1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I find it really hard to say 'no'. Any tips?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, Aug 6, 2016.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to work on saying 'no' where my partner is concerned.

For example, I've always found it difficult to say no to sex. I think I've always thought that saying no will have a negative impact on our relationship.

In particular, I really, really, really dislike giving him oral, so how do I go about saying no without causing upset (or outing myself)?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just say no, and be blunt about it. A lot of men do better when you are blunt instead of beating around the bush. If he cares about you, he should respect you, and if not you need to get out of there fast.

3. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Loli21.

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unless he is a loser or a douche, he should be aware of the fact you don't really enjoy going down on him. It is not hard to tell if someone isn't into something when it gets that intimate.

Do bring it up and do be blunt about it. Either he will understand and things will work out or his true colors will show and you should find someone who will treat you better.

5. Stewie

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Always be blunt with men,(well straight men at least) the majority of them are dumb lol That's what we do with each other blunt and to the point, it saves so much time

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2016 at 10:47 PM ----------

Just wanted to point out that's the first time I've excluded myself when talking about being straight, didn't notice until after I had typed it :icon_bigg

6. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be blunt. Got it. Thank you all.

:thumbsup:

#6 LostInDaydreams, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  7. YeahpIdk

The gender stuff in here is annoying me a little, lol. I'm not a male, and I HATE when people aren't honest and to the point. Being honest is being mature, but anyway. I agree when others say to tell your partner how you feel. He may be upset. I think I'd be upset if someone told me they didn't want to have sex with me in a way that I liked having it. Maybe he's not that into it?? Doubtful, lol - but who knows. Either way, be honest because you shouldn't be doing anything, especially sexually, that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I would get ready for a bit of upset on his part. It also might be a deal breaker, but if it is, then maybe you need to find another relationship. You both can also work on ways to integrate something else in place of that. Instead of A, maybe do B instead. In the end, if you're not respected for your wants and needs, then it's not a good situation and you'll have to reevaluate. If this person values you and the relationship, and there are other options on the table for the same kind of goal oriented action, you should be able to work things out. There are many other things to do, so... you've got options!

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then I'm extremely immature, and caught between a rock and hard place.

I wouldn't have thought it would be a deal breaker at this stage. We've been together for years and have a daughter, but I might be wrong.

To be honest, I'm not in a position to separate from him or begin those kind of discussions yet. This is more about making things more bearable until that point comes, so I don't really want to do something else instead. I just want to go to sleep really.

9. YeahpIdk

That was in regard to not beating around the bush. You said partner - didn't know it was a marriage. I'd still stand by my comment that if your husband gets mad at you for not wanting to give him head then it's a pretty big issue. Good luck!

10. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for any misunderstanding or confusion. We're not married, but live as if we are, hence 'partner'. I appreciate it wasn't clear, but was just looking for general advice.

Everyone's different, I suppose, but I don't think he's got any right to get mad, he's not entitled to it. It wouldn't bother me if it was the other way around.

I think this thread was a bad idea. I know that I'm not being fair to him in this, and how I'm coming across, but it's helpful to have an outlet. I know I'm not considering him as much as I probably should be, but I want to be in a position to be able to support myself and my daughter before I act on anything. I know I should be honest with him, but it's too risky at the moment. I know I'm not handling it well.

#10 LostInDaydreams, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  11. Really

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I can't imagine.

Could you maybe say to him that you've been feeling a bit lost with regards to how your life/job/career is or isn't progressing and it's consuming your emotions at the moment. You're not feeling sexy nor that you can enjoy being sexy but you're fine with him taking care of himself.

Tell him you'd like to take steps to figure out and grow this other side of your life.

I'm guessing/hoping he wants you to be the best you you can be and will accept your wishes.

12. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, that's a good idea. We don't really communicate about these things, so I'm not sure how I'd go about it.

I don't offer him any encouragement. I just stick to my side of the bed and tell him to stick to his, and sometimes he takes the hint. When he does't I just go with it because I don't like to say no outright. I think he knows that I don't really enjoying giving oral, and it doesn't happen that often. But when it does, I spend the entire time wishing it was over, and hating myself for doing it again.

13. Really

You're looking for work or career training, right? (Sorry, can't remember which.)

What if you were really obvious about this? Printing out ads and info and studying them out in the open where he can't possibly miss what you're doing? Use this to bring up the conversation that you seriously need to do this because you're unfulfilled and it's starting to mess with your head. Mention how he must have noticed that your having trouble enjoying yourself, for example, in bed.

I think it helps to have these conversations away from the moment when you're calm and he's not expecting sex right then and there.

You need to do these things anyway going forward so maybe use this as a first step towards not hiding your true needs?

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The issue isn't being blunt.

The issue is that you don't love and believe in yourself enough to believe that you deserve to ask for what you need.

You're afraid that if you ask for what you need, that it will damage the relationship with your boyfriend. That's coming from a place of not feeling worthy.

A relationship is a two-way street, and you deserve to be able to ask for what you need (as does he.) If there's a conflict, you talk about it with him. And you have the right to hold your ground; he doesn't own or control your body.

To be honest, if the relationship is healthy, he should appreciate your asking for what you need, and want to work with you to ensure that you're happy and feeling good about the relationship. If he doesn't feel that way, then he's not interested in your needs, and that isn't a sign of a healthy relationship.

