1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Deep Emotional Bond I was not Expecting, now what...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Friesian, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Friesian

This cute little fireball pursued me for three years – I’ve never rec’d so many ‘love’ notes in the course of my entire life. I love you, I miss you, where are you, thank you with all kinds of hearts and flowers; this was coming from a 30 year old woman. So bubbly and smiling all the time around me, complementing me, etc. I was so taken aback during those years that I really put her in ‘little sister’ zone. She started the whole playful bantering thing and would really zing me at times – she’s fun, playful and totally a cutie :icon_wink I should also add that she is flirtatious with other women, it’s part of her nature.
    Fast forward to now (3 years in) and I realized all the little love notes had stopped, but what was left on her part was this deep attachment to me. She had tried to ‘let me go’ because I missed the cue to ‘move out of the little sister act and into something more nurturing’. And I realized for the first time, I felt something for her! Something more than just ‘ah my little sister’. It was more like, ‘My God those eyes…’ and I felt the need to pull her in closer to me, give her more of my time, effort and care. Since she ‘dumped me’ and we had been moving sideways for a few months, one day I decided to pull way back and see if there was really anything there- not always looking at her or playing with her, coming to talk with her etc., and just treated her like anyone else – to my shock, there was something more there. She grabbed me halfway through the day, tears in her eyes and said ‘what is wrong with you? What are you doing?’ Her expression floored me…We talked for a few minutes and she said she was jealous of my attention and didn’t like me not responding to her. I had NO IDEA she was so attached to me and I felt guilty about it.
    But I did have to test her…she’s unhappily married and a total ‘rescue case’. I think I bought the goods. So at that point – which was 2 months ago – I started treating her more like a girlfriend. Told her I cared for her and loved her (she lit up) and we have been in what I would consider an emotional affair. I don’t think she gets that, but that’s really what it is. She’s always floating around me throughout the day, flirty and open to connecting…emotionally. And that’s the thing – I think she has made it pretty clear to me she is strictly hetero in her sexual preference. I’m kinda sad about this – I would not have sexual relations with her anyway because she is married – to me this is not an option, but that’s my preference. I would never want anyone to cheat on me physically – but here I am in an emotional affair :eusa_doh: I see her everyday, she’s attached to me, I nurture her and she responds in a loving, if not submissive fashion to me. It’s amazing and beautiful. If men only understood how to act masculine in the right ways, they would get the submission from us that they are always whining about. Anyway, I’m addicted to this bond with her. As much as I want to back off to protect my own heart (because if she can’t see me as sexually attractive, there’s not much future whatever she decides to do in her marriage – why? – because even if we had something asexual, I wouldn’t be able to handle it knowing she still could be sexually attracted by a man) I really care about her so my energy is wrapped up in her. I guess there’s no way of telling when someone who is hetero may be open to something more fluid, but I feel I need to relax into this space of actually caring for someone, regardless of what is reciprocated.
    Am I fooling myself that I can keep this from getting toxic? Should I cut the ropes, or instead accept the bond she’s created with me and love her for it? One thing I love seeing is how much better she feels about herself lately and that makes me feel good because I genuinely want her to be happy. But I feel sometimes like I’m enabling her to continue to live an unhappy life by filling in the gaps her husband can’t fill. I think she may be same gender romantic and for some reason, I do it for her. Is this cheating? If I had seen the attachment coming, I wouldn’t have stepped into this position, but it’s to late. I don’t know how to back out and not hurt her (or myself). Any insight on this situation and advice would be most appreciated. I have no one to talk to about it, and being on the inside, subjective perspective, we usually don’t see the whole picture.

2. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since all I can "see" from this perspective is what you write, I'll do my best.... It sounds like you two are emotionally involved to a point that no matter when that ends, it'll suck. The question is whether you want it to suck now or later. Personally, if I didn't have something better to pursue, I'd enjoy it while it lasts. However, is that fair to either of you? Only you can really answer that. I'd say if you think it's enabling a bad marriage, you should talk to her about that and how you worry about her in that marriage. Maybe coming from someone she adores it would help her feel valued enough to move on. Maybe she needs "permission" from someone. The more open you are with each other, the better.

3. Friesian

Thank you RosePetals, I like that you said to just enjoy it for now. It really isn't everyday I have this kind of experience and to me, it is special. If the course of life ended this relationship, then it would be easier to accept, so maybe just enjoying it and not getting serious about the future would be best. As far as enabling a bad marriage, I don't think I'm actively doing that - but more so, she looked outside of her marriage to find something to help her hold on and, voila, there I was and she latched on. We do communicate well, so I could bring this up to her and see where she's coming from.

4. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First of all, it's amazing how much energy, and brave determination she's had with you for these 3 years to constantly show you without fail how special you are..
    I can feel her energy through your words here..

I identify with her since I've been loving and adoring one person for some time, while being married.
    There are key differences: I have not been persistent like your fireball did. It takes guts to give affection constantly to unknown. But she did, and bit by bit it built such a strong bond between you two..

What I don't understand is how she is hetero according to you.
    I realize people are different, but generally, for us females, very strong emotional intimacy can lead to something more.

Questioning my sexuality due to very strong feelings for another female has brought me to this site.
    If she is so strong emotionally about you that she can not be without you I find it so hard to believe she would never want to hold you, kiss you and eventually be intimate.
    I truly don't want to have your hopes up for something that is not there, but I believe anything is possible.

I you love her so much, stay with her, support her, give it more time.
    Having a friend who loves you so much is priceless. She gave you time for whole 3 years, give her time as well.

5. Friesian

Orchidea, wow your words tugged at my heart.She does deserve patience and unconditional time from me, you are right. Thank you for that. Sometimes I can get too focused on what is right and wrong verses just letting love work. I can do this for her since she did it for me and it would not be a difficult thing for me to give. For sure the girl is tenacious and strong willed; she took a lot of empty feedback from me before she withdrew, and still opened back up to me once I finally woke up and saw how precious she is to me. She also knows anybody can change for a day and she's not letting me off easy; but I've hung in there with her; becoming more intimate in our communication has been key.
    I'm not basing my assumption of her orientation on much, but once we were talking in a group and she said she has tried and couldn't imagine being with another woman, made an 'ewww' face and shimmied, haha! She's adorable...anyway, I was happy because, well, she was thinking about it! If you don't mind sharing, were you weirded out at the beginning, when you first realized you were in love with a woman and your thoughts went sexual? What was the process you went through in accepting your feelings for another woman? Did you go through denial?
    I agree completely about the emotional connection because that is how I function in my sexuality - emotional bond first, then sexual. We have hugged a few times, namely during those rough few weeks she was testing me after I had pulled back. We were more affectionate during that time I assume to reinforce the bond that was being pulled like a rubber band, shew, not fun. But though she will not move away when I touch her, and actually leans into my body and my touch, she doesn't really 'go sexual' in her looks, language or touch. She once commented, when I was searching her feelings out about me, that 'I let you play with my hair, what more do you want?!' We both started laughing because honestly, I was clueless! A woman's hair means that much? I totally missed it~
    She can flirt like nobody's business, but it is not sexual in nature, more banter and trying of egos. She shows most signs of being attracted, but she doesn't reach for me, my face or put her hands on me much - every now and then lightly. Other women she can be all over them, (makes me feel needy sometimes when i see that). Like you said, loving her and supporting her is what I will focus on. I'll give her the time she needs to figure out the rest - it won't change how special she has become to me.

6. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Initially i was in total numbing shock and confusion but it took less than a week to start accepting the fact that I may have attraction (strong emotions) for a woman.
    Read my first thread, that is how it happened to me..( Just re-read it myself, kinda cheesy:slight_smile:, I may have grown a lot since then, wow!)

Several months later I stopped to pinch myself to realize I've actually fallen for her, not just casually crushing.
    I did not have denial stage, at least I don't recall. I accepted myself, and even though it was shocking to me, I suffered and loved every bit of it.
    My story is very different, her feelings were not matching mine.. Ive let her be and not pursued her. I've done everything to accept it, but in denial a bit due to the fact that there is no way she doesn't feel for me :icon_wink
    But it is normal for my judgement to be clouded since I've accepted these feelings for her.

Maybe be a bit careful if she is a flirt by nature.
    Her innocent actions can magnify in your mind and heart. Whatever you do, take care of you first.
    You said her marriage is not stable? Is she thinking of leaving at all?
    We all have a picture of an ideal situation we want to end up in when we love someone..

Ask yourself if you can see both of you being close emotional friends with if she stays married?
    In any case, giving this friendship a shot and keeping your eyes open for someone else special is not a bad idea.
    Ok, I hope this is not too confusing..

#6 Orchidea123, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. Friesian

Orchidea, your insight isn't confusing and is on point for where I am right now. Love makes us do funny things, but my heart is not always laughing. This is hard. You're right, it's like we love suffering. Like it's better to suffer than to be bored or numb in our current situations, whatever they may be. At least, that's how I feel. I'm not out, so it's difficult to just go find another woman to date to get my mind less focused on her. You mentioned 'having fallen for her'...so beautiful and so frightening; I think that's where I find myself...I just wonder if my fireball has found herself there? Something tells me I could just be her emotional release valve...who ever falls in love like that? I know it takes a lot to maintain an emotional bond like this, with me and her home life, so her flirting with others isn't much in the grand scheme of things because I'd rather have the emotional satisfaction of knowing her heart, which I do. And I get the flirting too, just not as hands on as I crave. Having a friendship with her while looking elsewhere for companionship is good advice. I need to stop hoping I'll get more time with her. I mean, what am I looking for really? She being married equates to unavailability to share or grow our lives together and this coupled with my own boundaries will get us not very far unless she makes a decision about her life. It's the desire to comfort and rescue her - I need to quit that! But that's exactly how she approaches me. She gets all soft and submissive on me, she's so open and responsive. I can't really let that go right now.