1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counselling

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Jun 13, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like my soul was nourished a little bit just by this one counselling session; it's really just an initial appointment to set me up for the waiting list. But soon I'll be in for weekly appointments.

There's so much to sort out, my abuse in my past, my needs as a queer woman, my life in the closet. I told him that I've been in love once with a man, and that was my primary evidence of my feelings for men. He asked me how I feel about women, and I thought about women I've loved. It made my heart really warm.

G, one of the women I loved, liked my coming out post on FB. Something about that brought up a lot of feelings.

I'm in such a pensive mood today. I'm feeling so sad about what happened in Orlando. But I'm also now pensive about me. I'm looking forward to counselling and to getting in to this next stage of delving into these things.

I wish I could just get under the covers and stay cozy right now. Tomorrow is another regular day, but things don't feel like they should be going on as normal. I really want a pride bracelet, something to express my solidarity and my place in the community. I'm almost ready to do something homemade, and I'm not crafty. :/

Sorry this is jumping all over the place. How are you guys doing?

#1 baristajedi, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  2. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doing excellent. I'm at JFK in NYC, on my way to Mykonos & the Greek Islands.

Baristajedi, I appreciate your posts & participation. I've seen a number of counsellors thru the years, & basically found it best to open up to friends & people I know about my issues … which have always revolved around relationships & sexuality.

I share your pensive feelings about the tragedy in Orlando. It made me think of gay dance bars I used to go to in SF, & the energy around the 2 am closing time. This in Orlando made me feel closer to all glbtq people I know & don't know.

Be well.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh that sounds lovely beingdude, are you going on holiday?

Why, if you don't mind sharing, do you not like therapy? It's always been quite beneficial for me.

Yes, this tragedy has made me feel even more tied to the community. It's such a heart wrenching tragic senseless act.,

#3 baristajedi, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  4. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Baristajedi … on holiday, for 3 weeks.

It's not that I don't like therapy. My point was that when we're in therapy, we often save the most juicy realizations for our therapist. I've found it more beneficial to open & share myself w my friends, than keeping the juicy stuff for a therapist. While it can be scary, it creates a depth w a friend that can open a safe place for your friend to be vulnerable as well.

#4 Tomás1, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, that's a really important point, I agree, being vulnerable with friends can create a very rewarding bond. And I think that in much of my life I have been more guarded, but lately, I'm more willing to be more vulnerable with my friends and family. I don't know whether it's that coming out had made me more comfortable being "me" or if it's just the nature of this journey, coming out is an act of vulnerability and that opens the door to sharing more openly. I suspect it's a bit of both.