1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you think about your sexuality?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Currently, it feels like it's constantly on my mind. Whenever I get a moment to myself, my mind just starts going over it again and again. Whenever I'm out somewhere, I'm thinking about what I would be like to do whatever it is that I'm doing (i.e. walking to town, at the park, shopping, etc.) with a female partner.

Is this normal, or am I losing my mind?

I'd like to think about it less, go back to pre-questioning. Sometimes I feel happy, and sometimes I feel on the verge of tears. My normal response to strong emotions is to shut them away, or at least try to. That's what I really, really want to do now. Though, I know I probably shouldn't.

Basically I want to put questioning on hold. Completely forget about it for a few months. Is that possible?

2. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, yes! I totally resonate with your post.

I feel like over the last 3 or 4 weeks, I am able to at least think about work more, whereas in like April and May I really couldn't. Got into risk of getting fired territory. But, yeah. During most of my down time or neutral time, I think about it a LOT.

I think over time this will get to be less and more manageable, just like a regular part of life.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. :slight_smile: Glad I'm not the only one. And good to hear that you can think about work more.

4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here, and with a similar time frame too. In April and May I couldn't even sleep because of it. :lol: But now it is quite manageable and I am beginning to feel almost back to normal.

5. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think about it a lot. Like Katchoo, it was pretty bad for a while to the point where I was less than productive at work. It's getting better though. I still think about it, but it's not always a lingering thing. If I'm sitting around doing nothing, or something that doesn't require a ton of concentration, I'll tend to think deeper about it. But if I'm at work, or doing something that requires more attention, it'll mostly be a fleeting thought. Like just a reminder "Hey, your bi" or something like that every once in a while.

I can definitely see it getting better over time. I certainly think about it less, overall, than I did a few months ago...

#5 BrookeVL, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  6. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a typical part of the process of accepting yourself and coming out. It's on my mind quite a bit still, but not as obsessively as it was 6 weeks ago. The more comfortable I come to be with myself, the less I think about it. Still quite a bit right now, though.

7. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this is what all of us who have responded are noticing/experiencing.

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There does seem to be a trend emerging. :slight_smile: Thanks all.

9. Eab91

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just came out and I feel like it's all I can think about.

10. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out. :slight_smile: There's a lot to think about.

11. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a year of hell, and eventually horrible two months before I finally admitted I like men to myself.

12. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rarely. I have sexual thoughts but am rarely consciously thinking about the very fact that I'm gay.

13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. So you didn't have a period of questioning? Didn't go around and around in circles?

14. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I am doing just regular things, and there is a little voice in my head just labeling the activities as lesbian. Lesbian cookie baking. Gay toilet cleaning. Bedtime routine, as performed by a gay person. Lesbian teeth brushing. The way that a lesbian loads the dishwasher. I'm gayly doing my gay documentation for work. This is a lesbian house.

And sometimes the homophobic voice in my head chimes in, too, like imagining people outside my life looking in. Sneering, "There's that *lesbian* house. Disgusting." I know there is no one actually standing in front of my house disgusted at my orientation. Makes me sad that voice is in my head, though.

15. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This made me smile. :slight_smile:

This didn't. (*hug*) Hopefully it will go away in time. Have you found that it's lessened over time? Or since you came out?

16. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, given that the homophobic voice saying who I am is wrong was so loud echoing in the closet for years, I consider it progress that it's a little voice, almost , like it's outside rather than right by my ear. But, it seems wise to be aware that it's still hanging around. I'd rather notice it and call it out than pretend it isn't there.

17. Teach1

Teach1 Guest

As I have been coming out, it is on my mind constantly, and not just the temptations and attractions I always have had. I think it is all in part with being comfortable with being a gay man.

18. WanderingMind

I think it's totally normal... it echoes my experience, for sure!

I didn't find it possible to stuff the feelings back into the void. Once they were here, they were here. I remember being really afraid of what would happen if I let myself experience the attractions and feelings I was having... I made quite a few efforts to squish them down, but that ended up hurting just as much or more than actually letting myself experience them.

The more I've let emotions/attractions/acceptance in, the less they hurt. However, the knowledge that I'm bisexual is still pretty much constantly on my mind.

This is sooo how it goes for me sometimes... it's lessening, but when I first came out to myself, I did EVERYTHING bisexually. Haha. Bisexual vacuuming. Bisexual dinner preparation. Bisexual driving. Most of the time, these chores included crying. I'm *still* quite aware of being bisexual---way more than I remember focusing on my orientation before I came out to myself---but the tears have subsided and it feels more natural. Someone once joked on here when I brought this up by asking if bisexual vacuuming involved a lot of glitter. I've got to say, life feels a lot more glittery now than it did then.

I'm sorry you have to deal with those voices, Katchoo. I did, too. Thankfully, this has gone away (mostly). Therapy really helped. What helped most was having people to talk to who understood what I was going through, and support from people I love. And, EC. Anyway, I hope you continue to find support and help so that this voice you hear goes away!(*hug*)

#18 WanderingMind, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  19. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am this way too. and I know it's just an expression but I do feel if I keep going back and forth and feeling these strong emotions is that I'll become unstable. Literally at one point I started shaking and had to sit down. The first time I typed 'I am gay' here my hands were shaking.

I really feel I have to 'decide' and work with that decision.

That's what I wanted to do as well. Occupy my mind with something else and come back to it.

20. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally relate to this. When I get time to myself I am thinking about it. Im doing a lot of questioning right now though so I think it's normal. Since I've identified as Bi since I was 18 I've definetly went through periods of thinking about it a lot and sometimes not so much. And definetly periods of feeling more gay.