1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can you know it's not just 'forbidden fruit syndrome'?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, Jul 25, 2016.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do I know my fantasies and thoughts about women aren't just out of novelty? Or that they're so appealing because I've never experienced the reality?

Or can you not know? And would it be enough to put anyone off the opposite-sex?

When I'm out and about, and a guy is a bit flirty, it's nice and helps with post-baby worries, etc. But I mostly feel awkward and want them to stop. I've always felt this way. Never felt a strong (mostly any) desire to take it any further. Never envision myself kissing them or anything. When I try to imaging myself having sex with them, I can't feel or see myself having any passion for it. It's just 'meh'. But, am I just convincing myself of this? I see a future with men as quite boring, where as a future with women seems exciting, but again, is that the novelty of it?

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just know. I have never slept with another woman but I have kissed a few and had tons of crushes (a ridiculous amount now that I think back on it), also I proposed to a girl in kindergarten and asked her to wait for me until we grow up and can get married and have children. :lol: She said no. :frowning2:

Everything in my past says I am really gay. I never had any genuine interest in boys or men, I just tried to fit into that box because it was expected of me, and it probably did not help that my mom who I have always been very close to was really homophobic and said she would never accept it. She is coming around now though. :slight_smile:

I also like it when guys get flirty as long as they are appropriate about it because, hey, who doesn't like to feel desired? :slight_smile: I flirt with girls too because even if they are straight I assume they will take it as a compliment, and so far that is exactly what has happened.

I really don't think it is a novelty thing, I mean I am someone who loves novelty and new experiences and get bored super easily, but no matter how novel it would be to have sex with a man on a beach I would never want that. A woman on the other hand... :lol: Still, even if it was only a novelty thing for you I really don't think it can put you off the opposite sex. So did you ever actually like men in the first place, physically speaking? Or was it more about the idea of being with one?

If I may be perfectly honest here: I don't usually do this because no one can tell anyone else who they are and I am probably biased, but from all your posts and our discussions so far, you just sound really gay to me...

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh no! Clearly didn't deserve you. :slight_smile:

Glad your mum is coming around. That must have been really hard.

I can remember at about the age of 13 or 14, I was getting a immunisation jab and nurse told me to imagine my favourite boy band member was coming through the door. I was into rap and hip hop at the time, so said Eminem. Afterwards my mum said she was surprised I'd be into that sort of man. I didn't release that was the question, I thought it was about music! Completely lost on me.

That's interesting to know. :slight_smile:

Physically speaking, not really no. My first crush was because the guy had red hair, but I was only about seven, so probably doesn't count. :icon_bigg Next three crushes were on guys at school, and I'd gotten to know each one a bit before developing a crush. Two of them asked me out, but I said no because the idea terrified me. Didn't even imagine kissing them or anything, just felt anxious about the prospect. Maybe two or three more crushes in my late teens, but again didn't dream about kissing them or anything. One of them I did like on sight, but I can't even remember his name now. Very late teens into early twenties, had a crush on a woman that I was almost aware of, and did fantasize about her. Early twenties had a crush on another guy, but even whilst straight, knew it was just the idea. I wouldn't have acted on it at all, never really wanted to. So, mostly probably was just the idea.

No major crushes on celebrities, except Colin Firth as Mr Darcy. I love Pride and Prejudice. :slight_smile: I wouldn't want him for myself because he belongs with Elizabeth, but I love the story, regency society, the clothes, etc.

#3 LostInDaydreams, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  4. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ho notmyname

Quote 'How do I know my fantasies and thoughts about women aren't just out of novelty? Or that they're so appealing because I've never experienced the reality?

Yes ! I lived saying this for all my adult life until age 42 and then bam I woke up to the reality 'I am a gay women'

Yrs of relationships with men - never 'feeling the sex , the emotional connection , hating men looking at me , blocking out my desire for women , putting it down to 'fantasy'

I don't know the answer for you ,, I've read a lot of women Fantasie about other women - some carry it through and then regret it
    Thing is when I was in my 20s I had drunken nights with women and would feel bad the next day . I now know this was to do with a societal attitude is taken on rather than my own... And also to do with it being a one night stand

Maybe the fact u are questioning and on a gay forum indicates something deeper for you ....

What excites you about a more serious relationship with another women ?

5. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NotMyName, for me it wasn't forbidden. When all options were open, and it's the only one I wanted.

6. sabrinaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have any advice, but I can totally relate.

