1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating... Please, Help...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Michael, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... Well, I'm back to 'The Market'. It's not that I expect anything to happen, and I don't really want it, still I think it's important that I go through this now : It has been 3 years since my partner died, and I've had enough of spending the weekends doing work, or in front of a screen. Besides I think I do need someone at my side, someone I can really talk to openly, and have sex with, and laugh, and the rest...

So far, it has been a dissapointment after another... If you have any tips & tricks, feel free to let me know, 'cause I'm beginning to suspect I am the problem... It used to be so damned easy as I was on my 20s, even a bit of fun, now it's just :bang: ...

... I have no idea what I'm doing wrong... But I've had enough, and I'm sick and tired of the 'it's too soon now', I don't want to wake up at 64, on my own, saying this to myself AGAIN :rolle:

2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Michael,

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your partner 3 years ago (*hug*)

As for dating, I take a Zen-like approach and detach myself from the outcome. My goal is to make connections with other guys, not to find a BF/partner/husband. I opened myself to making connections with other guys via the usual ways: LGBT support groups/meetups/activities; hookup/dating sites/apps; gay bars; etc. without expectation. As for the efficacy of this approach, while not a scientifically controlled study, I met my BF via a hookup using this approach. Neither one of us was looking for a relationship, yet we both knew we had a genuine connection upon which we could build a relationship.

So my advice is to focus less on the outcome and more on enjoying the journey. If you have a checklist, discard it. Find someone you connect with and take it from there.

HTH,
    SF
    #sfpost

#2 SiennaFire, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think we all have a checklist, at least of what we don't want.

I'm not enjoying much the 'journey', it seems I'm stuck. I do appreciate your advice, however I'd like to hear opinions from someone who has gone through a similar situation.

Can't talk much about it IRL, that's why I'm posting here.