1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking again about labels

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Jun 26, 2016.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been calling myself gay a lot lately. I sometimes say I'm gay, sometimes queer. I haven't really put a lot of thought into it, it just sort of comes out that way in conversation. I think I have fully come to a rejection of the label bi. Although I suppose it's ok to use that for convenience based on my being married to a dude. Truthfully though, it feels false.

Funny - I'm realising I don't use the term lesbian for myself, although I'm ok with that label I suppose.

I wonder if the term gay comes out in my interest in describing that part of my sexuality (ie referring to my feelings for women but not necessarily saying it reflects my overall sexuality), or if it's a reference to thinking deep down that 'gay' describes my overall sexuality best.

I don't really want to ruminate too much about this, I guess I'm just sort of fascinated with my ever changing label for me, and not even really sure what shapes that label. I still have not really been with a woman (that starts soon!), so this label evolution is sort of happening all without any of that kind of experiential insight.

I'm not really sure how to frame a question about this....but I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this. Do you guys have any insight?

And of course feel free to share your own questions/thoughts about your own label.

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2016 at 05:41 PM ----------

One additional thought - I feel warm inside when I use the term gay, the term queer also feels good, but I just feel a freedom and s feeling of comfort in using the term gay for myself.

I'm not sure how to explain why that is....is that like a sense of finding/accepting myself?

#1 baristajedi, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I know is that I started with bi as a label because I spent 10 years married to a man, but I now reject that label. I came to realize that I have no desire to seek out a relationship of any kind with a man again. I'm just not interested, and I've never really been attracted to men. So, I switched my label to lesbian.

I don't know why, but that label was hard for me at first. My heart would race when I tried to use it for myself. I even caught myself whispering the word when I used it in a sentence. Then, I thought, "who the hell taught me this work was to be whispered?" So, I got over it. I now say it loud and proud. I even taught it to my kids. They know a lesbian is a woman who loves other women and that it's a perfectly great thing to be.

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like "gay" is your label. You are gay and proud :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the above, it sounds like the term "gay" really works for you and that's great!

I say this a lot but I really hate the bi label. But even though I don't want to date a man now I know I was attracted to my ex-husband and I still fantasize about men now and then. (Celebrities, not men I know.)

I just don't want to deal with being bi. Sometimes I call myself "queer" and I like that label better but it's always hard for me to use any kind of label without feeling like I'm inadvertently lying. (The reason I feel like I'm lying is that I've never actually been with a woman.)

I called myself "gay" the other day and I liked that a lot better but... it's not accurate so... I can't do that.

#4 womaninamber, Jun 26, 2016
  5. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been listening to some old episodes of the podcast Savage Lovecast by Dan Savage. He occasionally talks about how orientation and identity are not always the same. He says that orientation is who you are literally attracted to, and that identity is the label you use for yourself. Like, sometimes for reasons of interest or social reasons or how we want to present ourselves or for simplicity's sake, we pic a label that doesn't 100% match our experiences.

So far I have only come out to people who matter to me, so "Not straight" and then describing my actual experience has worked pretty well. But, I don't want to spend the rest of my life talking to people I don't care about, saying, "Well, I'm sort of bi, but my attractions towards males are almost exclusively to gay men, so that doesn't get me very far. I'm mostly attracted towards women, but when I meet a gender ambiguous person, I am also attracted to them." I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with "Lesbian" or "gay" or "mostly gay" or "lesbiflexible" depending on the audience, just for simplicity's sake.

Anyway.... You do you! Use whatever label makes you feel good. :slight_smile:

#5 Katchoo, Jun 26, 2016
  6. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are 100% on target. Good for you!

I have identified as bisexual (to myself) for 30 years. My Kinsey score is a 3, and I am attracted to men and women, both, no doubt about it. It has been pretty constant. So "bi" fits me really well, even though I'm in a monogamous, opposite-sex marriage. I'm confident enough in it to come out publicly this year. I've known it's my orientation forever; I'm now making it my identity, too.

Technically, since I do find some trans people attractive, too, I guess I could fit as pan, too. But I like bi, I've been that for a long, long time. Now I'm coming out.