You deserve to be treated well. To do that, you have to ask for what you need. If he won't honor what you need, and isn't open to discussing it, then the relationship isn't being considerate of your needs and it may not be the relationship for you.

15. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If he isn't happy with you not blowing is then he isn't right for you.. The relationship shouldn't be based on sex alone and sex is for the both of you not just him..

16. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Really. That's right, I'm starting career training soon, which he's aware of as I've been working on it at home.

To be honest, he's not massively supportive. He'll sit there watching TV, on the laptop, or whatever, while I'm trying to work, so that I'll end up trying to do my work and occupy our daughter at the same time, which is not ideal. He's not been supportive of any work or volunteering that I've done over the last few years, because it means I'm busy on his days off, so I'm expecting it to be a fight once I go back.

Thank you, Chip.

I don't think our relationship is that healthy. In the past, when I've raised issues he sometimes just laughs it off or denies that things I'm referring to ever happened.

The things is, whilst I've been a SAHM, his attitude has been that I can't possibly have any reason to be tired or sad, because I'm not working. Until recently, he would just get up in morning, go to work, come home and shower, and then sit in front of the TV until bed. His attitude was that because he was working he shouldn't have to do anything, not even make his own breakfast. Now, I know I'm a mug for going along with this, but at the beginning it was like playing nice happy families.

He's been a lot more helpful recently, ever since I refused to get a joint account with him once I go back to work. I had a few days of being angry with me; said I was unreasonable, ungrateful, and that he didn't what a relationship with partially separated finances. He said that, in theory, I should be paying for everything for a few years, because obviously I've contributed nothing of value to our relationship whilst being a SAHM. He doesn't agree that it's helped him to focus on his own career. But, I'm just venting now, so I'll stop.

17. CameOutSwinging

I'm really curious and may be asking some TMI questions here, so feel free not to answer (say NO, haha) but I'm wondering - why do you so passionately dislike giving him oral? What is behind that? Have you always disliked it or is it a reflection of the current status quo of the relationship? Have you always disliked giving it to men, period? Would you be against performing oral on a woman?

Saying NO is absolutely important. I'll be honest, from his standpoint, I think he does have the right to be frustrated by this. He doesn't have the right to treat you badly in response, but if he defines oral sex as a need of his and can't get it from his partner, it is absolutely frustrating. That's not a reason for you to do it, but it could be a reason for him to decide that you're not the right person for him or that maybe there's some other solution that requires some communication with you. It definitely sounds like you guys lack in communication.

But I think you should also examine why you really really really dislike performing oral on him.

And I partly say that because my partner and I got into an argument the other day where she revealed to me that she dislikes performing oral on me because she believes I only like when she does it because I can pretend a guy is doing it. So it's a much bigger issue/statement of our relationship than simply she doesn't like it.

18. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind. :slight_smile: To be honest, I've always disliked it, and he's the only man I've been with, but if I were to enter a new relationship with man, it would be a no from the start. I've never enjoyed doing it, not even for his reaction. It's partly because I don't like the taste, and I have vomited in the past. I have to keep pausing to take deep breaths so I don't feel too sick. Just thinking about it makes me feel queasy. Also, I find it quite demeaning. He used to put his hand on the top of my head and push me down there, which doesn't help, but that did stop fairly quickly and it's not happened for years. I can't get into it, and will avoid it at all costs. I just really don't like it, but I just figured loads of other straight girls felt the same way, and just put up with it.

I wouldn't be opposed to performing oral on women. I have fantasised about it, to be completely honest. I've never fantasised about performing oral on a man, even when I thought I was completely straight, which hadn't occurred to me before. Hmmm...

I agree with you that he's got the right to be frustrated. Above, I was just thinking mad means angry, shouting, and not taking my feelings on board, which I don't think would be OK.

That's interesting. I do sometimes pretend that my partner's a woman.

19. CameOutSwinging

That's definitely interesting to me. You're definitely not alone as a person who finds performing oral to be gross/something they dislike. I even know a gay guy who do not enjoy performing it. Everybody is entitled to their own likes and dislikes. But you fantasizing about doing it to a woman might be something worth remembering.

Yes! You're absolutely right that he should not be taking out his frustrations with you at all. You should be honest with him that it is something you don't want to do, and if it becomes a deal breaker for him or a reason to consider an open relationship or something, that is for him to decide and then communicate with you. He's pretty immature and used to just getting his way if his reaction is to yell at you or anything like that.

See, I've actually never pretended my partner was a guy. That's definitely another thing you should hold onto, information wise, since you're realizing it here. It matters. :slight_smile:

20. Really

Have you ever thought about your relationship with him like this?

What if you were straight? Absolutely, 100%. Everything is exactly the same except for your sexuality.

Now. Step back and look at your relationship. Is this a person you want to spend time with? Make a life with? He sounds completely selfish to me. Sure, he can have bad days where he can't contribute to child-rearing and or house chores but every day?! This is not a partnership.

If therapy or improved communication are not in the cards, if I were you, I would start operating as if he weren't there. Do what you need to do. Need time to do your work? Is there a friend/relative/neighbour who could take your daughter for a few hours? Get your own bank account, if you haven't already, and start filling it up any chance you get.

Why not get into the mindset of "if you want something done right, you need to do it yourself"?

Is there a spare bedroom you could use? Have you been to the doctor recently? Tell him you've been told "no sex" for the foreseeable future. Including oral!