1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and fallen for a woman - HELP!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by whatnow2016, Jun 14, 2016.

1. whatnow2016

whatnow2016 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could really do with some advice here...

I am in my 40's and gay. I've always been gay and always been fine with it.

A few weeks ago I met this woman through some mutual friends. (she has some work commitments on the city on and off for the next few months). I was immediately drawn to her. She is lively and intelligent not to mention, attractive. I offered to show her round the city one day while our friends were working (My day off) and she accepted. We spent the whole day together and after I dropped her back at her hotel I could not get her off of my mind. Her laugh, her ass. I made some excuse to see her every day she was in town. Then we skyped 2-3 times a day when she was away and again saw her every day when she returned.

To cut a long story short, I am pretty sure I have fallen in love with her. If this was a man I'd be banging his door down! But it's a woman. And I'm gay...?! (Very confused)

But I don't know what to do.. how to approach her. I don't know even if she likes me. What if I declare my feelings and she is not interested? What about sex? Will she be put off? Where do I start? Should I tell our mutual friends???

I feel lost, depressed and anxious.

Advice welcome.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there whatnow. Perhaps you are bisexual? Maybe just a bit bisexual....she could be one of the few women that really draw you to her.

I think, just take it slowly. It doesn't have to be a crisis in identity, labels are only there to approximate our descriptions of our self. So it could be you're pretty much gay, except.... You get the idea. :slight_smile:

3. whatnow2016

whatnow2016 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your reply.. I think she must be my magical one as I've never felt like this about another woman, ever.

But I need some advice about how to deal with the situation. Whether it's wise for me to move forward or just admire from afar?

4. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it depends on what else is happening in your life... Are you in a relationship with anyone right now?

If you're single, then j suppose it depends on whether you feel like being with a woman might eventually not be enough... I would say take it slowly. Go with it if it feels good, explore these feelings.

But, I think if you think it might go further, into something more serious, you should go into the relationship with honesty. Both to yourself and to her. For example, consider thst you might need men in your life, perhaps an open relationship somewhere down the line. Only you know what you need. But just try to go into it with open eyes.

#4 baristajedi, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  5. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have nothing to say other than: Yes, to BaristaJedi you listen.

6. Fence Hopper

How can you say you don't even know if she likes you? She chose to spend time with you on several different days, talked to you via Skype several times.

It seems to me that pursuing this attraction requires that you redefine yourself, and that's always scary, but I would suggest that this means simply broadening your gender identity, not discarding who you already are.

Above all, if you want a romantic relationship with her ask yourself if it could possibly work if you weren't completely 'out' with her. Any relationship based on deception is doomed to failure, don't you agree? Looked at another way, if she can't accept all of who you are, you don't want her anyway, do you? I hope not.

#6 Fence Hopper, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I recently met a partnered gay man who was falling in love with a woman (he's poly and in an open relationship). So yes, it's possible that as a gay man you can fall in love with a woman, assuming you fall somewhere in the Kinsey 4-5 range.

The pertinent question is what do you want from the relationship?

Once you figure that out, you could approach her. I think being fairly transparent about your situation is best, though I would wait to disclose that you are gay until things get a little more serious and you start talking about "us".

Bottom line: Why not go for it and see what happens? Otherwise you'll wonder for the rest of your life.

8. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Knowing I have that one man that I was in love with, and dare I say even attracted to, really held me back from even accepting that I'm a lesbian for quite a long time. But it's very true that even those of us that are gay can attract to a person of the opposite sex. It's why I call myself a Kinsey 4.8. Definitely lesbian, but capable of falling for a man. If you want to chase after her, go right ahead.

9. whatnow2016

whatnow2016 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2016 at 07:13 AM ----------

Thanks for your reply.

When I say I don't know if she likes me, I mean romantically. She know's I'm gay so I don't have to come out to her.

This is very new ground for me. I feel very overwhelmed like I have no choice but to tell her how I'm feeling. Which is selfish. I have thought about it (a lot) and as long as I am honest with her every step of the way, then that is the best anyone can do within any relationship.

But.. HOW do I go about telling her? HOW do I approach this? Is via friends a good option or a cop out?

10. jonnyNZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I fell in love with a girl once. At the time I was still in denial about the fact that I was gay. but I genuinely couldn't stop thinking about her. We were dance-class partners, and I loved holding her, and I loved how comfortable she felt in my arms, and I loved her smile, her voice, she was on my mind when I went to sleep, and when I woke up.

I'm messed up so I didn't even attempt to make my feelings clear, but I am kinda glad I didnt. All these times I thought about her, with love, affection, and admiration - I could never bring myself to think of her sexually. Sure I admired her physical features, but it didn't arouse me. The thought of making love to her felt completely forbidden to me, perhaps because I sub-consciously knew the magic wouldn't exist in that fantasy.

On the flip-side, if it were a guy, I would see my fantasy through to complete conclusion :slight_smile:lol::icon_redf)

So my question to Mr Poster - I know you said you like her ass - but is there genuine sexual attraction there, or do you feel it's a little forced?

If it is forced, consider how 'hungry' you might become for male contact once you realise that the woman you are with doesn't have all the bells and whistles that turn you on. I am being serious here - sexual attraction is important on both sides of the relationship - and unless you are asexual you may potentially struggle with this, which could lead to an unhappy end to the relationship.

