1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I am ready to come out to my wife

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by oldpulteney, Aug 14, 2016.

1. oldpulteney

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    After three years for being partially outed to my family by my sister, I think I am at a point where I don't think there are any solid reasons for delaying coming out to my wife of 8 years but I have no idea how I should go about it. How do I break it to her? I have been wanting to write this for some time but just thinking about it makes me anxious and I try not to think about it and put it off for later. But I don't think I should delay any longer. I think I have caused enough damage to my wife's self esteem and sexual esteem already. For the past 2 years we I have tried to weasel my way out of having sex every opportunity I could get and she has asked me countless times what was wrong and if I found her attractive. I usually came up with lame excuses of being tired or stressed out about work to avoid having sex. Last night it was all I could do to keep myself from getting physically sick while my wife was kissing me.
    Other than the sex bit my wife and I get along really well. Sure, there are arguments and fights but I think over the past years especially the past two years we have developed a pretty good relationship and I think that when I come out and its time to separate/divorce I don't think she will keep our 7 year old son away from me. I still wake up in the morning thinking coming out is a bad idea. The thought of not seeing my son everyday tears me up inside.
    I am trying to convince my wife to go see a therapist for issues with depression that she has had in the past but I think it will be extremely important for her once I come out to her.
    I am still conflicted about whether I should tell her about my infidelities over the past years. I knew I was gay since as long as I remember but as I grew older I genuinely thought that I could suppress it if I got married and became a family man. But I still am as gay as I was back then. The only difference is that I am comfortable with my sexuality.
    I would really appreciate ay advice I can get regarding coming out to my wife and what to expect as far as reactions go. I know everyone and every situation is different and there is no canned coming out speech and reaction but maybe I am only looking for a life line so I can actually grow a pair and just do it.

2. Eab91

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently came out to my husband. At first he was civil and fine with it. But now, since we are still living together until we each find a new place, it has become hard. There seems to be a lot of resentment... We both are unhappy now and living together has become unhealthy. We have a three year old so we are being as civil as we can. But he is playing the victim card, as if our whole marriage is gone because of me. He has cheated and emotionally abused me. I forgave him for the cheating because I loved him, so it hurts that he is acting this way. He has told me "there's nothing to work out if you are gay". I really hope your wife takes it better. If she is battling depression, I would definitely tell her easy. Maybe ask to go to a couples counseled to reveal it. I wish you luck with everything.

3. amomwhoknows

Is divorce your plan? If so, there is no reason to burden her with your cheating. When people do this, as they are exiting a marriage or relationship, it is like dumping your guilt onto her. You may do it to make yourself feel better (telling her) but it will further destroy her.

Your constant rejection is likely causing at least part of her depression. You need to tell her. And I think you need to be clear that the rejection of her is totally about you.

Offer to go to counseling with her, at least to get her started.

4. Bluesteel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my wife a little over a month ago. just giving my experience I know everyone is different. but right in the beginning it was like all hell broke loose, she was angry, sad, explosive, and a whole lot more. If you want to look at my page i started a thread about it. (I came out to my wife) I put details in there. but just to notion what EAB91 says, If your wife is already dealing with depression you might want to go to a counselor to tell her. my wife got pretty suicidal after I told her, I had to call her family and make sure they were keeping a close eye on her. plus my therapist told me its extremely common, and gave me a number to a crisis center close by just in case. I cant give you good advice on the infidelity part as i didn't have that part to my story. but if you are already leaning toward divorce, you might not want to tell her just to keep it easy on her, because its already a hard situation, but on second note since you are being honest with her you might as well come clean. personally i would. but it will ultimately depend on the situation and what you feel is the right thing to do. I hope all goes well for you, best of luck and a hug. (*hug*)

5. polecat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    oldpulteney, I can only tell you what has and is still happening to me . My wife found out and she was PISSED right off the bat . She is OK with it one minute then ready to fight and go for blood . She has every right to be mad at me and she feels like it is her fault that I am gay . I keep trying to tell her I was this way long before I met her but she does not believe me . Every day is a new day around my house and I never know what to expect ,on one hand I am glad I told her and got everything out in the open and on the other hand I wish I did not have to tell her and we could have went on with out lives.
    I messed up and cheated and got caught because I got an std from the guy. I am clean now and I have not been with another since then . I am trying to figure out what I am going to do next . I wish you all the best of luck . :slight_smile:

6. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely agree that telling her of your infidelities is pointless and cruel. It will only really serve your interests in unburdening yourself, and will do nothing to help her. You can reconcile that later when she has healed from this, or never if that works for you too.

I came out to my wife two months ago. I am two weeks away from coming out to my kids, then other family and friends. Once I reached self-acceptance of my sexuality, almost immediately I felt an overwhelming urge to come out. Publicly, to everyone, and just come clean with all who know me. The urge was so strong I was ready to put it on Facebook and tell all. Thank God I came to my senses before I outed myself any further than my wife. I really needed the time to figure myself out, and the last two months have helped me and my wife come to terms with me coming out, us divorcing, and me moving out.

