1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wish I was as sure as everybody else is about me

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CameOutSwinging, Jun 10, 2016.

1. CameOutSwinging

I know I shouldn't listen to other people's opinions per se, which is clearly something I do, but sometimes I have to stop and think...

All of my friends pretty much say I'm gay. Like, they see it as being really simple and obvious by the things I've told them, by my actions, by...I don't know, just by knowing me? I'm not exactly shy with a lot of people, especially those I'm close to. I'm the most out of the closet-closet case you've ever met. So I get it why they all think it should be an easy thing for me to just go with. Go forth and be gay! I've gotten that literal advice. Even today my ex-girlfriend (from when I was 21 until I was 28) was telling me that she doesn't get why I haven't just accepted the obvious yet.

And she's right about a lot of stuff. None of my friends would stop being my friends because I'm gay. Heck, many of them would probably grow closer to me. And my family scares me a bit, but ultimately they would be accepting. Annoying, but accepting. In a lot of ways, unlike many people who are afraid to come out because of the backlash, I don't have that fear at all.

So what am I afraid of? Right now it feels like two things - 1) being afraid of losing my wife/fiancee/girlfriend (call her what you'd like), though we're separated already. 2) I'm afraid of being wrong about being gay. I'm totally okay with being gay, as long as it is what I am. But what if I am just bi? Or one of those fancy homosexual hetero-romantics? What if I don't fall as close to the gay side of the spectrum as I think I do?

Why can't I be as sure as my friends seem to be about me? :bang:

2. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    You love who you love. Isn't that so easy to hear? Alas, it's true.
    And very confusing.

I'm sure the much more experienced members can provide vast more insight than a newbie like me, but I just wanted to reassure you that everything will be okay and you're right where you need to be (corny, I know, I'm one of those people).

3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    COS

You may be bisexual. But, you sure seem to have a hankering for sex with men...a lot of men. This is O.K. (some of us even fantasize about it).

It sort of seems like you just don't want to stay in one place (sexually) long enough to determine if it is your thing. When sex with your wife is less than desirable, you are off with men (not women BTW) quickly. When you cannot find a romantic attachment in a male, you look for a woman. It may be that you are a hetero-romantic gay guy. But, I wonder if you really just need the right guy.

Sometimes I wonder if you don't want to be gay even though you don't have a problem with others for being gay. Is is that you really desire the daddy, suburb, minivan thing? Nothing wrong with that either. But, it doesn't seem like you really want to make that commitment either. Or, is it that you really love your wife and feel you are letting both of you down?

4. bi2me

This is worded way better than I would have, so I'm going to jump on a "yes this" with Nick.

In addition, what would the harm be in just being for a bit? Leave it at "not straight" or "queer" or whatever makes you comfortable and see where your road takes you. It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks you are. I mean, in all honesty, if I'd taken advantage of my short break up in college from my (now) husband and dated women, I might not have gotten back together with him. But I'm really glad I didn't do that, because I love the life we've built, even as I feel sexually constrained in our monogamous relationship.

5. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As Ive struggled with figuring out my own label, I've had good friends simply state, "do you have to label yourself?" I guess I don't and neither do you. I feel a label is easier for the purpose of describing myself, but it's not necessary. I almost feel like a Kinsey scale number would suit me better. Like I'm a 4.8, maybe?

6. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to this. If anyone else told me my own story, I'd tell them they were in denial about being queer... well, no, I wouldn't tell them because I'm not pushy like that but I'd think it. But when I think about myself it's always "but this" and "but that."

I think there may be many reasons to be afraid of coming out, even coming out to yourself. Even if you are not afraid of backlash per se society is very homophobic and heteronormative. It's something to consider.

7. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dude, you are sooooooo gay!

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your dealing with shame and interalozed homophobia, and have not yet gotten comfortable with yourself. Work on those. For starters, go have a heart to heart with your aunts. They mean a lot to you and that might be helpful if you and they can reach a good place together.

9. YeahpIdk

You're doing with yourself what I do with my sexuality in regard to my family, and even sometimes myself, admittidly. I don't want to tell them the good news until I'm ABSOLUTELY sure. I don't want to call myself a lesbian until I'm ABSOLUTELY sure. Where does this sureness come from? Is it internal acceptance, or falling in love with someone, forever, with some psychic knowledge that we are definitely this certain thing? When you married or fianced or girlfriended your (sort of?) partner now, did you feel that way? That it was forever? Things changed, it seems.

