1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What A Difference A Year Makes

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by 99701, Jun 21, 2016.

1. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started my coming out process about the same time I joined this site last year:

I now have a rainbow flag sticker on my car.

I'm on a committee at my local LGBT community center and pretty much all the staff know me.

I play trivia at a local gay bar, with friends I've met at the center, every Tuesday.

I never go to an event in the community without seeing at least one person who says hi to me.

I've worn a t-shirt a few times that says "some people are gay, get over it".

I was interviewed by a local TV station at a Pride event recently.

I think I can say I'm completely out now. Still waiting to get a boyfriend, though.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go you!!! :thumbsup:

That's amazing progress! It sounds like you are living true to you. What a wonderful place to be in your life

3. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    99701 you are inspiring me. Lets me know what I should be doing more of. Your "progress report" also lets me know that there are differences in people.

So I ask this Tuesday morning, "why the differences?" Why am I so afraid? Why do I have so much FEAR? What generates the fear?

Another cup of coffee so I can ponder these questions.

Thanks for the post.

#3 brainwashed, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  4. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that you have come that far! I wish we had a LGBT center here, but we don't. I still feel like I'm lacking the sense of really belonging to that community. I'm trying to get out there more. Lesbian Book club is coming up and I'm determined to go.

5. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry — he'll show up when you least expect him, and he'll be a stunner!

Seriously, congratulations on your progress. It really does get better!

6. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you have to celebrate every little victory (first time I went to the men's group at the community center, first person I came out to, first time I walked into a gay bar, first time attending Pride). They helped build my confidence and made me more comfortable being who I am. The more people I came out to with positive results, the more I wanted to tell. The process started with baby steps, but really cascaded over time.

I really enjoy our men's group and have made some great new friends, some of them also came out later in life. The group is very diverse and has guys in their early 20's up to 80. I haven't missed a single week since I started going to the meetings.

It probably helps that I have a lot of self confidence, too. I've worked in sales a lot of my life and am very comfortable with public speaking.

I think it's different for every person, but keep doing things at your own pace and you'll get there too.

7. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    99701 - did you by chance have any depression to overcome? It'd be good to hear if you did and how you overcame it?

8. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Luckily, I've never had to battle depression. I recognized I was gay from a young age and accepted it, just didn't tell anyone else. I couldn't come out for many years because of the military. From 1981 to 1987 I was on active duty and from 1987 to 1998 in the reserve. In those days being out meant a dishonorable discharge. I never been in a relationship with anyone and one of my goals in coming out was to change that.

9. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations 99701, my EC Christmas Buddy 2015 :slight_smile:

I've also made some great progress over the past 6 months since we chatted Christmas 2015. I even tried to graduate from EC, but somehow I keep on posting.

Keep up the good work.

10. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello SiennaFire, glad things are going well for you too. Check out the photo album I just posted. Haven't been on here very much since last Christmas. Hopefully this will be the year I finally meet someone. I'll definitely post when that happens.