1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Examining labels

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RosePetals76, Jul 4, 2016.

1. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking a lot about labels lately. I've gone through a period of trying to reconcile my past relationships with men, knowing that I'm a lesbian. I hate the thought of having lied my way through those years. I do feel like I loved a few men, but I still know there was never that true attraction with them and I was always missing certain connections in those relationships.

My question is: Is it possible to be both a lesbian and panromantic? Since I know I only have that true attraction and desire for a woman, but that I did love some men in the past, I'm kind of feeling like that might be where I am.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a really interesting question, and something I have considered myself. I can remember a time when I couldn't wait to see my partner, and felt that we had a great emotional connection. It's very confusing. But, aside from a few months, I've never been completely happy with him.

That's not really helpful to you, but I understand where you're coming from. I'll be interested to read other responses.

3. afgirl

I really think we cripple ourselves with labels. Especially in this day and age, there are so many labels that I honestly can't keep up. Allow yourself to love and be loved, and it's of no importance if you once loved a boy or if you never loved a boy, or whatever. Some things can't be easily explained. I struggled for months with how I could have gone my whole life not knowing who I really was, not really missing anything until what I really wanted and needed was smack in front of me. I struggled with it, and thankfully, the fact that it doesn't matter how I got here was finally apparent. The point is, I got here, and I am thankful for that.

4. Alfhild

Sure, like others have said, it isn't about labels, you are whoever, however you want to be. :eusa_danc. In addition, sexual attraction and romantic attraction can be totally different, I've know gay people that have had loving relationships with others of the opposite gender but are only sexually attracted to their own gender and vice versa. More recently, they have extended the genderbread person to include romantic and sexual attractions.

5. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it is. I believe there is a similar term: panromantic homosexual.