1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why now?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by foxfire, Aug 7, 2016.

1. foxfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I grew up very liberal, a member of gay-straight alliances, and mostly friends with the LGBTQIA+ community. I don't think I have ever felt "pressured" to be straight. How come now, at 23, I am finally considering the possibility of being bi or a lesbian? I've watched all my other friends come out at the ages of 12-17. I wonder if I am just "trying to be gayer" because I am lonely. I also wonder if the attraction is just based on internalized misogyny making me view women as sex objects. On the other hand, why have I always been drawn towards the LGBTQIA+ community?

All I do know is most of my sexual experiences have been with guys, and most of my crushes too. (I do have a crush I think on a female boss, but I'm not sure if it counts since we never met in person, just over skype)

I also know that all of my fantasies, dream or otherwise, for the past few months have been about women. I've actually never had a sex dream about a guy before. And when I see happy lesbian couples I feel kinda jealous. And I have been having difficulty orgasming from my current bf (we never had this trouble before)

I don't know, I posted something here before that was more organized, but it didn't get any responses. I am just trying to figure some stuff out right now. Any thoughts?

2. Really

I don't think there's any good reason for some of us. I'm older than you but am just figuring this out now when I've never had any social pressure to do one thing or the other. And I didn't grow up around any homophobia or religion that could explain a need to conform.

It just occurred to me one day when I found I was drawn to a lesbian couple being portrayed on tv and I was like, "Wait. What?.."

Try to tune in a bit more to what you feel about men vs. women. You're actually not that old to be coming to this revelation.

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you ever felt physically attracted to another woman in a romantic/sexual way?

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about your age, a lot of people are still in the first stages of discovering their attraction towards the same sex, some sooner than others, which is fine because you can't really put a time stamp on your sexuality. Everyone's journey is their own as well as unique.

#3 pinklov3ly, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  4. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good post above. Try to be specific with your experiences; did you really try but get repulsed or are u just afraid you might?

5. RosePetals76

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realized at 33. The age doesn't matter, nor does the why. It's who we are. We often see typical heterosexuality as "normal" and we just assume that's who we are, until we realize it's not. At least I feel that's how it was for me.

6. foxfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think so. I do feel attracted to women in a sexual way (looking at pictures or women irl), and I have had a few sexual experiences with women. I didn't get "repulsed." But the first 2 were threesomes with an abusive ex bf. I am pretty sure he pressured me to do more than I wanted, so I'm not sure how that could affect me.

I guess I'm trying to figure out it I'm just trying to be the "cool girl" (remember from gone girl?) which I have had trouble with, or if it is something real....