1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Wonder: was sex used by evolving humans to deal with rigors of daily life?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Jul 26, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I Wonder" a mini series of questions / theories posted for comment(s) and reflection(s).

I wonder if sex was used by evolving humans in Africa to help deal with the rigors of daily life? Our ancestors didn't have drugs and alcohol, so “something” was needed to provide a much needed escape.

Comments? .

Part of this question comes from material in the book, Sex and Dawn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_at_Dawn

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not my time period. :slight_smile:

But, possibly certain herbs would have been associated with 'highs'? Or stress relief?

Knowledge could have been passed from one generation to the next.

Too late, I know, but :

https://recipesandmedicineinearlymodernengland.wordpress.com/

From the above blog:

"Licorice root, lavender, and St. John’s Wart have all been herbs known to help reduce stress and anxiety for a person."

This sort of knowledge would have originated in oral tradition.

3. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's an interesting question, but I think recreational sex(as we know it) is a product of our environment, with the advent of society and a simplified life, we have free time and in that free time we started to develop art, culture, music, etc. I would think that back then they would be too concerned with survival, not being eaten for example to even think of sex as a form of pleasure. Now I'm sure some stray males would try to have there way with unprotected females as in the animal kingdom now but even that is basically for procreation.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When mankind adopted agriculture as the main form of sustenance, a whole host of societal changes came with it, including the imposition of monogamy. Most major religions, i.e. the ones that have tended to spread beyond the small hunter-gatherer groups mentioned in this book have appeared with the appearance of agriculture. One could speculate that questions of inheritance, status and succession have required the monogamous framework (most hunter-gatherer tribes were egalitarian).

I don't think the book argues that sex was a way to diminish stress or to serve as a kind of substitute for addictive behaviours, to the contrary, sex was enjoyed in order to strengthen tribal ties and perhaps to bring newcomers into the tribe as well.

I am reminded of the well-reported sharing of wives in Inuit culture, for them, it was a way of sharing something intimate and pleasurable. As for needing something to deal with the rigors of daily life, here is an interesting insight from an old article that was incredibly interesting with regard to agriculture:

The article argues, quite profoundly, that the rigors of life were made much harsher with the adoption of agriculture...

5. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is plenty of evidence that humans have always used drugs, including alcohol. Psilocybin mushrooms, DMT containing plants, nicotine, coca leaves, cannabis and especially opium have been used throughout history in their native areas. Sex was almost certainly also part of their pleasures, would be strange to think it wasn't. I bet they even had some version of rock'n'roll. :wink:

Terence McKenna had some interesting theories on our ancestors and drugs, but I don't think there is a lot of evidence to back his theories. He was a very entertaining guy though and it is worth a read. :lol:

6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But, "free time" for the vast majority of society is very new. It depends what you mean by your terms. Even when was sex was primarily about procreation and inheritance in the early modern period, it was still about pleasure. It was widely believed that pleasure for both parties was necessary for conception. :icon_bigg Procreation and pleasure can exist together.

#6 LostInDaydreams, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a wonderful response. Thanks.

Correct greatwhale, the book, Sex and Dawn, per my limited recollection, does not imply sex was used as a substitute for alcohol and drugs.

Will write more after others have had time to respond.

8. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this. Also life has become anything but simplified, it is more complicated than ever as greatwhale pointed out earlier. As a child I spent some of my summer weeks on an island several tens of miles from any civilization. My great grandmother lived there and she lived on fishing and other very basic things, she did farm potatoes for herself but it was not exactly modern agriculture. :lol: We worked like 2 hours every day at most to get our food and the rest was leisure time, compare that to working 8 hours a day with 2 hours wasted on just the commute.

#8 HappyGirlLucky, Jul 26, 2016
  9. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not totally related, but I found it interesting. There's evidence to show that sleep used to be broken into two periods. People often had sex in the middle of these sleeps. BBC article on it here: The myth of the eight-hour sleep - BBC News

#9 LostInDaydreams, Jul 26, 2016
  10. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So that is why I always wake up in the middle of the night! This happens frequently to me, and I vote for sex during that time to become a thing again. :lol:

11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like a plan! :slight_smile:

Also, society, culture, art, etc. have been known to exist for a very long time. Google prehistoric art. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's not there, and just because there's no evidence, it doesn't mean it's not there.

Please don't dumb down earlier societies, or make assumptions. It's not fair. It's not good history.

#11 LostInDaydreams, Jul 26, 2016
  12. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was a quick response to an interesting question before I headed out for work, will have to have a better read, if I have time tonight when I get home.

And I wasn't "dumbing down" earlier societies, I could have just as easily said "Vacuming, playing cards or networking" or anything for that matter that we have now that evolving humans didn't have back in Africa. And actually if we're talking about that time period almost everything we know about there lives is an assumption. Educated guesses even.

#12 Stewie, Jul 26, 2016
  13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Stewie. Sorry I misunderstood your meaning. By assumption, I meant drawing a conclusion without a detailed analysis of all sides of the argument, without research, considering the alternative, etc. So, more that I couldn't agree with your post based on the information provided. Sorry, again. I hope I've not upset or offended you. That wasn't my intention. I appreciate my post wasn't well worded. But, I'll look forward to your post later! Is it period you've studied before?

#13 LostInDaydreams, Jul 26, 2016