1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I believe in myself but others can

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by HIMYM, Jul 9, 2016.

1. HIMYM

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya this is my first forum that I have written on but everyone on here is very supportive to each other. As I am a trans women and I have not had any support really thus far, (I have been out since 2012 to everyone). I have got to the point that I need to find support to help me gain confidence and self belief, and maybe some future advice.

Is there anything that I can maybe do to to gain any form of self belief as I don't seem to have any at all right now. I don't believe that I am kind, good looking strong but others see it in me and have mentioned it to me, but why don't I see it myself and believe that its true. Why do I not see all those things, and my inner voice telling me that they are just lying to make me feel good,just so they feel better about themselves.

Why does my brain tell me these things,and I fall for it ever time, grrr
    Does anyone have any advice on how I can try and make this feeling stop, and go away please.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi HIMYM, welcome to EC :welcome:

I think you'll find that everyone in here is very supportive and welcoming. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure it will resonate with others on here as well.

It sounds like you're struggling a lot, and I can imagine that it's not easy to try to be yourself with confidence when you feel like others have judged you for who you are.

The best advice I can start with is to try to build a support system in the LGBT community. Opening up here and with other LGBT folks in real life will help you see that you're not alone. So many people feel similar things to you. So many LGBT folks have felt isolated, alone and judged.

You say that others see in you your kindness, your beauty, your strength. I understand that seeing it for yourself is totally different than hearing others say it to you. But my thinking is that if others see this goodness in you it is likely that you have shown your friends a real side of yourself, that gives them a glimpse of this beauty and stength and kindness. I think those qualities come out when a person is willing to be vulnerable and open about themselves with others. And that is likely when your friends see this in you.

To build inner strength though, it's important to work on getting rid of shame that is often part of coming to terms with being LGBT in our society. It's not easy to go through life knowing who you are, when others create such a toxic environment to do so. Be easy and kind on yourself.

I think counselling will allow you to dispel much of this shame and build up confidence and self worth.

Big hugs. (*hug*) you're making very brave steps already, living authentically as the woman you are. I hope you stick around snd keep posting.

---------- Post added 9th Jul 2016 at 01:40 PM ----------

I just want to add one thing - it takes a whole hell of a lot of strength to be your authentic self, so j have to say you are certainly a strong, brave woman. Keep that in mind!!

#2 baristajedi, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2016