It seems from reading others' experiences here that bi is a tougher fit for folks whose attractions are primarily opposite-sex. That's okay, and I'd say baristajedi, you are right on the mark, too. Life as an LGBTQ person is tough enough, go with the label that fits best!

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rosepetals, I totally understand what you mean about how hard it was for you to get comfortable with the term lesbian. For a long time I always hedged when saying gay, queer, lesbian, maybe even bi. Using words/phrases like "like", "you know", "or something". And I would say the word itself in a protracted voice. ("I'm trying to understand whether I'm like -gay- or something"). But now it feels more natural.

In terms of the use of gay vs lesbian for me... I think I like the gender neutralness of the identifier gay for describing myself while it's clear that the object of my affection is women. I don't know if that makes sense. It's just sort of more comfortable to me for whatever reason.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 12:20 AM ----------

I feel all kinds of warm and fuzzy at seeing this in writing. I really do feel happy identifying myself with the word gay. But, yet I suppose I'm still having trouble reconciling this label with my less than parallel life. I almost feel like I am jumping ahead of myself a bit (more of my brain speaking), even though I feel good about the label (more of my emotions speaking).

I also feel like there are two sides to the use of a label; articulating your identity for describing self; and communication with others about your identity.

For self I am sort of still comfortable with queer but feeling closer and closer to home with gay. There's still that nagging doubt of "but you haven't been with women". So I'm just kind of trying to smooth out those feelings at this point.

For talking to others, I'm feeling utterly unable to use words for me. I don't know that queer is a well understood term... Bi is not my preferred identifier... But saying gay reveals things I prefer not to with certain people - it says things about my relationship with my husband that I feel I don't want to advertise. It's a matter of privacy in some respect in terms of figuring out that relationship question before making it public knowledge. It's not shame, just simply privacy. If it weren't for that, I'm almost at a pint where I would gladly tattoo GAY on my forehead. (Although that sounds painful :lol:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 12:27 AM ----------

---

Guys, I'm coming back to this thread soon...running into work!

#7 baristajedi, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whom you are may not necessarily align with where you are on your journey. You identify as gay, and thats whom you want to be. And now you are making the decisions you need to on your journey in order to live authentically that way.

Its a process, its an evolution, your proceeding down the path and making the decisions to achieve living your life being gay. Thats whom you want to be, keep reminding yourself of that!

9. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Barista, I sometimes use gay as well. To me gay and lesbian are interchangeable for women.

10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Labels are so hard to pin down sometimes, aren't they? I really think it's all about what your heart feels, honestly, whom do you love/desire/want to be with? I say that, though, with some of my own hesitations in saying "I've found my label!" I feel like it feels good...is it s proper fit? Does it fully describe me? I don't know. But I'm trying not to let those questions keep me from following my feelings as well.

I suppose I have just a little time and experience ahead of me before I feel like my emotions make more sense to me.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 05:34 AM ----------

Katchoo I totally agree on all of this; the idea that orientation and experience don't always match, and also the use of labels for simplicity.

I suppose though that I really can't think of one that fits the simplicity principle. I think on some level I need to let go of the need for simplicity though, because I'm not sure there is anything that will be an efficient and accurate label for me.

I do like the way the label gay makes me feel...that's all I know so far...

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 05:38 AM ----------

Adray, I love that you've got such a strong, secure sense of your identity. I wish I'd had such a grasp on mine as long as you have.

It is true that I could technically fit in the big bi umbrella. But it's also true as you say that something about my feelings and the bi label just don't seem to mesh.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 05:42 AM ----------

I feel like my feelings are *almost* there. I'm still trying to let my feelings sort of guide me to the label. Maybe I won't feel fully clear and settled in this feeling until I've been with a few women. Once I reach that point of feeling settled though, I will be certain to follow your insight - keep reminding myself of the person whom I know I am and want to be.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 05:45 AM ----------

I agree Rosepetals, gay and lesbian are certainly interchangeable for women. I just personally feel really warm and comfy calling myself gay.

#10 baristajedi, Jun 27, 2016
  11. Nyx2

Out Status:
    A few people
    Labels are so hard to pin down and you're all right, there is only rarely one that fits an individual well. I've also only ever come out to people I care about, and identifying as "not straight" has worked best for me. I am not a fan of the word queer, although I'm not sure why, and I hadn't really thought of using gay. As I struggle to find a label for myself I think I'll have to try those out. It sounds to me like you are settling on gay for yourself and I'm so happy for you!!

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's OK to use different labels in different situations. I use gay in real life and Kinsey 5 on certain EC threads. Similarly you can use gay in situations where you can be authentic and queer in situations where you want to preserve privacy.
    I agree with this sentiment! Use the label as tool to remind yourself of your destination (living authentically as a gay woman).

#12 SiennaFire, Jun 27, 2016
  13. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've actually been referring to myself as "gay" in my head, which is odd, because I know it isn't true. I just started dating a guy, but I still have a massive crush on this girl at work, and if we both didn't have boyfriends I'd be making a move....so bi/pan is definitely right.

But at the same time, I still do fall under the gay umbrella, so maybe I can use that?

14. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Nyx. Labels are slippery little buggers, aren't they? I have used similar ways of describing myself too (somewhere between gay and straight). You will learn what fits you best. Some folks decide they don't want any label in the end. It's all so very personal.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 09:39 AM ----------

That's a powerful sentence. What both you and OTH are saying in this thread is making me feel...a bit humbled, and moved. A part of me feels so drawn to this sentiment, but this is where I *almost* am. I'm almost ready to say, this is my destination.

I'm just thinking back as well to the day I came to EC, how lost and confused I was. And how my life now is moving towards something that's starting to feel very good and right.

That makes a lot of sense. I suppose I can 'code switch' as necessary.

Is queer well-understood even in the straight world? I'm just curious.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 09:42 AM ----------

I think it makes sense to refer to yourself that way, it feels right to you.

I like that - you are under the gay umbrella. :slight_smile: I was thinking at some point of saying "I'm one of the colours in the rainbow"

15. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Barista

But that's the thing, I DON'T really feel like that label fits me well. Bisexual definitely. Pansexual definitely, probably the most fitting.

16. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure, I understand. But if you like to use the term gay more loosely, that's up to you.

I think I'm just bad at articulating myself sometimes. I understand that you identify as pan.

17. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I should also articulate better. I DO identify with the gay label, it's just that I identify with the bi and pan(I use them interchangeably) labels the most, so gay isn't a label I choose to identify as, if that makes any sense.

18. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you are ready, you will make the jump to gay. OTH and I will be there to greet you on the other side. Until then you should be very proud of how far you've come and let your progress nourish you as you prepare for the next leg of your journey.

19. Nyx2

Out Status:
    A few people
    @baristajedi- Hello again. I expect you noticed that I am new here, just joined over the weekend, so I'm not sure about how to do things like quote what was said. I will learn, and it won't take me too long.

Till then, I am very lost and confused myself, but joining this forum is the first step toward finding myself. Wait, that isn't right. I know myself... I am looking to find how I can better fit the person that I am into my current life, society, and this world. I am who I am, and I am happy with who I am, but I need to find out how to be myself AND happy in the place that I am. If that is even possible. I'm not sure.

I like how you said that "Some folks decide they don't want any label in the end." I know I haven't found a label I like so far. And just to answer your question, I think that queer is not well understood, especially in the straight world.

Also, I hope you and everyone who reads this knows that I am grateful for the support that I am finding here.

20. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've found this thread really interesting.

I'd love to be the sort of person who doesn't need a label. Right now, I feel that I do need one, but it's too soon for me have one. I can relate to what you've said about your feelings not matching your situation, baristajedi. I think I possibly feel the need to have a label because this is all new, and I'm reshaping my identity, if only to myself for now. Possibly, I won't worry about it so much in a few years time. At the moment, I feel like I need clarity, and considering different labels helps with that, and whilst I know it's not really possible, I feel the need to identify with one perfectly, because that would validate my feelings.