1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like such an idiot…

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by PlaidGlove, Jun 29, 2016.

1. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was so happy about hooking up with this woman whom I've been interested in for years. Afterwards, I said she could contact me next time she were in town if she wanted to meet up again.

A couple of days later we flirted a little and she seemed interested.

After a while, I figured the "contact me if you want to meet up" thing sounded like I was only interested in something casual, while what I wanted was a date, so I asked her to have dinner with me, but she was out of town already.

I should have seen it already then. No rain checks, no "I'd love to another time though". I didn't lose hope fast enough, apparently. I let myself go blind.

Anyway, we met at a later event. She was with her friends but we hugged. Then I took her hand and invited her to join me on the dance floor, but she just turned away from me and left. No "sorry, I think I've given you the wrong idea". Nothing at all. Just an empty hand and the back of her skull. I felt the message was clear: She didn't want me around.

I felt so stupid and hurt, so I did what my coping mechanism tells me to do in those situations: focus on someone else. I went and danced with other people and was hit on by this other really attractive woman who I let myself be distracted by. We danced, flirted, and eventually started making out quite heavily. I felt better. Then that woman suddenly disappeared for god knows what reason while I was away momentarily, buying a drink.

Rejected for the second time in one evening. Charming, eh!

Then I made a really stupid mistake.

I got home, wasted, and I started chatting with the first woman, the one I've been interested in. Completely moronic, I know. Drunken confessions over text, I mean how fucking pathetic does it possibly get. Well, I felt pretty goddamn screwed, and I told her I had wished she had been frank with me about not being interested in me. I told her I had liked her for a long time, and that I had rejected her friend because I liked her better. She said she felt a bit overwhelmed (understandable), that she was sorry if she had disappointed me, and that she had been really burned by a previous relationship. I told her I've been hurt in the past too, that I know what it's like.

She tried calling me, but I was all tears, screened it telling her why (another stupidly honest move), so she suggested we have a proper talk later.

I contacted her again a few days later and thanked her for being there for me when I was stupidly drunk and emotional, saying I'm still up for talking if she is, that I'm here and I'm willing to listen if she wants to talk.

I haven't heard anything since and I feel really sad about it. I keep beating myself up over little things I might have done wrong, like I'm not X, Y, or Z enough. I feel like such an idiot.

I know this is self-pity speaking, but right now it really feels like I'm doomed to fail with women I really like. :frowning2:

#1 PlaidGlove, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like a tough evening. I'm sorry it's so difficult. I am proud of you for being brave enough, even with liquid courage, to express your feelings, flirt, talk to girls you like. That is impressive. When I was dating men, a friend of mine would encourage me to consider failed dates as "boy practice" and have fun if I could, learn from them, and move forwsrd. Maybe you have had girl practice? I'll let you decide what you learn, but, I dont think you are doing as bad as you say you are.

3. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, Katchoo. That's very kind of you.

I don't know what to do the next time I see her. Be superficially polite and nothing more, I guess.

I've already asked her to be honest with me, so why ignore me when she's the one who suggested a proper talk? I don't get it!

And I don't get how you can be all on someone one minute and completely off the next. I mean, who the hell does that? And why?

It just gets to me. Is it all part of the consumerist, individualist culture? Like people aren't worth anything. I was brought up to live by "Do as you would be done by" to the best of my ability and within reason, so it just really gets to me. *Sigh*

4. Really

I think there's a very small likelihood that's it's you.

She may very well want to talk to you and/or like you but, like everyone else, could be plagued by overthinking things.

Does Plaidglove like me? Do I like her? Have I taken too long getting back to her to have a talk? Does she even still want to talk to me? I feel foolish having taken this long, maybe I should forget it. She probably thinks I'm an idiot now. I don't even know what I'd say....

And here you are inventing scenarios because you have no information to go on. We all do that.

Try to think of it this way, "no news is good news". And if you want news, you'll probably have to be your own journalist. (Sorry, fell down that metaphor black hole and I couldn't get out.)

5. PlaidGlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, Really. I really appreciate it. I just feel that it's difficult to reach her on a level that is more than simply superficial.

6. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you did anything to be embarrassed about. You were really open with your feelings, if others don't appreciate that you can't help that they're not as awesome as you. In your position I'd probably have done all the same things.