1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making connections

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RosePetals76, Jul 19, 2016.

1. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today I reached out to someone that I've known for a while, though not well, as I realized recently that she's a lesbian and I never noticed before. With my social anxiety reaching out to people is hard. We Facebook messaged about some groups in the area that have a lot of LGBT people in them, giving me a few ideas of where I might meet some new friends and make more connections. I'm not sure that I can get past my anxiety enough to go join one of those groups quite yet, but I'm working on it.

Meanwhile, I've been chatting with a few people that I met on a dating site, while just looking for friends. So, as I looked at my phone today, I noticed I have chatted with 3 lesbians as friends and the woman I've been kind of dating lately (she's pan). Plus, I got messages from 3 people on the dating site (though 2 were hook up offers I really don't want). It made me feel like I'm starting to make some connections in the community and establish my new sense of a more true self. I still feel quite alone in lesbian land, but things do seem to be looking up a bit. (&&&)

2. Lindsey23

Wow, that's really great! I've been thinking about joining a dating website as a way to make friends... Maybe I'll try it. It sounds like you're doing well!

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear you feel things are looking up! :slight_smile: Are you anxious about meeting new groups of people in general? I am. Never been brave enough to go to any groups where I don't know anyone.

4. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I get anxious in any group setting.

5. trisb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad to hear that you are making connections. I tried attending some LGBT meetups. But I find myself always backing out last minute, despite the fact that I was actually looking forward to going and meeting people.

Maybe it's because of my introversion. Also if I am alone without friends tagging along, the resistance is quite strong.

6. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trisb, that's exactly how I feel. Connecting one on one has been so much easier for me than attempting a group.

7. trisb

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    RosePetals76, I connect better one on one too. I liked and used online dating a lot till I was trolled some time ago. Now I am very skeptical about online dating. That is a bummer and rather unfortunate because I had good in-depth conversations with a few women online and even met up with them. Now with the online avenue gone, I am relying on offline meetups which are a challenge to me socially.

8. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today, I am getting annoyed with the online dating thing. I switched it to looking for friends and have had 3 requests to be a 3rd in 24 hours. Um, that's not friends to me. And beyond, my profile says no hook ups or 3rds right on it. Ugh.