1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting to feel okay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by lmnop, Jul 17, 2016.

1. lmnop

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's been about three months since I accepted that I am a lesbian, at the age of twenty six. As of right now, I'm out to four family members and a few friends. I am not out to my parents, yet. I have had almost no contact with them for the last year *side note -- accepting myself was made possible only after I stopped contact with my parents*. All that coming out stuff aside, I feel a lot better. The first couple months were very tough. I'd ended the three year relationship with my boyfriend and had to figure out what to do about my living situation. Thankfully, my ex has been the most supportive person, and I still have a best friend and roommate.

I had days where I questioned if I'd made it all up and constantly worried about my past attractions, but I've realized that it was my anxiety and depression. Since that realization, I've focused on fixing my anxiety and being patient with myself. My depression still needs work, but I've come a long way with that as well. In the last month, my fears have subsided and the intrusive thoughts have waned. I feel good. I still have moments of doubt and that little bit of fear, but every day seems to get a little better. I'm amazed at how far I've come. I haven't been with a woman, but I am looking forward to dating and being with a woman.

This site has been a great tool for exploring my feelings and finding acceptance. Thanks. (!)

2. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad to hear you're moving forward and getting more comfortable.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great to read a positive post. Congratulations on your progress. :slight_smile:

4. Landgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I second that. Well done, Imnop.