1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I met the first real-life guy who is bi like me (and other effects of coming out)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Adray, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As many of you know, I came out as bi here locally in May. I have always been bi, and am married (opposite-sex wife) and monogamous. I'm coming out to be the true me and to try to be a part of the LGBT community by being out, volunteering for PrideFest, volunteering at the LGBT Center, etc.

I play bass in a rock/country cover band. Tonight, we were booked to play a rural lakeside tent party after their 4th of July fireworks. There was an opening country band, then fireworks, then us.

The first band had finished, the fireworks were popping, and I was sitting in a folding chair inside of a trailer, waiting for the sound guys to get the lights up before I set up my gear. A friend of the band comes up and says to me, "I just wanted to say to you, I am like you. I am bisexual too." I was stunned. I thanked him for telling me and asked him if he was "out". He didn't seem to understand what that meant, it was weird. He's older than me, probably mid-60's, just a friend who likes the band a lot. So that was actually really cool.

Since I came out, my drummer's gay brother and his husband have been coming to a lot of our shows, too. They sometimes bring friends, and they like to sit with me and my wife, etc.

I guess I'm just amazed at the LGBT people I'm meeting as a consequence of coming out while in this band. And I have to tell you, I started the night tonight feeling really out of place at that lakeside gig... the opening band's singer talked a lot on the microphone about how America is in trouble, everybody needs to register to vote, take back America, Make America Great Again TM... LOL. It was feeling like a cross between a Trump rally and Hee Haw for a little while. I was thinking about how I'd honestly be more at home in a gay bar watching a drag show. I kept my Bi Pride wristband on the whole night, though.

Just some notes, post coming-out. Sorry for the long post, but hopefully someone finds it of interest. I'm not the only bi guy in town! (!)

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's amazing how you start to find others you can relate to once you are start opening up.

It's great to make those connections!

(Sorry about the otherwise gross/awkward Trumpiness of the show :rolle::tantrum:slight_smile:

#2 baristajedi, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Neat, that's a wonderful suprise.

4. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome Adray! Especially after you being worried about your band mates reactions, that you have actually met other LGBT people through the band. Great that people feel they can open up to you now as well! It feels so liberating to be out to people :slight_smile:

5. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry you had to hear all that Trumpiness(did the crowd react favorably?), but otherwise very nice story.

6. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everybody for the feedback.

The crowd didn't really react to the singer's pro-Trump / anti-Obama comments. They weren't really into the band that much in general. Perhaps that's part of why the guy was trying to stir something up. But man, one of the cardinal rules of being in a band... never, ever, talk politics on the microphone. You should have seen this guy's guitarist giving him the evil eye, too... LOL.

The crowd was a bunch of rural small-town people from all around the area. Good people, and they were great to our band. I'm more of a city person, so I always feel a little out of my comfort zone in situations like that. But that's okay, we were their guests, and I appreciated that. I try to treat everybody with respect even if we're different, that's the way I'd want to be treated.

7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Adray

Glad to hear you are finding some interaction with other LGBT folks. I have yet to find that in my area...very rural. It looks like your band is a great way to do that.

I am trying a different tack since there is no real/any venue for meeting other bi or gay men. I put a profile on a hookup site and was clear I was looking for friendship only. I have a couple of "non-hookups" this week. This was my wife's idea.

At first I was pretty judgmental about the whole thing. Why would I be friends with someone looking for sex on a hookup site? Of course, I tried that a couple months ago...so. Both are other bi-married guys looking for someone who can relate as much as anything.

It is tough to engage other mid-age bi men. They hide well!