1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I sort of maybe accidentally "came out" on Facebook?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by cakepiecookie, Aug 8, 2016.

1. cakepiecookie

Okay this is kind of funny so I thought I'd share.

Context: I'm at the point where me being gay isn't a huge secret, but there are still a lot of people who don't know.

So anyway, we had Queer Pride here on the weekend, and the most spectacular float in the parade was an enormous sparkly unicorn with rainbow on its butt. The day after the parade, I was walking downtown and found the same float abandoned in an empty parking lot. Obviously I climbed on top of it and had my friend snap a picture of me dancing on it like an idiot. Then I posted it to Facebook. To me and anyone local, the picture was clearly taken in a parking lot, but what didn't occur to me was that to my overseas friends (I'm an expat), it totally looks like I was in the actual parade. :eek:

Anyway...today I've had two friends message me to ask how I ended up on such a cool float in the Pride parade. :lol: I told them the story of course, but if two people assumed it then no doubt others have too.

I'm not going to address it. I obviously didn't intend this as a coming out, but if people assume/suspect I'm LGBT because this, fine by me. I just find it pretty funny (and slightly terrifying) that after all these years in the closet, this is how it happens. :eusa_doh:

Has anyone else "come out" by accident?

2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the rainbow unicorn part!

I almost had a similar experience.

(For background, I'm bisexual and in an opposite-sex marriage, in the process of coming out publicly, feeling at times like I'm swimming against this strong hetero current.)

One of my internal goals has been to eventually be Facebook Out. I'm targeting September 23 for that, Celebrate Bisexuality Day. So that's always in the back of my mind anyways. For awhile now, I've had a jpeg image of the Bi Pride flag saved on my computer, ready for that eventual post. (On a couple of occasions, I've gotten reasonably close to an F It All, I'm Doing It! point, but not yet). I still need to tell my parents and my brother first, I'd prefer they hear it from me first.

Anyways, I went to my first PrideFest this year, and I clicked the 'Going' button on FB. Of course, this announces to the world. My 73-yo Mom posts, "Is your band playing there?" I replied, "No, my band is playing out-of-town that night, I am going to PrideFest earlier in the day." I waited for follow-up questions. Nothing. *crickets* If I'd gotten one, I'd have called Mom, told her I'm bi, then gone back to FB and hoisted that flag.

So, I understand your experience.

I'm really looking forward to being 100% out and proud. My parents are visiting this weekend, and I'm hoping for the opportunity to talk then...

#2 Adray, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  3. cakepiecookie

Oh lord, that's funny Adray. Do you think your mother was afraid to ask, or just oblivious?

Facebook is so risky with stuff like that. I try to be somewhat careful as I'm not out to my mother, but at this point I've probably slipped up at least a few times. And even if a "like" doesn't mean much on its own, there are only so many LGBT things you can be interested in without people connecting the dots.

4. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    LOL, you came out on Facebook riding a giant rainbow butt unicorn. That is literally the best funny coming out story ever.

5. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go through this every time I see an LGBT page I want to "like..." I know it doesn't mean anything, and I'm not sure anyone really pays attention to what others like, but I don't want to throw up any red flags. Like you said, only so many before people start connecting dots...if I was out to those who matter I obviously wouldn't care.

6. LeticiaTheLesbo

That's hilarious! I really wanna find a picture of this unicorn now!!

7. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. Great story! :lol: