1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Lesbian Date at 40

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Confusedhappy, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, will try and keep this short but advice needed please, sorry if I've missed a thread on this already but I checked and couldn't find one.

I am 40 but not 100% sure about where I fit on the sexuality line. Until now, I've only had relationships with men, they've been grand but haven't set my world on fire. I've always been attracted to women though, since my teenage years. The teachers and lecturers I liked and admired most, I guess you could say I had a crush on, it was more than just liked, were all women. I've had crushes on female friends but kind of put it down to just liking them a lot and enjoying spending time with them. Although I've never acted on it I think I've always known I'm attracted to women. It wasn't shame or anything that kept me from doing so, if I'm honest I don't know why. Anyway, in the last few months I've thought a lot about it and decided I want to date women, see how it goes and if I've just been the slowest learner ever at being in touch with my feelings! What I can say is that I am incredibly happy since I've decided to do this, like a permanent grin on my face, and I am really excited about what could happen. And to me that can only be a good sign.

I don't know the gay scene where I live very well but I'm about to head out on my first lesbian date, we met online a couple of weeks ago. And now my question: I want to tell the woman exactly where I'm at, I don't want to act like I've lived a gay life all my life when I haven't and it would feel false. We've just been in touch through an online site and kind of hit it off enough to go for a coffee. Should I wait to tell her in person or explain before and give her the chance to tell me no if it makes her uncomfortable? I don't want her to feel like she's been used so that I can work out my sexuality. My instinct tells me this is the right thing to do. Am I right or blowing this out of proportion?

If I've been way out of line in not bringing this up with the woman before now, tell me please and I'll make amends. Thanks for any advice.

2. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most women that care will ask. It might be good to talk about in person, especially before you have sex for the first time, of you get that far. Women have asked me before. Others haven't. I usually end up asking them out of my own curiosity if they don't ask me, but I'll date them either way.

3. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi confused happy
    Thank you for sharing ...
    I'm 43 and came out recently ... I get the grin on the face ... Me too I love who I am now

Hey it's only coffee ... Your not commiting to anything
    I get where u are coming from in terms of honesty but it's a big arena out there and it's all new ...
    I'd take it as its your first chance to dip a toe and part of that is the relating and getting to know who we are and who someone else is ....
    When it's a right interaction it will be just that and if it isn't well the experience is just as valid ....

4. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi there,

Thanks a million for the advice, really makes sense. I guess I was worried that I'm entering a new world that I don't know very well and didn't want to make a huge faux pas on my first go. That said, I would never have considered revealing my sexual history over coffee before so no reason why this should change now. Very glad to have a steer though, thank you.

About the permanent grin: it's a bizarrely wonderful feeling, like you've just opened a door to a whole new world of possibilities, you kinda knew the door was there before but you never pushed through. From life, and reading threads here, I know that's not everyone's experience so I feel lucky. I'm not naïve about relationships or think that this is necessarily going to be a fairytale ending but for now I'm just enjoying how great it feels, long may it continue!

5. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Confusedhappy, enjoy that permanent grin feeling. After I first started dating women I had if for quite a while, too. I miss it. I want it back. Mine disappeared after my heart got broken, but I'm sure if I find the right person, my giddy self will return.

6. afgirl

Is it ridiculous to say I didn't know I was on my first lesbian date when it happened? I guess I kind of do everything a bit out of cycle, but yes it was lovely. Don't stress so much. If I could go back to those first days, I wouldn't stress over the things I did, and it all would have been a little sweeter. Hope everything is good.

7. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't quite got to 40 yet (but it's fast approaching). I know that when I'm smiling as I get ready for a date it will be a good one. I was in my late 20's when I had my first lesbian date. I was scared rigid. I didn't know what I wanted or what I was scared of but I knew I was scared. It seems so natural now but it takes a while to get that way. Talking is good. Listening is better. Two people together is the most natural thing on Earth. Remember that and you'll be fine.

8. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks all, it's a nice feeling to know that I can come here and hear your thoughts knowing that you've been through or are going through similar experiences. I guess I've reached a stage in my life where I feel content, I'm happy, relaxed and take things in my stride. Waking up to realising how I feel about women should possibly scare the hell out of me but it hasn't. I'm sure the nerves will kick in and I'll go through ups and downs as I explore this part of me but right now I'm just completely open to it and excited.

RosePetals, mind that heart and I hope you find that groove again soon.

9. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, ConfusedHappy. I'm trying.

I understand what you're saying about how it should scare you, but it doesn't. I wasn't really scared, either. After I came out and then got dumped I started to get down and felt so alone. Now I realize it's just that I've never felt lonely before because I never had something I enjoyed enough to miss before. Now I'm more at a point where I just want to look forward to the next time I get to feel that. I know it'll happen some day, now that I know what I really want and enjoy. I'll meet her eventually.

10. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi confused happy

I feel the same , have just entered a new world and life has opened up ... I went to gay kareoke at a community centre on Friday and it was really nice and fun .... I used to 'hate' guys staring at me and now I know why ...
    When I was there I felt a really nice connection to the men and women I felt safe and free

Wishing u all the best on your coffee date

11. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, yeah. I've always been that way. My friend shared this pic with me because it's SO me!
    [​IMG]

12. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey all,

So I didn't have that first coffee date until about three weeks ago, had another one last week and this week we're having dinner in her place. I'm still very excited by everything, everything is very new, nothing has happened yet, we've hugged but we'll see how things go at her house, some expectations of something, a kiss, maybe more but not sure. Anyway, I haven't lost that permanent grin yet, I'm happier than ever. From reading posts here I am mindful of being careful about rushing or allowing myself to think this is love, with singing birds fluttering around my head and cherubs appearing out of nowhere, but it is a lovely feeling to have taken that decision to push forward and to feel pure happiness.

Hope you guys are all doing well.

13. Blonde Explorer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Meet her for coffee. As the conversation progresses you both can reveal more about yourself to one another. Be honest. I think you should get to know each other well before heading off to a bedroom. Your first time is special so make it special. Best of luck!

14. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey Blonde Explorer, thanks, sound advice, I think I might have given the wrong impression - when I said expectations of 'a kiss and maybe more' - I meant a cuddle. I'm not rushing anywhere just yet. We've been in touch for over two months, first month by email, then we met twice for coffee and have texted quite a lot over the last month. I'm taking this easy, trying not to get caught up in the feeling of 'this is what I should have been doing all along' but enjoying that feeling at the same time. We haven't had any conversations about our previous relationships or history yet but I'd never lead her astray on that. I'm hoping I'll know when the right time to let her know that this is all new to me will come up and I'll be completely honest.

15. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take it at a pace that is comfortable for the both of you. Only you two will know what that is. The first 2 women I dated, slow was good. The woman I'm with now, I'm sure is the love of my life. In just 2 months I've fallen head over heels and am planning my future.

16. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good for you Rosepetals, lovely to hear that. Taking it at our own pace, not long after a third date. It was lovely, nothing more than a hug, seemed like the appropriate time for a kiss when we were parting but I bottled it. It's okay though, still enjoyed hanging out with her. A lot.

17. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Question for you: so I met with someone for the third time, two coffees and once in her home for a take out (as above). It felt like we should kiss good-night when I was leaving. I'm naturally shy and also never been in this situation before with a woman (which she doesn't know), but we stood awkwardly talking in her hall by the door for about five minutes before I left. What if she's shy too? Do you just go for it when your gut says go for it? Even as I ask this teenage like question (sorry) I know the answer. I'm a wear your heart on your sleeve kind of person - she's not, that much I know, but I like her, and she likes me - you don't invite someone into your home if you don't like them, do you? I'm an idiot.

18. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're not an idiot. There is no right or wrong answer. You both have to feel it out. Some women are more the take charge, lead things forward people, while others are timid and won't make a first move ever. You will find your comfort level. I was shy at first, but I've found out I enjoy leading.