1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to feel like you're part of the gay community?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Jul 14, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Any suggestions? As mentioned before, I don't live in a place with a large gay community; if you've lived in a place like that, how did you feel like you were part of the gay community? I often find myself asking myself, "what would it be like to be gay?" That's such a silly question, seeing as I am gay. But I only know three gay people where I live. I wonder if I knew more gay people, and hung out with them, I'd feel better about my progress as a recently out gay man.

Any suggestions?

2. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you figure it out, let me know. I can't seem to figure out how to be a part of the community, either. Where the hell are the other lesbians hiding?

3. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. :slight_smile:

4. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

The...the rumours are true! The lesbians...they don't exist!

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't be intolerant, homophobic or less-supportive to any section of LGBT community. Stay true to yourself and don't change for anyone.

That's all I can think of. I always think I want to be that.

6. Closeteer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some suggestions, hope they help! (Congrats on the coming out part! Awesome! :-D):

1. Stay in touch with LGBT news - you could subscribe to Huffington Post's Queer newsletter. They do a great roundup of major news stories every other day and they carry a large number of heart-warming tales :slight_smile:

2. See if you can do volunteer work online, seeing that you don't live in a place with a lot of options. I'm sure others on here could probably help more but I wouldn't be surprised if LGBT groups would sign you up if you wanted to spare some time (you can even volunteer at EC!!)

3. If you use dating sites/apps then you can be clear that you're looking for friends. You might still face the occasional flake and it's an uphill climb but you CAN make friends through apps!

4. Maybe plan to attend a pride event or another LGBT event in a larger city as a gift to yourself? Sometimes just being around a lot of fellow LGBT people feels nice.

5. Try to start something - brunch on Sundays or a board game club or a hiking group - with the three people you wrote about. A lot of people are shy in taking the initiative but are more than happy to be a part of things!

Good luck :slight_smile:

7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Crazydog

I placed an ad on a dating site for platonic friends two weeks ago. So, far have met three guys for friendship. I was pretty clear I did not want a hookup. These guys have gay and bi friends so I am becoming connected. Tomorrow I got invited to a campout where several dozen gay and bi guys will be hanging out.

This was my wife's idea. At first I thought it was strange to use a sex hookup site...I mean what sort of guys are these? Well, sorta like me I guess...just normal horny men who like to have friends too.