1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so, what a week...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by looking for me, Jun 17, 2016.

1. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lets start with Sunday morning. the range of emotions are overwhelming even nearly a week later.

then on Monday, there was much ill-informed discussion and I got a bit heated at some of the ignorance and was asked, why it meant so much to me....... I burst out "I'm Queer, that's my Community that was attacked......" so now im out at work, which I didn't want to do but you cant put the toothpaste back in the tube. I must say no one has been negative, but I do feel several are uncomfortable, too bad at this point. I am Out and that's that.

so last night I went to Pflag for our monthly meeting and felt so much better and I think/hope I was able to help some people and I know they helped me.

and today im going to a local Pride celebration. so a bit of a rollercoaster of events and I feel pretty darn good about it.....

so, how was your week?

2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Lookingforme

You keep inspiring as you come more out all the time.

The Orlando killings did have me wound up in general but I still don't really feel a connection to the LGBT community so I am not feeling it personally like so many others here do. I will say that this has caused me to really commit to attending the pride event in my town next week. But, I probably would have gone with my wife anyway even before coming out.

With the exception of this horrific event, I am having a lot of trouble not being happy with my newly "re-found" self. I am so much more open to people I meet and at work. My wife is thrilled with my attitude. It is odd...this week where everyone is so upset, and I should be too, and I cannot help but be so happy!

Maybe part of this is that I have, absolutely, no other close LGBT friends or aquantances at share with.

3. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looking for me - good job on continuing to come out! I'm not out at work yet, but it won't be long now, they are next after out-of-state family.

My week was hard until tonight. I have a direct connection to the 1995 OKC bombing. I don't want to go into it in detail, it's not productive or a good idea here, but that was very traumatic for me 21 years ago. So whenever any mass casualty event takes place, I feel some of the old pain. When the tragedy in Orlando happened, it's been really hard to handle. I'm trying to take it and turn it around and use some strength and determination to get me further in coming out. If I can come out and be a good bi person, that is the best thing I can possibly do to help our community.

I don't know if it's good or bad, but I had to work a lot of long hours this week at my day job. Wednesday was a 17 hour day. I missed our local LGBT Center's Memorial for Orlando event. The Governor of Illinois was even there. I probably would have been a wreck if I'd have been there, due to the old scars. At least my wife went.

The other thing that has been hard this week is seeing all of the pro-gun posts on my FB feed. I don't begrudge gun owners who are enthusiastic about their interest, but so many of the posts and images are so over-the-top and offensive and insulting. It's like they are intentionally trying to cause pain for those who are hurting right now. I've been staying off FB as much as I can, and scrolling past all the gun posts.

Tonight was awesome, though. My band played an outdoor show and I had a bunch of old friends come out and see us. So that was awesome. I didn't come out to any, but tomorrow morning I'm going to a liberal politics discussion group with a few of them, and I'll be wearing my Hillary LGBT t-shirt, so that will be good.

I hope others had a better week.

Take strength and energy from the thought that being out and happy is the one thing the evil people who commit the tragic crimes would want you to do least. Stick it to 'em.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    an inspiration? wow, thanks. I never think of myself in those terms. so glad that you feel such joy in being out, it's a special feeling and one that we should all be so lucky to feel.

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2016 at 01:56 PM ----------

hey Adray, sorry for your losses in OKC. I know how past traumatic events can come up later (*hug*) long hours are a mixed blessing in that the overtime is good, and a busy mind doesn't wander to places we don't want to go as easily. but it does take time from our lives. I find face book like a smorgusbourg (sp?) I take what I want and ignore the rest. but on the up side you have a supporting wife who will represent you at events like the memorial for Orlando, and you have your band to bring you joy. and trust me, animals like this aren't going to keep me away from living my life as an open Bi Person. there are a lot of things I'd like to "stick" to them but this will do. the best revenge is a life well lived. and I hope this week will be your week to be "better"...