I also get bored at the thought of being with men. The thought seems nice because it is safe, but not exiting at all. I do enjoy flirting with guys, but if it goes any farther than that like they want my number or even try to touch me I get really uncomfortable and lots of anxiety. If I do give him my number I am just freaking out trying to figure out how to get out of it. For that reason I have still not ever had a boyfriend.

I have also never been with a woman. When thinking about women it does seem super exiting and not at all boring. I also fear that maybe I desire women because it is seen as different and kind of wrong in this hetoeronormative society. It just goes against the norm. But yeah I am so scared that once I get the chance to be with a woman I will not like it and this is all just in my head and I am just into the fantasy. It is terrifying because if I am not super crazy about men and the desire to be with a woman is just a fantasy then I will not know what to do.

One thing I struggle with though is even thought I see it as boring,marring a man is what feels most "safe" and thinking about marring a woman makes me scared because I am afraid of how I will be seen. So I am not even sure how I am feeling about anything. My shame of liking women is what leads me to believe it is not just novelty. I think it is a little bit of internalized homophobia I am struggling with on top of that I also just can't seem to believe that this is even real.

7. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi ConsciousRose,

Thank you for your reply. That's a good question. I hope there'll be a better connection, more of a partnership, that it won't feel just for show. To be able to talk about anything, that sex will be worth bothering with, that I'll actual want it, rather than thinking it's been three days we probably should do it again, and so on.

Thanks, RosePetals. That's a good way of thinking about it. I suppose for me it's forbidden in the sense that I feel as a woman, I shouldn't be thinking about women that way. I know that there are bi and gay women, but I can't quite get my head around it. I only think about being with women, and that's the only option I want to think about.

Badwolf, I can relate to all of your post. I could've written it. I can relate to your anxiety. With my current partner, I just thought that I might as well get it over with. We get on well, but for me there's never been any sexual attraction. I've always had a slight awareness that he feels something for me that I don't feel for him, but never looked into it.

I share all your concerns. Having been in a long term relationship with a man, and being as connected as I feel we could have been at points, I don't know what I'll do if I don't enjoy the reality of being with a women. I'll be single forever, I suppose.

I struggle to relate my feelings towards women to reality too. I really struggle with it. I know what you mean about men being the safe option. It's what everyone expects. For me, it feels false though, there's no depth to it for the most part. We have a daughter, and there's a warmness to our family moments, but that's it.

8. bright skies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to the whole forbidden fruit thing. I have always fantasized about women and been really curious, I've been in a straight relationship all my adult life and assumed I would be with this man forever. In the beginning I couldn't keep my hands off him but that quickly subsided and I thought that it was normal to not really be interested in sex after a while, conversations with some of my friends tell me otherwise. Anyway I'd never really had a crush on a woman, maybe one or two but not intense like I had on men crushes.

Then I met her, the first day I met her I'd never felt so happy to meet anybody for the first time in my life. She turned out to be an out and proud gay woman which captivated me further. We became good friends, flirted and spoke first thing in morning and last thing at night she filled my thoughts. I gave in to my desire and we kissed and it felt right and normal, I desire her more than I've desired anyone. My questioning myself has always been is it all because I'm not supposed to love her and desire her because I'm practically married? Take that all away and say we got together and were open about it would I still feel the same? She makes my tummy somersault but I've never crushed on another woman like this let alone be head over heels in love with one so is she a one off?

I've just split from my partner but I'm not sure if it's what I really want, he won't let me go without a fight and everyday he's asking me not to do this to us. Things are not quite right with us and haven't been for years but I feel safe and I also love our family time.

Feelings are so hard aren't they? If being gay was fully accepted and considered nothing other than normal by everyone I think our soul searching would be much easier.

9. dirtyshirt84

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think if you have sexual fantasies about women, if you masturbate thinking about women, if women's bodies turn you on, if you look twice in the street at a beautiful women, if you imagine being romantic with a women, holding hands etc then you are probably not straight. I do all these things, and I'm definetly not straight :slight_smile:

I guess it's maybe easier for me in that I had a relationship with a women (although a long time ago now), I've never questioned if the attraction is genuine. It must be tough. I think there is an element of the 'forbidden fruit' for me too, but I know it's much more than that.

10. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think about this all the time. is it just a fantasy, novelty seeking. am i just here for attention? Sometimes I feel bad because I feel I am wasting everyone's time here.. because today it doesn't feel so real.

on the other hand, a lot of people talk about the 'roller coaster' of coming to the realization ..

11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm probably not straight then. :slight_smile: