, I think that you should burn through as many "stages" of coming out as you want.

I say go all out. Go to pride, wear a pride flag, get as gay as you want. Join a group and march in the parade! Volunteer for your local pride! Its good!

I mean, one of the points of coming out is to be able to express yourself without having to censor your thoughts and wants to a certain degree. Here is another chance to do that!

For social media, I would stick to a platform where people don't mind "spam". So Tumblr is really good to just post about as many things as you want. Posting a lot is actually encouraged! Twitter works the same way. Facebook is probably the worst to get all the energy out.

Usually, finding the right middle ground that works for you will come naturally with time. This new energy that you are feeling about being out is great. Enjoy it while it lasts :slight_smile:

#2 smurf, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  3. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There aren't any pride events in my area that I'm aware of until September.

4. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's something I've been thinking about, too. And Smurf has some great thoughts in the post, above.

I'm only out as bi locally, with my band (which is a big chunk of my personal life) and local friends. Since I'm bi, but in an opposite-sex marriage, it is important to me to show some pride and identity with LGBT, but I don't want to overdo it, either. I'm starting volunteer work for our LGBT center (first orientation is this Thursday), and I did a volunteer shift at our PrideFest a couple weeks ago. I also have a silicone wristband in the bi pride colors that I like to wear. I don't always wear it, just depends. It's easy to take off and stash, too.

I have a cousin in another state who is a lesbian and has been married to her wife for a few years now. I don't think I've ever seen a rainbow on her... LOL... she doesn't post much LGBT material on FB, either. For her, it's so outwardly obvious, perhaps she doesn't feel a need.

Once I'm fully out, I'd like to post a bi pride flag on FB on Bi Pride Day. Other than that, I don't want to put too many things out there, god knows I'm already pushing it with all the band event announcements... LOL.

I hope you find a pride approach that works for you. Thanks for sharing.