I understand what it's like to not want to let go, but this constant questioning is just an anchor you don't want to lift because you're afraid if you don't like where you drift off to, you may never be able to get back to where you were - which in someway, was comfortable. I imagine this is how it is for me, if it's not for you. It's the fear of the unknown. But it's false. You can always turn back, and even if you don't end up in the same spot (with the person you're with now, but separated from), you can at least return to what that lifestyle was like, just maybe with someone else. That's what the issue is here. Are you going to lose this person you're good with, but not great with, because you're not sure if you want to be with her or not? Maybe. Most likely, unfortunately. I think you need to trust yourself more. Trust that you feel a certain way because maybe you're not where you're supposed to be. Maybe she's not where she's supposed to be either. You can't always hold onto what is familiar because you're afraid of what you might find out.

All I can say is, life is a wild and crazy thing. You should let go of this thing you're holding onto and see where you land. Trust yourself, and trust that you will end up where you're supposed to be. What's the point of being stuck? That's where you seem to be now. Nothing good comes out of that place. Forget a label. I know they bring comfort in someway, but just go with it. If you let yourself explore, you will find out exactly who you are. Or you won't. Either one. :slight_smile:

10. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeh it's really scaring thinking, 'what if I'm not' what a big mistake I'll be making. It takes guts, balls and everything else to step and give it a go. But if you don't you'll be forever wondering and stuck in no mans land. What do you fantisise about? Is that an indicator? Do you allow yourself to think about men?

The absolute worst thing that could happen is you try being gay, don't like it and then you'll have clarity. The best is that you could be happy. Given everyone around you knows it suspects then you don't have to deal with any surprises. The worst you have to deal with is that friends no you are questioning and I'm sure you get credit for making steps forward if they are your friends they won't judge you, they'll be supportive I'm sure. Mine have been. Albeit there's the paranoia that they are just saying they are. You can't move backwards only forwards.

11. EmH25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Titles, can be almost as frustrating as stereotyping. There may not even be a title that matches how you feel, but look up as many definitions as u can, examine yourself then when ur sure you can tell others

12. CameOutSwinging

Thank you! Encouraging words are always appreciated. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:13 AM ----------

That's exactly what I wonder too. I see the pattern. When I was younger and dated a few guys and didn't click with them and felt weird about the whole thing, I wrote it off to maybe dating guys wasn't for me. But I probably just hadn't met the right guy. In terms of not wanting to be gay, I don't know. I actually love gay culture in general and I like going out of my way to joke around about being gay, but I guess actually having a boyfriend that proves to the world "look, he's gay!" is something different. I don't know that I don't want to be gay as much as I just don't think the happily ever after romantically exists with another guy.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:19 AM ----------

You're definitely right. My fear of being alone and fear of what if I'm not gay is jumping up and down so much now that I'm essentially pursuing relationships that I'm not even ready for. Heck, I'm still seeing W even if not romantically right now. I keep telling myself too logically I need to remove my sexuality from figuring out if my relationship with W is salvageable, because there's so many other issues outside of if I'm gay or bi. And she still acts like things are so black and white, which annoys me when I feel like you make relationships work with compromise, not with writing off something you don't like about somebody as grounds to break up. Some stuff sure, but not everything.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:21 AM ----------

Yeah I guess I don't actually care about the label. I care about figuring out if I should be dating guys instead of girls. If I can be romantically satisfied by a guy. This isn't about what I'm called as much as it is about what would make me happy.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:23 AM ----------

Oh man, exactly! If I had a friend tell me my story as their own, I'd make the same assumption! But when you're trying to be logical about your own situation and you're predominately an emotional person, it just doesn't compute.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:24 AM ----------

:roflmao:

That genuinely made me crack up when I first saw it!

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:26 AM ----------

I'm definitely far from comfortable. In terms of my aunts, I know you're right, but I'm just not ready for that. Especially since when I've tried, it's been met negatively.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:28 AM ----------

When I proposed to W, it definitely felt like it was for forever. By the time the wedding came around, it felt like we'd be exactly where we are now.

You're so right about the rest. Everything. Thank you.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:33 AM ----------

I guess I'm afraid that "trying to be gay" isn't going to work because I don't know why it didn't work before. Like will I not accept it until I'm in love with another guy? That's kind of what it feels like. It's not like I don't know that I enjoy sex with men (spoiler alert - I DO! A LOT!) so it's not even like that's the question. It's all about questioning romantic interest. And potential.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:33 AM ----------

Thank you. I definitely think the more I talk about this the more I realize it's not the label I'm scared of. It's the action.

13. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, the question now is how to move forward really without falling back into old habits isn't it? This is the hard part. Understanding yourself and changing your behavior are two different things.

COS. I was, sort of, the prude version of you for a few years back in my early twenties. I knew I was bi and trying to decide to choose a direction. I figured I would never meet a guy to be a life partner but maybe could with a woman. While I was working this out, I accidentally, met my wife.

In our early relationship, it was open. We were FWB. So, I was able have the time to continue to work things through....I still looked for men too,for a couple years.

I get how hard this is to balance your sexual needs and your need for that long term commitment which is, sometimes, incompatible.