1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to my first gay bar this weekend

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by crazydog15, Aug 4, 2016.

1. crazydog15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is going to happen.

My feelings are all mixed up about it. Excited? Yes. Terrified? Yes. Worried and somewhat uncomfortable? Yes.

I've tried to do my research on where to go; there is a gay club that's nearby, but I've heard that (1) it's really just for dancing and shows, and (2) it's a bit seedy. The next closest place I could find is about 4 1/2 hours away by car, so I'll be needing to make a full weekend trip just to go there.

Anyway, I'll see how this goes!

2. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Very exciting! Good luck my friend. I'm sure it will be the first of many.

3. Justasking100

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You'll probably find it much less scary than you think. You'll feel like everyone's looking at you at first but they won't be, you'll just be another person in a bar. It depends upon the type of bar you go to but you'll normally find the bar staff pretty friendly. Don't worry about it too much just take a deep breath walk in, order a drink and take it all in. Good luck.

4. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Snap CrazyDog! My first gay bar outing this weekend too. Share your feelings, mainly just feeling excitement and a little nervous but genuinely just really looking forward to it. It's, to use another users expression, like dipping my toe in the water. Not really sure what kind of expectations I have, it would be nice to fit in or feel a little like I've come home but I know that might be expecting too much too soon so I'll just go with an open mind and see what happens. Wishing you well on your night out.

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone has had a "going to my first gay bar" experience, including everyone in the place you will be going to. Just remember that as your looking around in bewilderment!

6. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck. My first time in a gay bar was just a few months ago. It helped that I was going to play trivia with guys I already knew from some of our LGBT community center events. I think I'd have been a little nervous initially if I hadn't known anyone, but would still want to do it. I'm now comfortable stopping there alone. I still don't know very many other people, but most of the bartenders and the bar owner now know me well enough that I don't even need to tell them what I want to drink. I noticed it was just like any other bar I've been to, except for what was playing on the TV (a channel called Reel Gay). I now play trivia every week and if I miss a week everyone wants to know why I wasn't there. I've now been to one other gay bar in the area, but this one is someplace I really enjoy going.

7. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Next stop: gay bathhouse!

8. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bath house for sure!