Sorry to be the anti-cheerleader, (I chose to date a girl who I thought i was really into, until a couple of weeks in I realised that while I adored her, there was no sexual chemistry, and it actually intensified my attraction to men, wanting something that was now out-of-reach).

11. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you tell your feelings through friends...too high school.

As a bisexual, in a marriage were I hid it from my wife for thirty years, I think that full disclosure is the way I would go. There is nothing wrong with telling her that you find her desirable and it is a new feeling for you. OMG would I feel good if someone told me that!

As far as long term...don't overthink it now. As Siennafire mentioned we all have different needs in a relationship and you may find that yours do mesh. As a side...my wife told me she had always pictured herself growing old with a gay guy and then met me instead! Her gaydar sucked! Some women's needs can be satisfied with this sort of relationship. You will need to learn if yours can too. But, it can be fun learning!

12. whatnow2016

whatnow2016 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is much more along the lines I was thinking. This is a very new feeling and emotion for me so I agree, going with the flow is best. But, I still don't know if she is interested in me romantically. She is a very confident and quick witted woman and seems to be quite flirty with everyone although I know she prefers women, she refuses to label herself. So I don't know how to broach the subject. Clearly if she isn't interested then that's that and there would be nothing I could do about it anyway.

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2016 at 02:30 PM ----------

I do think about her sexually. I think about her as if I was a teenager again. Will it last? How can anyone know if their attraction to anyone will last? On the sexual level I think it may be her that has the issue. She has made it quite clear that she prefers women to men although I know she has had 2 relationships with men in the past.

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2016 at 02:32 PM ----------

Thanks

I always assumed I was a 6 and now still maybe a 5.5 (I'm not looking to change too much haha)

---------- Post added 15th Jun 2016 at 02:33 PM ----------

Thanks

I always assumed I was a 6 and now still maybe a 5.5 (I'm not looking to change too much haha)

I have never been interested in a women. Not until now. And still only this one.

13. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I missed that she is gay or maybe bi. Hmmm.

This should make it easier to just have that frank discussion. Since both of you have explored your sexuality in the past individually, I would think that this might be a very natural conversation.

What is the downside of getting this all out in the open with her? You both sound open and accepting; which is what you will need to make it work. The worst that can happen is that you just remain friends. It could possibly just turn into a safe fling for both of you too. Is that all bad?

14. whatnow2016

whatnow2016 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think she's gay but doesn't want to say so out of rebellion. She does have children (young teens) so maybe it's because of them? Who knows.

Feeling really down right now.

15. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No reason to feel down is there? Sexual and romantic attractions are supposed to feel good! I think it is great that you are open enough that you allow yourself to feel this way. If the shoe were on the other foot, what would you say to a straight guy that just met the only man he ever had feelings for, was single, and open to his feelings?

When I was 21, I knew I was bi and freaked out. Broke up with my fiancé and decided to play the "full" field. First thing I did was run into a woman that I started a FWB deal. Then after a couple years, fell in love. Thirty years later the feelings for her get deeper by the year. So, sometimes you just go with it...you know?

16. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Straight people have the occasional gay crush.. Gay people are probably the same

17. whatnow2016

whatnow2016 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True buddy. Very true.

18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. Far more important than questioning your sexuality...you're far from the first man to be certain he's gay and then fall in love with a woman (and the same happens equally often with lesbians, and with straight people falling for the same sex)...accept that sexuality is complicated and move on.

But to what?? *This* is why SiennaFire's question is so important! I find it noteworthy that you've addressed everyone else on this thread...but not this.

19. whatnow2016

whatnow2016 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I have been speaking to her and now things are far worse than I ever thought they would be.

I had some romantic notion about her. Possibly still do.

I spoke with her and she seemed fine. She didn't fall into my arms as I had hopped but she said she'd think things over. Which was a good start and at least she didn't tell me I was an idiot.

We carried on as usual for a few days then I suggested we go to the theatre for an evening. Anyway long story short after some wine things moved onto an intimate level and we slept together. I woke up completely fulfilled and in love and she woke up and left.

Things have been painfully hot and cold ever since and I do not know how to react to her at all. I have tried speaking to several friends but they are gay men and completely unsympathetic.

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2016 at 02:42 PM ----------

Sorry I haven't replied before.

I told her how I felt and she said she'd think about it. Then a week later we went out and slept together. This, to me, completed how I feel about her but when she woke up she left and has been very hot and cold ever since.

It's a very difficult situation.

20. faustian1

Well, it's crappy that those "friends" are completely unsympathetic.

Here's a thought. Could that woman be one of those cases of the amateur "gay conversion therapists," or women who delight in trying to "convert" gay guys? This has the benefit of proving to them how sexually desirable they are. After all, if a gay male will fall for them then they must be hot stuff. And lesbians will testify that this also works in reverse--guys who think they are hot stuff, if the lesbians switch sides for them.

Could it really be that creepy and sociopathic? If so, then you have my deepest sympathy. Could I suggest a therapist or someone like that to talk to? And your "friends," well they should go back and repeat that course, "Gay Community 101," where one learns the definition of that word, "community" which involves more than being a slogan.