1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outed by wearing rainbow?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by sabrinaa, Aug 1, 2016.

1. sabrinaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just want your opinion on something.

I bought a rainbow bracelet. It is pretty thin, not super obvious. I am just wondering if wearing it in public will out me to straight people? I am not ready to be outed at work or by family, at least not yet.

Is wearing a rainbow bracelet like an obvious sign to the world that someone is gay? Or is it something just other queer people think? I am a little afraid to wear it because I feel like I am wearing a huge sign saying "I AM GAY".

I want to wear it to make myself more comfortable with being queer and possibly attracting some queer people, but I am still not ready to come out and tell everyone.

I don't know, I just bought it as a little test for myself. Something to help me feel kind of part of the LGBTQ+ community and see how comfortable I feel with it. So far, when I am around people I do not know I feel perfectly fine with it, but when I am around people I do know I get REALLY nervous about it.

2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the feeling. I bought my first bi pride bracelet about 3 years before I eventually came out. At first, I wore it only when I was on work travel. Now, it's whenever I feel like it.

The rainbow is a pretty well-understood symbol. They will either think you are LGBT, or at least LGBT-friendly. If you are a well-known Liberal like I am (I have a framed picture of President Obama and his family in my house, LOL), maybe they'll think you're just a supporter.

3. Really

I don't know. My feeling is that most people are pretty clueless unless they are "in the know". Was there a pride festival in your city recently? If so, people might be a bit more clued in but otherwise, I really don't think anyone would guess.

It's possible queer people or true supporters could pick up on it but even then, I bet nobody says anything. At most you might get a smile of recognition.

Does your style run towards wearing multiple wristbands/bracelets? Maybe wearing it in a mix wouldn't be so daunting for you.

I'd say, go for it. Even if it's just Fridays, then Thursday and Friday then ...

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Unfortunately, the only way to be certain you aren't outed by a rainbow bracelet is to not wear it.

However...there is a chance it won't be noticed. Some people have complained, in fact, about wearing a bracelet with the hopes it will be noticed, only to have it never noticed.

I have occasionally worn a PFLAG bracelet over the last 3 years. It's not quite a normal rainbow, but is clearly multicolor. As far as I could tell, only one person recognized what it meant, and only one other person noticed it and asked what it was. (One plus to it being PFLAG item is that I can explain it as a "PFLAG" item, and that I'm wearing it in support of ____.)

5. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wearing a rainbow anklet for over a month, and only other LGBT people have commented on it. I suppose someone could get suspicious, but they might also just think you're an ally.

6. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If someone mentions it you could say
    'Yes it's important to support the gay community '

Then it's the truth but not self revealing :slight_smile:

7. Really

Off topic question:

Do you have a link to what your anklet looks like? I got a bracelet like this one at pride which I would wear around my ankle but I'm not quite ready for that. Maybe soon. I cycle and run a lot so there would be no missing it. :astonished:

Attached Files:

8. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't because I couldn't find one like I wanted, so I made mine. I bought the 6 colors of glass beads and strung it on fishing line with clasps. It's really pretty cute. The beads are 2 different sizes, so they alternate large, small, large, small in rainbow order.

9. Really

Ooh! Sounds nice. :slight_smile:

10. sabrinaa

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I regularly wear multiple wristbands so I've been just hiding it in the mix. I have noticed that once I leave people I know I get the urge to not hide it and pull it out from under the others.

I am glad that I feel good about wearing it, even if it is only around strangers. I feel like I am making progress.

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like others have said, my rainbow stuff has only gotten an occasional reaction, and typically from LGBT folks. There may be the occasional straight person who would notice, but I presume straight people who understand are probably allies.

12. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    who cares dude just wear it...you are who u are no need to hide, if they dont accept u then fuk them....i guess i understand the feeling my bracelet looks just like the one in the pic, i was alittle nervous to wear it around my parents but i stopped givin a shit

---------- Post added 3rd Aug 2016 at 09:43 AM ----------

and this....

13. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I own rainbow fingerless gloves, kneehigh socks, a rainbow belt, and a rainbow bracelet.
    So basically I wrote I AM QUEER on my forehead.

I doubt a little bracelet will be noticed though.

14. Izi

Izi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love wearing my rainbow bracelet. I bought one from ebay, but it was too big, so I made one myself. I made it mostly of 4mm small white beads, but with the rainbow colors in the middle. I was surprised to see that people do notice it. I get some looks and shy smiles while they look away, I love that!! I have not come out yet, actually just accepted that I am bi or lesbian, but this makes me take a tiny little step out and be comfortable with who I am. You should try it and see how you feel, if you donĀ“t feel comfortable, it is maybe not the right time?

15. PaintedSky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a really femme girl, and I own quite the number of rainbow items and accessories. I wear them often, and sometimes try and dress full on rainbow. Still not noticed as a lesbian. One time I had the whole garb on and a dude was hitting on me. I told him, "No thank you." He said, "Is your boyfriend not okay with that?" I said, "I don't like men like that." He still had the gall to say, "You don't look lesbian..." I was like really :dry: So if you're the, "Femme de la Femme" then people may just think you love rainbows a lot. I wear a rainbow necklace and pride ring on another occasion, and a woman stopped at my counter and said, "I love rainbows! I always look for them after storms!" I'm not 100% out yet, but maybe I need a different approach. lol Wish the ladies would notice us super Femmes :icon_wink

16. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My straight brother owns and wears a rainbow "baja Hoodie" its pretty awesome.

17. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wearing a pride bracelet every day for over a year now. Nobody has noticed it (or at least told me they did) except 1 guy who smiled and then showed me his pride jewelry. I pointed it out to one straight friend and he had no idea what it meant.