1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting thing happened at a very popular fast food restaurant...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Thirdtimecharm, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yay for this hellishly long week being over. I am so over work, this damn 90 degree weather, rain, stress and making doctors appointments...

Speaking of. Had to take my boys for their yearly. After we were done from a truly traumatic two hour visit ( which included a discovery of a heart murmur, diagnosis of buried penis with surgery in the near future, recommendation of a neuropsychological eval of my older one for possible ADHD issues, failure of vision test and recommendation of GI eval of my older one...oh plus a shot and blood test for my little peanut...) I wanted an adult beverage (lol) but the kids had other thoughts. So we went to the local very popular fast food joint and ordered ice cream and drinks. My little one wanted a power puff girl toy from the kids meal and I obliged. We had a rough visit. When I asked for the toy my son was standing next to me and the young man at the register looked at me and said power puff girl, you mean he wants the skylander toy as he looked towards my son. I said no, he wants the power puff toy (give him the damn toy). The young man then asked again you sure he wants the girl toy? And I said he wants the power puff toy.

Seriously. Had to bite my tongue. Never really experienced that before...someone trying to push me to get my son to take the "boy toy." Didn't realize how much gender can be assigned to such simple things as a toy from a kids meal.

He got Bloosom btw. Super cute! And he loves her. Felt good to be his momma standing up for him and what he wanted...the "girl toy". It's a toy dammit. Anyone can play with it! Hell how many adults collect some of the popular kids meal toys from the large fast food chain. Does the cashier ask them if they want the adult toy?!?!

#1 Thirdtimecharm, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to love Powerpuff Girls. The villians are awesome. "Him" is just beyond cool. And my wife jokes that "Mojo Jojo" is my alter-ego.

You did good in the fast food place. Take care of your kids as best you can, that is a lot to absorb in one day.

3. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really? I mean. It's a toy. Like you said. I'm sure the fast food joint get's them for free (or may be not) as part of promotions.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's so silly that they like to separate them so firmly, I mean, we're all just human after all. I used to have that very same issue when I was young.

If it were a fantasy setting and a hat shop, and you were selling to beings of different inhuman head shapes, then it would make sense to "separate" things to an extent.

5. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I used to get the boys toys. Nobody cared. I think boys have the harder end of the stick with strict gendering. Getting a boy a girl's toy is practically seen as bullying haha. It's quite unfair. Then again I don't necessarily remember that clearly if anyone questioned it, as I was a small child. The strict and ludicrous gender roles and play forced on small children really annoys me greatly. When I see girls in everything pink it makes me a bit sick and when I see boys in all football gear running away from anything pink I just find it ludicrous.

6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're right there. Broadly speaking, male bodies and masculinity have historically been constructed as better, so a girl's or woman's aspiration to be more masculine is perceived as relatively more understandable.

I agree that toys shouldn't be so strictly gendered, and clothes too.

I agree with you, completely pink is unnecessary. But, clothing ranges for children are very gendered, and sometimes pink can be hard to avoid.