1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wonder: I wonder if LGBT teen brains are tarnished because of homophobia.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by brainwashed, Jul 27, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder, is a mini series of thought provocative questions to stir lively debate.

Disclaimer: I know absolute nothing about LGBT brain development. It would be fun to web research this.

The question. Do you think its possible for LGBT teen's brains, who are subjected to caustic homophobia, to not develop fully?

An article on teen brain development.
    Scans reveal how teenage brain develops - BBC News

2. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well this is about schizophrenia... I'm not sure you can say we're all more schizophrenic because of bad adolescences. I feel like a stunted 18 year old though because i have little to no teenage experience having spent a lot of time in a school where I had no friends. like i've experienced parties, love, jealousy, alcohol, kissing, having a large group of friends and having to navigate that socially, actually doing work, developing my identity, style, trying and failing to come out, everything in about 1 year. and that's again a whole extra bit of stress on top of the anxiety caused by years alone because it should not all be done that quickly! Don't think I'm schizophrenic though haha. I have however, lost the ability to cry and had some depressive months.

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate to what SHACH says about stunted development, in the sense that I didn't have my first date, first kiss, etc. until I was in my 20s, so missed out on some typical teenage experiences. The thought of doing anything with guy made me anxious, but by my early 20s I figured I might as well get it over with. In that sense I was probably behind my peers who had more experience in relationships, etc.

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No, I don't think so... Otherwise the majority of many countries (where caustic homophobia is the daily bread and butter) would not be capable of half of what they are capable of, be it on arts, mathematics...

The mass of the brain, or how it looks like has little to do with the complexity behind the whole connectome. True that any amount of stress has negative consequences on development, but the brain is different to every other organ in the sense that it is capable of stablishing and rewiring itself through all your life, and you'll find proof of this everywhere. If you don't see more proof of it, the root cause is the effects of social conditioning, not the capabilities of the brain.

... Which means once you remove the cause of stress, the affected organism will slowly try to recover itself, because of human resilience, which is caused by the insctinct to survive (of course this theory is very controversial, but it is there and has been proven)

I give little credit to all theories that claim 'brain development' (we perhaps mean the expanding of intelligence, reflected on learning new skills) must only take place between the ages of X and X, but that is another highly controversial theory. It might take longer for an older brain, but it is as capable of getting there as a younger brain.

#4 Michael, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2016
  5. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I failed to clarify that the article was not spot on to my question. Since this is a new area for me and I know nothing about this subject matter, I used the article as a starting point.

Wow great replies. Thanks. Great debate.

#5 brainwashed, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Other than high stress, low memory and constant paranoia I'd say mine works fine... No schizophrenia or anything.

I've got to wonder how it feels to have none of that though, it must be nice. If I could actually calmly sit down and think clearly for a while my ideas would be so much more vivid and complete and I'd likely be a better artist because of it.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thinking about the post for a restful 24 hours, I'm going to go out on a limb and say there might be something to the post. Brain development in mid to late teens MAY be tarnished by lack of tuned human interaction. Tuned means interactions per a person innate sexuality.

Definitely more research needed.

I do agree the brain is resilient and MAY mend itself if indeed it is lacking connectivity.

The schizophrenia article shows mid to late teen brain is a time when connectivity development occurs. This is the reason I referenced the article.