1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reflection on the past, Hate and the Stonewall Inn

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Jun 26, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Caution, graphic wording.

I was just a small kid when Stonewall Inn riots occurred. I really cant say I specifically remember the riots, for this was the Late 60s and there were riots all the time. Riots were a way of life. There were riots about Vietnam and race.

But I do remember hate. Hate was everywhere. And I learned about hate mainly aimed at gay people "faggots", and black people "niggers". These are the words of hate in the late 60s. I think I remember hearing news stories about "hangings" of fags and niggers, primarily in the south - fact check needed. (I'm pretty sure of this.)

America has come a long ways since the riots at Stonewall Inn. No longer are the two despicable words listed above tolerated. No longer is the perpetration of hate tolerated on the scale that existed in the late 60s.

2. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    History, I love history. (A simplified explanation of recent views on homosexuality in America.)

During the Roaring 20s, views on homosexuality were greatly relaxed. Even tolerated. Gay night clubs sprang up and flourished in larger cities. Then came the Great Depression with the "religious types" preaching the depression was Gods punishment for tolerating homosexuality. (hey you've got to get a job doing something, less you starve, why not preach hate?)

The religious types visceral hate grew and flourished and weaved itself into mainstream American culture. Finally the the counter culture of the 60s sparked change. One event of this change, the riots at Stonewall Inn.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 07:58 AM ----------

I forgot the link:
    The Roaring Twenties - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2016 at 08:03 AM ----------

It's interesting reflecting on Christianity in America and it's persecution on LGBT people. Then I study and reflect on Christian behavior towards people of color - black & red people, which dates back to the colonies. Lets make slaves of them I say, yes even the Puritans made and had slaves.

There is a fundamental flaw in American Christian values and it has existed for a long time.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too. My favourite period is early modern England. But, I have a general interest in the history of sex, sexuality, and gender.

If you haven't come across it before, this blog has some interesting posts: NOTCHES | (re)marks on the history of sexuality

Thanks for the link.