1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting over

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by mnguy, Jul 17, 2016.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This isn't LGBT related, but I've been thinking of asking here since there's a lot of life experience, maybe others here have gone through this and maybe it would be helpful to others too. I've been really unhappy with my job for a long time and I feel like I have to quit. I feel like this job is sucking my soul and contributing to my depression. I've done it too long and I'm burnt out, not to mention they keep adding more and more to the job and I have zero passion for it. I want to do things I enjoy and have a passion for, something creative and where I can work with my hands other than typing and using a mouse all day long.

I read this today and have been reading others on that site as well as a lot of TED talks on this and related ideas which have been kinda helpful, but I still feel stuck most of the time. Turning a Decade Of Grinding Into My Life

I'm looking for anyone to share what they did in a similar situation or maybe others who need help with the same problem. If you quit a job and took time off or maybe took another job in a totally different field or volunteer work, whatever. How did you get the courage to take the leap, how did it turn out? I appreciate any thoughts or stories you have to share. Thank you!!

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you have burnout, which is common. I did go through that for a period of time as well. Once I realized I was burned out, I was able to take some time off to clear my head.

Once my head was cleared, I realized all the great things I enjoyed about my career and I decided to stick with it. I have found the passion again the I had, seemed to have lost, and now have yet again.

3. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This isn't exactly your situation but here's my experience. I always enjoyed my work but not the companies where I worked. In 2010 I quit my job and went freelance. I didn't really have a plan but I had enough of a cash cushion not to worry for several months. I instantly felt better about everything, and soon after the freelance projects started coming in.

So if you quit, make sure you have some cash to tide you over. Consider whether you can still get a job if worst comes to worst. Then go for it and see what happens! Also, ask yourself if the problem is the work itself, or just this particular job?

4. yuanzi

In my department there are a few professors who switched from company jobs to academia after 15+ years. I have also seen professors who decided academia was not for them and either started up their own companies or joined some of the big names out there. The 3rd common scenario I have seen is people who came back to (usually) graduate school to study something completely different because they decided on a new passion and needed related qualifications. The 4th (very rare) scenario is people who started up something completely unrelated to their old job like a small animal shelter etc.

Like others said, you need a safety net if you decide to just up and go. You might want to do a trial period to make sure your new passion is something you actually enjoy doing as a career because sometimes hobbies turn boring quickly if you have to profit from them.

#4 yuanzi, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really can't say much based on my own, personal experience. Except that I'm going through this sort of problem right now. But my situation is much different--I have no formal employment right now, apart from freelance activities that haven't done well in a very long time. :tears: So I am looking at formal jobs. If nothing else, I need the cash flow! But I want to find something that I like...or at least that I don't actively hate, and that leaves me with energy to do other things.

One issue that I have had problems with that may be relevant for you, mnguy, is that there are naysayers out there... I have one my life who has been been really frustrating. And I'm sure he'd say I'm frustrating. He has good qualities, and he does seem to have some concern. But...it seems clear that his vision for me is a lifetime of "enough to pay cheap rent and buy a few groceries." I made the mistake of mentioning that I want something that I like and gives fulfillment, and he immediately went off on the "many people hate their jobs, and why should you be any different?" tangent. To be fair, my case presents some difficult issues. I recognize those. But I don't want to resign myself to a life of nothing but jobs I hate.

I do know someone who made such a jump. She says she's a lot happier, even though income is more of a worry now.

Above, someone suggested the value of a temporary break, but continuing the same line of work. That, too, can be a good choice for some people, but a lot hinges on one's circumstances. If, on some deep level, you always hated your work--or you have reached a point where that work is no longer suitable--a break won't really help long term.

6. NewHaircut

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I did this too, and it was one of the best decisions I made for career, confidence and happiness in my life. After a loooong time freelance, I also got burnout. I'm now taking an extended break in a kind of a self-improvement/self-discovery way of living. Living very frugally, and not sure where I'll end up, but I currently would not trade this for anything!

7. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    so wait was the dude in that blog a millionare?

8. yuanzi

I get that a lot too, mostly from people who are very insecure about their own jobs etc. It irritates them to hear that other people might want to do something that does not make them totally miserable.

I understand that some goals are unrealistic and may lead one to a worse situation but I don't think working at a job you enjoy is one of them.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure this will help...

But I recall reading many years ago Finding Your Life Mission by Naomi Stephan. I don't remember the book that well now...but I do seem to recall the suggestion that it was based on the idea that we have some sort of mission in life, and that we need whatever work we do to aid that mission. There were stories in that book of people with good jobs who were miserably unhappy because they weren't where they needed to be.

10. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never had the courage to change and I deeply regret it. All I have now is a long list of financial obligations that keeps me chained to that keyboard and mouse. Maybe its that we bought into this idea that work/career defines us and is our most important source if fulfillment. ( I envy the guys who see work as a means to an end, not an end.) Technology hasn't been kind to us either. Working a mouse isn't really working with your hands. And the isolation of texting instead of talking, emailing instead of phoning? No wonder so many of us end up with addictions to fill the void of so liitle interpersonal contact.
    Why am I saying this? No to depress you, but to motivate you. Make sure you have the financial freedom to get up and walk away from your cubicle for good. Not that you need a huge savings account. You need to decide to live with less and don't buy things you don't need when money you don't have to impress people who aren't really your friends. It wont happen overnight. But neither will finding your dream job. But having the freedom to chose is priceless. Good luck man!

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My husband hit a point where he wasn't really happy with his job or just life in general. He decided that Oklahoma just wasn't gong to cut it so one day he quit his job, pulled together enough money for gas and drove off to Chicago in search of life and love. He picked Chicago because it was the only big city he'd ever been to--he once visited here for a couple months on a dance scholarship. It wasn't perhaps the best plan, but I'm sure glad he did it. We met about six months after he moved here.:icon_wink

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for all the great replies and stories! I'll hit a few points that your replies made me think about. This job used to be fine for about the first 8-10 years, the pay was good, I enjoyed my coworkers (still do) and it was all fine. Then the company started really cheaping out on staff, even though they make shit loads of money. More responsibilities have been added, our systems run like shit and I don't have any interest or passion for the work. My job is not something I enjoy sharing with others the way I do my hobbies/interests. It actually drains me and I think contributes to my depression. I can't figure out why I keep subjecting myself to it.

13. nerdbrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like the real issue is this particular company -- not the work itself.

A simple, not too disruptive solution would be to find a similar job at another company. These days, being in a job for over 10 years is extremely unusual. It sounds like it's time for a change.

Glassdoor[dot]com is a great resource for getting a sense of companies and salaries in your area.

14. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a decent safety net, no debt and could get a job of some kind if needed. I'm physically fit and have a long, reliable work history. I feel very run down and lost interest in things I used to like so it's hard to think about the future, but I do feel better when I’m away from work for a few days. I need to use up some vacation so I’ll get a break pretty soon and see how I feel with more time away.

I have very deep regrets about not knowing I was gay sooner and all that so I don't want that to happen with this part of my life. I was talking with a friend about wishing I could go back in time with the knowledge I have today, and she said all we can do is use that knowledge to change things going forward. This could be a good time to use that advice.

Doing this job at another company might be better, but I still wouldn't be excited about it, at least not right now. I feel like I need more freedom and creativity. The idea of losing interest in a hobby if I'm doing it everyday has crossed my mind. On the other hand in one of the TED talks the person said one passion lead to another, to connections where they found meaningful work and that's what I hope would happen if I have time for doing what I'm into and not getting dragged down by my job. I dunno, I'm all over the place on this. Do you think a therapist could help me sort this out or would it be some other profession to help me with this? Thanks again, everyone!

---------- Post added 19th Jul 2016 at 09:45 PM ----------

Here's a TEDx talk that inspires me... and the adorable guy makes for easy watching :icon_wink
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9gh1FpoZqI&spfreload=1