1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our perception of time

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Michael, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So yesterday I sent my sister some picture from 2009 or 2010, and she went right away 'Wow, that's old...' Yes... she is 15. As I was her age, I would have probably said the same (preceded by 'Thank you').

At some point (mid 20s?) my perception of time changed. Now a year (four seasons, think about it) goes in a sec, three years seem to me 'just a while ago'... Now five years seem to be 'some time ago'... But still it's not a fucking millenium! :rolle:

I just wondered how is it for people on their 40s, 50s and so on.

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With all the things that have been going on lately in my life time has slowed down a lot during the last year, and it has actually felt as long as it did when I was a young teenager. I feel we see so much of the same and don't experience a lot of new things as adults. We have less and less significant memories that make up a year as life goes on making it seem like the year was really, really short. That is my theory at least. :slight_smile:

I am curious how it is for others too and if time "slows down" during times of lots of new experiences for them as well.

P.S. I agree with your sister Michael, 2009 - 2010 was ages ago! :wink:

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My perception of time also changed in my mid-20s, but I put that down to having my daughter. Since she came along time just flies by!

I also agree that 2009 - 2010 was ages ago. :slight_smile: But I was in my early 20s then.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To paraphrase a beautiful line from the movie The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: it's the person without memories who finds that life is short...

5. Morgana

I think this paraphrase from a book I read says it best.

"Once my years were precious, now my days are."

There is, for me at least, the definite feeling that time is passing. It's not that it's going faster, it's that I know that now it's more likely that there's more behind me than ahead of me. No, I'm not bemoaning the fact. I've lived a good life. Do I have regrets? Of course I do. The only ones that don't have regrets are either very young or haven't lived their lives fully. None of my regrets are sufficient to make me hate my life, though. I have two daughters that have made me proud to know them, I have two stepsons that I'm glad to have met, albeit much later in life. I have done many things; I've saved lives, I've cared for those who needed me, I've helped family members deal with the loss of a loved one under my care. I've traveled some, but not too much. I've even had a small share of fame in my life (no, you've never heard of me, I know... I did say a small share :icon_wink )

I've also done some things I wish I hadn't done. I married young, and didn't realize that marriage didn't mean that the work of a relationship was over, but rather just beginning. I learned some harsh lessons about myself as well.

I've still got a lot of things I want to do. The greatest annoyance that death has for me is that I will inevitably leave things undone, and I will miss out on things. Right now, I want to see the next Star Wars movie.. I want to watch the next episode of some of my favorite shows. I want to read the next Game of Thrones book, among other less well known series out there.

If I've realized one thing it's that the best life will always end with things undone. Otherwise, if you're finished, then all you're doing is counting the days till it's over. Don't ever stop living your life. Live your life like you're immortal. Start a new book or series! Crank up a new project in the workshop. Start writing that novel you've got floating around in your head.

Live. Laugh. Love. It's all we've got, folks, so make the best of it.

6. Bahh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Being a closeted young teenager who deals with social problems and infuriating people on a daily basis, I can personally testify to the fact that a year seems to be roughly equivalent to a millennium. Honestly, even a couple of weeks feels like a dreadfully long time to me. I suppose there's some comfort in the fact that eventually, things are going to speed up and stop being so annoying on a daily basis? I really do hope so. That's not to say I don't have enjoyable moments, quite a bit of my life is great, in fact, and I know I'm very lucky. I guess the bad things just tend to stick around more in your memory…

Sincerely,
    Bahh, the naive young teenager.

#6 Bahh, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not so naive, young man! :slight_smile:

We feel bad things about twice as strongly as we do good things, this has tremendously powerful implications for how we make decisions.