1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is dating so hard?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RosePetals76, Jul 10, 2016.

1. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know some answers to that question, but seriously, why is dating so hard? I understand the whole small dating pool thing, especially in small town midwest, but there's so much more to it.

The first woman I dated, I fell hard for. I wanted to keep her so badly, and I couldn't believe how strong my feelings were. I'd never felt like that. But she left. Apparently those feelings weren't there for her. :frowning2: Now, I'm out in lesbian dating world, a world of which I know nothing, and I feel lost. I'm sort of seeing someone, but I'm having trouble getting time with her, and I'm left longing for that closeness I felt for such a brief time. I want someone to cuddle up to, to talk to, and to want me. But I've never really dated before, and dating is so hard. It leaves me with such a longing. Why in the world is it so hard?

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time. (*hug*)

It must be difficult not being able to get time together. I haven't got any advice I'm afraid; I've never dated before either. It's one of the things I'm scared of.

3. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have exactly the same problem. I've been seeing someone for 3 months now, and I'm aware that whilst I would desperately like more closeness, and more of her time, she isn't giving off any signs of wanting the same.

A friend who came out a few years before me (I am 55 and only out last year, she is 58) tells me that it is an age thing. Women our age have got set in their ways, got routines, established friendships, and it's a big thing to ask them to disrupt these (which are their support and coping mechanisms), so they are only prepared to do so once they are absolutely sure a relationship with you is what they want above all. When you look at it like that, it makes sense. The woman I am seeing turned 65 last week, and has a huge network of family and friends, and an all-consuming social life. I'm beginning to wonder why she even went on the dating website in the first place, seeing as she seems perfectly happy going on the way she is.

You are quite a bit younger than me, so I don't know how much all this holds true in your situation. How old is the person you are seeing?

4. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The woman I'm seeing right now is only 30. She's still in the closet, which probably plays a big part in how much she can get away. She lives with family, so doesn't have as much freedom as the average single woman. I try to be patient because I really like her, but I just want so much more with her.

The last one I was with was very much like you described. She is 40, has a ton of social relationships, and many friends that she really liked her freedom, and I think the mom role I have scared her.

I just really want that closeness, to wake up next to someone that cares about me and be able to wrap my arms around them. It's like I got a taste of what I've been missing my whole life, and now I can't have it.