1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A desire to post

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RosePetals76, Jun 17, 2016.

1. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I keep feeling like making this big Facebook post about my feelings lately. I don't post much like that on Facebook ever, but there's this one hanging over my head that I want out there. I thought about it before, but the Orlando attack just makes it a bigger desire. I want to tell people how we need to normalize LGBT. It needs to be so recognized and accepted that nobody freaks out when they see a same sex couple or trans person. NOBODY should ever have to feel like they are better off spending 20 years in the closet like I did. Lying to ourselves, our friends, and our families to a point that we're not even sure who we are. Ugh. To post or not to post, that is the question.

2. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi RosePetals (love the name btw!), if you are out and proud, why not? I have also struggled with being in the closet and not being as open as I'd like to be. I'm so glad it seems so different for young people now but still a long way to go, and I suppose what happened in Orlando highlights that.

3. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm only about half out. Though I'm not hiding. I don't straight up post anything about being a lesbian or who I'm dating, but I do "like" things, and anyone I talk to in person knows. I guess it might catch some more distant family and "friends" off guard. Not that I really care. I just don't want to come off as too soapboxy. Also, I don't want to make a big deal about things.

I'm considering doing this tomorrow:
    "Nobody should ever spend 20 years in the closet like I did, so I took all the kids to the pride parade in (city name) today. I want them, and everyone else, to become comfortable with all types of love." Along with a pic of us at the parade.

Or something along that line.

4. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally like to get quite soapboxy sometimes on Facebook :slight_smile:

I think what you wrote is really nice, and you make a very good point. I would definetly like it. I have a son and I would also like to take him to pride at some point in the future and I want him to be happy with all types of love.

If only everyone thought this way then things like Orlando would never happen.

5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with dirtyshirt; that's a lovely message to post. It's simply put, so not making a big deal.

6. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

I understand the whole twenty years thingy. Been there done that. But your post sounds very affirming, and we all could use more of those(*hug*)

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's great! I personally feel like now is a time when being visible and vocal really matters.

8. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I posted this on Facebook on June 8, 2015. It was my official coming out to the world at large:

This is something I originally wrote for my Gay Father's group, but upon reflection, I decided I wanted to share it with you all. Happy Pride, everyone!
    Hi Dads. I want to share with you something very simple yet meaningful that happened to me yesterday at the gay nude beach at Edmonds. Shortly after I got there, a group of three beautiful, physically fit young men, in their late 20s/early 30s, arrived and sat down next to me. A little while later, another young man arrived and sat down on the opposite side of me. Pretty soon, the group of three went down to the water’s edge and began horsing around, splashing each other and frolicking in the waves. Then, the single young man went down, and before long, he was being splashed and played with by the other three. As they came back up the beach, one of the three asked the single young man if he would like to join them, so he picked up his things and moved to their spot. Throughout the afternoon, they laughed and chattered and shared drinks, and by the end of the day, I was no longer sure which of them was the original single young man. When they left, they went as one. All of this made me very happy. I did not envy their youth, their beauty, the ease of their companionship, but instead felt glad for them. At the same time, I felt a pang for what I missed growing up as a deeply closeted gay man. And I also thought of the many men of my generation who had not been closeted and who lost so many of their friends in the plague that engulfed them. It’s good those days are over, and I’m thankful still to be here to witness the changes. Love you all! John