One of the things I learned from her after we really began talking about it was that she had a different interpretation of our lack of sex than I did. Of course, I knew why I didn't want to have sex with her and avoided it, but she didn't. Instead, she internalized it and thought she was the reason I was no longer interested in her sexually. Oh my God! What else was she supposed to think? I see it now so clearly, but I didn't then. Her internalized shame dealt with being too fat, too ugly, too old, too -whatever the self-critique of the day. Don't you see? For those of us gay married men who avoid sex with our wives, we end up (unwittingly) harming their self-esteem and doing as much damage to them as being in the closet does to us.

I can't promise you that it will be an easy journey for you to come out to your wife, and perhaps others, but I ended up in the final analysis before coming out to her asking myself this fundamental question: I have perhaps 30 years left of my life left (I'm 47). Is where I'm at now as a closeted married man with no sex life how I want to spend the remaining years of my life? Once I answered that question, ALL of the other questions fell like dominoes. Incredibly difficult: You bet. Will I? I have to. I simply have to.

One last thing - and I say this all who believe that a married gay man with children is "abandoning" his family by coming out and divorcing: I AM NOT ABANDONING MY FAMILY! The only thing I'm really abandoning is a marriage. A marriage that doesn't work anymore because I can no longer sustain a false intimacy. But I haven't stopped being a father to my kids or a life-partner with my soon-to-be-ex spouse.

I wish you luck. Please keep reading EC and posting with us. I believe we can help heal each other through our forum therapy.

7. ThatGirlShauna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been where you are, and I wanted to tell you that you are brave enough to do this, and to face the things that happen as a result of coming out. It is not an easy road to walk, but living an authentic life is worth it. And you are brave and strong.

It gets better. It really does. I think of my "coming out" moment as the moment my whole world burst wide open. Everything I knew was laying behind me, and in front of me was a wide open future with countless possibilities. It is SO scary, but it is worth it. And it gets so much better.

8. TravelerMe

I plan on doing the same soon so I can't give you advice there but guys I've come to know all typically say it gets better. It sounds like you are right there and ready.

Regarding infidelity I would not tell her if can. Why add that pain? If she presses you for "How do you know if you havnt been with a guy?" a good answer is how did you or does anyone know they are straight when they are 12,13 or 14 years old. At least we have a decent excuse of hiding and denial for obvious societal reasons etc. Additionally I worked through therapy to finally confirm what I knew deep down about being gay.

I also am hoping my wife gets to therapy before I tell her. Heck she might even figure it out there. If she does then she'll have and immediate place to go when I tell her.

Good luck and keep posting!

9. oldpulteney

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you very much for your replies. I finally managed to convince my wife to go to therapy. She wanted to do it through her workplace so she gets 3 free sessions but ironically they gave her the contact information for my therapist who predominantly deals with LGBT issues. My wife mentioned her by name and said she didn't want to go to her. However, she did not ask me why I was going to an LGBT therapist. At least it was a wake up call for me and I think I am ready in case she "prematurely" asks me questions about the subject. I don't think I am going to own up. I know easier said than done but that is the plan. I am going to broach the subject on Sunday after this big dinner party she has been planning for Saturday.
    amonwhoknows and others: I agree about not telling her about my infidelities at least for now. I am leaning towards a separation. I can't get a divorce at the moment due to visa issues.
    Imgay74: I already know my wife is internalizing the lack of sex and I feel very guilty about it. My wife has been vocal about it but I just couldn't come clean. I hope my coming out will help her self esteem.
    Thank you everyone for your posts and sharing your experiences. They really helped.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2016 at 05:05 PM ----------

Thanks! That really made me feel better. I just hope I can get that across to my wife.

10. amomwhoknows

If you tell her about the infidelity as you are exiting the marriage, you are adding layers of pain. Do you want to do that? If you are planning a MOM then you have to tell her and give her the choice of staying with you or not.

Who has the immigration issues? You or her?

#10 amomwhoknows, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  11. oldpulteney

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not entirely sure what a MOM is :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I don't think i'm planning one.
    We both have immigration issues but I will eventually stay in the US because of the nature of my job. However, she is a dependent so if we divorce she loses status and will have to leave the US. I don't want that for our son or for my wife. She will have a better life here than back home and so will my son. And I want to be a part of my son's life.

12. oldpulteney

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My wife finally went to see a therapist last Thursday and decided she really liked her. A friend of mine that I came out to a few years ago suggested coming out to my wife in a couples therapy session. Is that a good idea?
    BlueSteel I read your thread regarding coming out and it helped me put my thoughts in order for when I have the conversation with her. Can anyone point me to other such threads.
    Thank you for all your help!