1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When does the anxiety go away?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, Aug 3, 2016.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I woke up in the middle of the night feeling very anxious, and struggled to calm down and get back to sleep. I think I'd been dreaming about placing my sexuality on a scale between 1 and 8, or something along those lines.

Can anyone relate to this? Is this normal?

When does the anxiety go away? I've got a feeling that it's only going to get worse.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, as you can see I'm feeling a lot lately, but that at this point is due to my recent decisions. The initial anxiety of coming out for me dissipated increasingly until it suddenly was replaced by a lot of happy feelings 6-7 months in. But there were generally highs and lows before that, and certainly the highs were great, and the lows each time were a bit more manageable.

This also came with making steps and taking actions to feel I was moving forward. So part of it is time and getting used to your new normal, while part of it is taking deliberate action.

#2 baristajedi, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, barista. I appreciate there are people on EC who are struggling much more than me, which in terms of taking action, is inspiring and off-putting all at once. I need to clear my head a bit, I think.

You've been a huge source of insight for me, and I hope things improve for you.

4. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine has mostly resolved now, but appears occasionally. Been almost 3 weeks since my last anxiety moment over it. I came out slowly between March and May. So, for me it was just a few months.

5. Blank1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've had terrible anxiety for 4 years now. Mainly due to uncertainty. I'm still unsure or unaccepting. Still trying to figure that part out. It would have been easier had I not had and enjoy opposite sex relationships and partners.