1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could I have been trans?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BasicBitch, Jun 30, 2016.

1. BasicBitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I should explain first...

When I was a kid (maybe 5 or 6), I remember wanting to wear my mother's heels and listening to "diva music" (I still do) and going over to my girl friend's house to play with Barbie dolls. However, my parents saw through this and told me to stop doing these things because they were feminine and girly and because I was a boy.

As of right now, I've recently come to terms with my sexuality, and accepting the fact that I am a little feminine in some aspects, while still identifying as a man, my biological sex.

My question is: if my parents hadn't stopped me, and I continued to relate to more things that were more feminine and less masculine, it occurs to me that eventually I could have possibly related more to women to the point that I identify as a woman. I was just wondering if anyone else has felt that way.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Read my thread called "Gender". Lots of people relate to you, including me. Do you want me to bump it for you?

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive watched a couple videos about a guy that detransitioned from being a transwomen (after having all the surgeries) because he realised that he had been coerced and encouraged to dress/act like a woman from a young age and eventually started to believe that that was who he was meant to be. [Disclaimer: he now seems like a transphobic asshole who doesn't believe transition should be allowed and trans people aren't legit].

I don't believe that it's that easy to manipulate a child into believing they were trans, you'd have to be very consistent and the kid would need to be very suggestible. Liking feminine things doesn't necessarily mean that you will eventually identify with being a woman. I know girls who are/were only interested in football, cars, only had friends that are guys, don't like anything girly whatsoever. They still identify as girls though. That integral part of them doesn't change. A lot of kids go through stages in their young age where they want to experiment and it seems that you went through that very generic and common stage, absolutely nothing wrong with that and your parents shouldn't be allowed to dictate your interests and the toys you play with. Toys =/= gender. Even if you started questioning your gender I doubt that would have ever come to the conclusion that you're a transwoman if you wholly identify as male now.

#3 Aberrance, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  4. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, if you aren't trans now, you wouldn't have been trans then. Your hypothesis paints transsexualism as a social phenomenon, rather than the medical (brain structure) condition it's accepted to be by, for one, the AMA.

5. BasicBitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Do it