1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about having kids....

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Jul 6, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isn't that weird? It's something that I'd never, ever considered before, maybe because it never seemed like an option.... But it is... I keep wondering if I'm too old to have kids, but I guess I'm really not. It's crazy...

2. Really

They'll ruin your figure.

3. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've thought about this, too. Really, it was part of my coming out conversations with my parents, that I want a family, want kids, but I'm just not ever going to marry a man, so by coming out as gay, I'm actually MORE likely to give them grandkids in one way or another... In the closet, I had resigned myself to perpetual singleness. Coming out, I feel hopeful that someday I can have a family that I previously gave up on.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having kids is part of being human. It is no panacea for happiness, neither is it endless drudgery.

Each child is a lesson in love, there is no other reason to have them, there is also no reason not to have them, whether gay or straight, everyone should have the opportunity of experiencing what it is like to be a parent, it changes you, it's a bridge that goes only one way and it is life-altering.

5. bi2me

Greatwhale - this is exactly what I wanted to say, and (of course) much more eloquently :slight_smile:

I would also add that if you don't want to be a parent, it's a totally acceptable decision too. I have quite a few friends who never wanted to have kids, but we are able to respect each other's decisions as what was best for each person/couple.