1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was inspired to come out on FB

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Jun 12, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm watching all of this stuff on the news and I just couldn't sit by and be silent right now.

I posted this on FB.... I'm trembling a little. Out of respect for my husband's privacy, I excluded his work colleagues and family from the post. But I don't want to be in the closet anyway. And this senselessness makes me feel more compelled to be honest about who I am.

Here's what I posted:

My heart is sick right now. I have been watching the news about the massacre in Orlando unfold all day and the pain has left me speechless.

So much of this is personal to me. My country, my home, that I love dearly, is sick with this gun problem, and I can't even form the words right now to say how angry and sad this shooting, and countless others have made me.

And the hate that could inspire such a horrible act. It's unthinkable. And for what? Because of who you love? The senselessness of this is just heartbreaking. To think of mothers and fathers and loved ones getting messages that their child or loved one is going to die, and for what?

And to see this all unfold during all of this celebration of Pride.

I can't sit by and pretend, in all of this, that this isn't personal to me for other reasons. This is my community, the LGBT community, that's under attack. As I have started to open up over the last year to all of my loved ones that I am bisexual, pan, queer, whatever label you want to give it, I can't pretend that this doesn't hit me hard.

I stand with Orlando. I'm so sad on this day of senseless violence.

#1 baristajedi, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off: I'm so sorry to everyone in the U.S. and everywhere else who are suffering from the terrible terror attack in Orlando.

Second: Wooh! Go you!! I'm so proud of you!!

3. freeapril

Wow, baristajedi, congratulations on coming out in such a big way! I also felt strongly that I wanted to say something when I was looking at FB today, but I did not have your courage....Thank you for being an inspiration to the rest of us.

4. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done, Jedi. :slight_smile:

All of this has been tearing up my guts today.

I have been grateful that the President recognized this as a hateful, deadly act and made it no different from every shooting at a school, church, movie theater, or military base.

I have been worried about my mom with this, since my safety has been her biggest fear since Ihave come out. But I am so grateful that my family is getting to view this event through the eyes of having a gay loved one rather than buying into Pat Robertson-esque hate speach about how g.ay people brought this on themselves with their sin, or whatever is probably going around the news circles I don't follow.

I really wonder how much internalized homophobia could have been going on for the shooter. A passing dislike for homosexuality doesn't get you to pull the trigger that many times. But, if someone hates their own sexuality and hates themselves so much, I could totally imagine that burning, internalized hate as providing the fuel for this much death, especially towards people who were out and happy and proud of who they were.

5. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have not had the courage to come out on FB yet.....but this HAS lit a fire under me. Tomorrow is the day I will(try to) come out to my family.

My mother agreed that no one deserves to be shot because of who they love, so there's that at least...

6. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, wow, Gazelle, that really is good! You can build on something like that for your mom.

7. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Way to go. It's been a rough day, I've tried to stay off FB and the news because I was so shook up. You're very brave facing tragedy head on and speaking out.

8. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's hoping! :icon_bigg

9. yuanzi

Good for you baristajedi!! So brave of you to post this on social media.

I am sure a lot of us are shaken up today. Today is probably the first time that I truly felt sad about a tragedy like this. I know it sounds callous but most of the time I don't feel much when I see tragic events on the news (be it natural or human related). I grew up hearing stories of all kinds of persecutions (not lgbt related) and have become very desensitized. But today's is just way too personal :frowning2:

So glad other members might take this opportunity to come out! (no pressure at all). I just talked to my grandma (she saw the news too) and we both agreed no one should have their life taken away b/c of whom they might be attracted to. I am so happy I came out to my family last week. Otherwise, today's conversation might descend into a moral lecture on how dangerous being gay is and how I should stay away from them. I am just so happy my family can see that I am still the same person regardless of my orientation.

Since I don't have any gay friends in real life, I will give everyone a virtual hug here (&&&) stay strong!!

10. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Virtual hug returned, yuanzi. (*hug*)

I really do hope I don't chicken out...

11. PrettyinPunk

Good for you! I applaud you for not being discouraged by the recent events and instead doing this. Mad props!:eusa_clap

12. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job, baristajedi! I'm very proud of you.

This has been a rough day for me, too. I was a little bit heartened reading Hillary's statement, she really has empathy for us in the LGBT community. But I made the mistake of reading my FB feed, too. I have a lot of Republican FB friends because I play in a country band in rural Illinois. There were some enormously hateful posts directed at President Obama and praising Donald Trump. Very hard to read.

Hang in there, everybody. And great job, baristajedi!

13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks plaidglove, I saw the story first through a Facebook update, "so and so (my friend in FL), checked in as safe". My stomach just dropped. It doesn't feel that long ago since Sandy Hook, the primary school in PA, my home state, and there have been too many to count between this and that one. And just a few days ago there was a terror attack in a cafe in Israel, just 15 min from my husband's entire family. Some of these tragedies hit closer to home for me than others. I cried a lot yesterday. I'm really sad today. But feeling a sort of angry resolve. I need to be one of the voices talking about this. There's no other choice to me at this point, this is my battle to fight.

#13 baristajedi, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  14. Embi

Embi Guest

That's so great, I'm proud :eusa_clap

Even though I am not an American, I was crying myself to sleep and I still feel so sad and exhausted this morning. However it inspired me not to hide myself anymore for real now as well. We won't be silenced by a tragedy like this! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

15. caliwoman

caliwoman Banned

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Kudos Barista! The hate is incomprehensible and unfathomable. I just don't understand...

16. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks freeapril (*hug*) We all have to do this in our own way. I've already come out now to those closest to me so to me it didn't even matter to me who will be surprised.

I've gotten a lot of likes and tear emojis in response so far, lots of support.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 11:59 PM ----------

Katchoo, thanks. Has your mom reached out to you about this since then? Your courage in coming out will certainly give your family a more personal perspective of this tragedy. Now , more than ever, I'm so proud of all of us on here for our voices, and for coming so far.

This is going to sound stupid, but knowing that our President right now is Obama, made me fee like a warm blanket was wrapped around me in hearing this awful tragedy. It makes me even more motivated to make sure we get the right person in office.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2016 at 12:02 AM ----------

Clustergazelle, this has really lit a huge fire under me, I know how you feel. Good luck in coming out to your family!!! Please keep us updated. It does sound like your mom's heart is in the right place. It's a great sign.

---------- Post added 13th Jun 2016 at 12:04 AM ----------

-----

Guys, I'm running into work, I'll be checking in again soon.

#16 baristajedi, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  17. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good for you, BaristaJedi! I have been looking for a march or candlelight vigil to join and show my support, but haven't managed to find anything locally yet. I have been fully out for a few months, yet just last year the story would have made me intensely sad, and despair at the state of the world, but little more. Now I feel these are My People, and I am hurting with them. What a difference a few months makes!

18. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been *glued* to social media. I barely slept last night, reading all the different accounts, updates, etc. I guess that's how I deal with the pain. Coming out on FB was also cathartic, I feel like, rather than brave, it's a bit soothing, to say what I want about this.

Today I'm finding it hard to act like its a normal day. I'm glad that I've left early to go to my counselling appointment. I so wanted to talk about it at work, not just sit there and work on PowerPoint slides. But I had to get stuff done so I could get out on time. I caught a glimpse of the one person I know who's out at work, she was in the same state. I would have liked to commiserate with her.

19. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup: Way to go girl! I'm proud of you for taking this huge step!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

I added a rainbow overlay to my FB picture yesterday (using Photoshop since FB decommissioned their page). I'm already out to most of my friends on FB, though I came out to a college buddy this morning who liked my new profile picture.

20. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This one hit me particularly hard too yuanzi. Big virtual hugs to you (&&&)