1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking up a sport after 30?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Jul 8, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is that a crazy idea? I really want to take up some kind of sport these days. It would mean a big lifestyle change for me (I watch way, way too much TV, and I drink too much), but that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I understand that this is likely one of those second-adolescence things; I always wanted to play sports back when I was a teen/younger adult, but then people would have known I was gay, and that would have been hazardous to my health, so to speak. But has anyone here taken up a sport after your prime sporting years? How did it go?

2. Klutz

I'm 29 and I just started rollerblading again after 13 years or so. I'm not doing tricks or jumps, but I needed to do some cardio and I despise running. I was self conscious about it, but I knew that I would give a friend the advice that age doesn't matter and who says that adults need to stop learning and having fun. Knowing that I would give that advice, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't follow it when there was something I wanted to do. I know it is easier said than done, and I didn't even have the social aspect of picking it up.

3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Took up whitewater kayaking at 35
    Took up road bike racing at 45
    Took up ice climbing at 47
    Took up kitesurfing at 50

How did it go? Really well! I hold my own on any of these activities.

Seriously? Thirty is a baby! Just do it!

4. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My roommate just started roller derby at age 34. My sister in law started softball after 30, and I returned to equestrian sports after a 10 year break. Go for it!

5. Jjanon

Just got a road bike at 33. It's pretty fun. Anything is possible. Go for it!

6. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is really inspiring Nick! You must be in great shape. I want to get into doing more cycling!

7. Fehu

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I started with circuit training when I was 31. It was a bit hard in the beginning because I was also way too lazy otherwise :grin: But after a few weeks it got better and better and now it's no problem for me anymore. And I feel much better now! I think the most important thing is that you have fun doing it and don't give up immediately if it's a bit hard in the beginning :slight_smile: Just try something!

8. CameOutSwinging

I took up boxing at 29. Been doing it actively for over three years now. I love it and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm hoping to have my first actual fight by December.

9. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's because Nick lives out West; all those Westerners are like that ;-)

I appreciate the feedback. I've made some good progress in the past month or so, from radically reducing added sugar consumption to coming out to more people, including my parents, and starting to make some local friends. Now I want to get myself out of the living room and do something to help enjoy my time better. A sport would definitely be different for me, and I need to give something a shot.

10. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Crazydog15

The best activity I do is road biking. It really helps with strength and balance. Plus hot guys in tight shorts! The other thing that can really work is to get some core exercises going. It doesn't take a lot of time...or it shouldn't...to notice a difference!

At your age you will be buff in no time!

11. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took up masters swimming at 58. I compete in lots of pool competitions (results are grouped in 5 year increments, so I'm now competing with guys who are 65 to 69. The oldest competing masters swimmer died recently at age 106 — needless to say, he won all his events!) A week from today, I'm swimming a 3.2 mile open water race in Lake Washington. I don't swim to win — there are lots of guys my age who are much faster, having swum since childhood — but I do enjoy the companionship (without which I probably wouldn't persevere), the exercise (which keeps my weight down), and the fantastic feeling I get after a workout (endorphins!) Other sports that I've taken up in latter years include roller skating (quads) and gym climbing. As Nike says, Just Do It!

I should add, I lost 100 pounds nearly 14 years ago. I did it by walking a 2.8-mile circuit every day for a year at a moderately vigorous pace, as well as by restricting carbs and upping my fat intake (paleo diet). With continued exercise and attention to diet, I've had no problem keeping the weight off.

And I guess I should also add, losing weight and becoming physically fit was a great incentive for me to come out. My self-image improved immeasurably and I realized that I was physically desirable to other guys.

#11 Weston, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  12. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for sharing your story; it really gives me something to think about. I'm starting to think that maybe my issue was that I just didn't want to do something where I wouldn't come close to winning. :slight_smile: Which means that maybe I shouldn't always be looking at things through rainbow-tinted glasses.... But like you said, even if you aren't necessarily winning, participation itself can be a great help at building relationships, looking better, and all that. Again, something to think about.